RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > My Range Rover Sport is a Cloned Car, Stolen Vehicle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>

chisin669

United Kingdom 
My Range Rover Sport is a Cloned Car, Stolen Vehicle.

I have always wanted a Range Rover Sport for years and finally decided for go ahead with it. In Aug I came across a Range Rover sport 3.0 TDV6 2014 white on Autotrader. Fully service history with only 1 owner selling at £24,500. I quickly went to see the car in Coventry and tested out the car. The car had no problem with it and the engine sounds solid. However there are scratches all over the car and scuffed all wheels. The seller requesting a cash deal and told me he wanted to sell this quick as he is going bankrupt. I believed him and he said if I give him a deposit of £1000, he would give me a car key to secure the car so that he wont sell to no one else.

I came to some alert at one point since the car is so cheap comparing to the market price. Market price should be around £30k with good condition. However I checked the log book and it was park at the drive way of where the car is registered to, so I thought let's gamble on it. He agreed to give me some time to gather the cash.

During the time, I kept contacting this person and check if he is able to accept bank transfer etc. But the answer is no, also he said he would give me back the deposit and sell to someone else if I can't get the cash. I was suspicious all the time and got other people to call this person to give him offers and see if he only wants to con the deposit out of people. But he doesn't answers, so I thought he is genius and kept his promise to sell to me.

I also asked he can provide ID such as driving licence or passport, but he said his driving licence is sent off to the DVLA for change of address as he is also selling the house, which matches his explanation for going bankruptcy. With the passport, he said he lost it some while ago as he claimed himself to be an untidy person. However during my first car view, I saw his birth Certificate in the car, it clearly stated his name on it. He said I should have more trust and we could close the deal inside his house (where the address is stated on the logbook) and provide some utility bills to provide that is his house.

I have done 3 HPI tests, all shown the car is cleared with no finance, no accident and not a stolen car.

Finally I decided to go down with the cash, our agreed price was £22,700. I did think if he car has anything wrong as it's so much cheaper. I went to consult some other friends with more car experience, they all said it's abit doggy but sometimes it can happen if the seller is needed some money quick.

I went down with 2 other people, one is a mechanic for many years. When I got there I asked if I could use his toilet so I could go into the house. I went inside the house and it all seems legitimate, I was shown to the toilet by the seller's daughter with is about 5 years old. I saw the seller's wife and all his family picture hanging on the wall.

It was board day light, me and my mechanic friend checked the car again from inside out. We went through all the paper works, service history etc which all tied up with the HPI test. We deliberately checked the VIN number on the wind screen, under the bonnet and under the car, they all matches with the log book and HPI test.

I finally decided to go for it. Paid the seller inside his house. He even warned me to drive safely since the car is not yet transfer and he doesnt want any penalty point. He even gave me the entire Logbook and ask me to send it off myself.

I sent off the Logbook the next day and got it insured. After couple of weeks later I received a letter from DVLA saying the have received my application and in the process of dealing with it.

I drove it for 6 weeks without any problem. Then I received another letter from the local police saying they have been instructed by DVLA to come and check my car. Finally when they came, they confirmed my car has been cloned. The police officer said the car was stolen and has been put on another car's identity. They even told me the car was stolen from London 10 days before I brought it.

Can anyone suggest what I can do? Now I am left without a car.

The officer took my car did not even give me any paperwork to sign, is this suppose to be like this? No even a case reference?

Now the car's been taken away, the officer did not even take a statement from me. They don't seems to be bother with where I brought the car from.

I understand and accepted the fact that I have lost money this time, but can they try to get this criminal in prison. Do I have to call the police and open up a separate case for it?

Anyone had this unfortunate experience before? Help

Post #437602 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:08pm
Andyjay123

Oops

Post #437603 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:15pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

So so many questions......

Solicitor....

Post #437604 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:30pm
Andyjay123

Police should of taken a statement and given you a reference number
Were they real police?

Post #437607 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:38pm
chisin669

United Kingdom 

Andyjay:

True, i noticed something wrong. But all the documents seems to be right.

1) it was parked at the registered address
2) the V5 was there
3) VIN numbers matches
4) was in his house with his daughter and wife

Post #437609 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:43pm
chisin669

United Kingdom 

Andyjay,

I was given a card and two cops with uniform came. I guessed they would be real. If they are fake, this world must be bloody wrong. No statements or case reference number given

Post #437611 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:45pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you may have recourse from the HPI companies, but by paying cash, i guess you won't

as the saying goes, if it seems too good a deal, its not

I would have asked to see a letter from the liquidators saying he could sell of assets, as i think they could have claim on it too

have you been back to his house, spoke with neighbours etc to see if this person is still there or has ever been?

Post #437615 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:56pm
MAW

Cannot see seizure without some paperwork ????

Did either officer look like the seller??

Post #437617 Wed Sep 24 2014 3:58pm
Andyjay123

I purchased my £35k car and after 2 weeks the police took it away but left me with the paperwork.
I know how you feel however I was lucky and got the cr back

Post #437619 Wed Sep 24 2014 4:00pm
Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I would get down to your local police station, or any police station nearby pronto.

Then I would drop by to the 'previous owners' house and question him. LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #437620 Wed Sep 24 2014 4:02pm
Andyjay123

If address and VIN matched how could it be stolen?
I think that the man who sold it to you now has it back on his own drive as you (stupidly) paid him in cash so cannot prove you purchased it from him

Post #437621 Wed Sep 24 2014 4:03pm
MAW

Fake V5??

But surely a knock on the door would enlighten you?

Post #437624 Wed Sep 24 2014 4:24pm
Nick Sale

I would contact the police.
If the guy is such a brazen criminal, he is not the sort of person to go and visit.

Post #437625 Wed Sep 24 2014 4:30pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What does this throw up if you put the data in?

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #437629 Wed Sep 24 2014 4:53pm
chisin669

United Kingdom 

I think it's not worth going down to the house. If this scam is done with the household and family members, I guess it's a big group of them and it's well organised. Serioously I never thought this could happen to me, especially he made it such a scene, with the house, family photos, and kids etc.

All officers seems proper, but somehow dont' know why I didn't get anything from them when they took the car away. I contacted the number shown on the police card, they said it is a case belong to the metropolitan in london and the car is with them now. Not sure if it's true tho. Got another call back from a officer attended the collection of my car, she said the same thing as well. None of them officers came looked like the seller who sold me the car.

I really believed this is a well organised criminal group but don't know where and what I should do.

Andyjay: you mention you had a similar experience but got your car back, how?

If I go down to the local police, will they deal with it or just say the same thing as well?

Post #437633 Wed Sep 24 2014 5:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>