RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Week Old Sport 2014 - STOLEN
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Oh, I think you have every right to be bitter about it. Like a rabbit caught in car's headlights, Land Rover has been paralysed into inaction. There's a clear exposure which is being exploited and in spite of previous assurances that they would do something about it, the people in Gaydon have seemingly done nothing.

I think you could claim that the car is not fit for purpose and go to court - or at least threaten to do so - to get your money back. A car which is secured and both sets of keys still with the owner should, short of lifting it, be un-stealable and certainly un-startable, and until Land Rover and their dealers are told in a Court of Law that their product is not fit for purpose and made to compensate everyone for their losses, they will carry on regardless.

So, in parallel with dealing with your insurance company, you should get in touch with a solicitor and get a letter to the dealer that the car is not fit for purpose and was sold to you in the full knowledge of this vulnerability. Having both sets of keys still in your possession is key.

There needs to be an urgent recall of every car with this vulnerability to close down the ability to clone keys from the OBD port and a lot of thought given to whether remote unlocking, keyless entry and keyless start are sufficiently secure given what is happening. just think of GM, Toyota, Firestone to see what happens when recalls don't happen.

I certainly wish you luck, because if you are able to get Land Rover and their dealers to own up to their responsibilities, you will ultimately be helping us all. In the meantime, I'm ordering a Disclok steering wheel lock because I expect the Evoque is just as vulnerable. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Last edited by Mark_N on Tue Aug 12 2014 3:45pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433005 Tue Aug 12 2014 3:38pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Part of the problem is that LR did not supply the vehicle, the dealer did. It's the big problem with the franchised dealer model - at least from the customer's position anyway. The manufacturers like it because they don't have to deal with the end user.

The only way LR will sort out this sort of problem is if it's widely publicised and sales begin to suffer. It would probably take a piece on the 6 o'clock news to get LR to notice/care.

Yes, your contract is with the dealer and they will quickly squeal if taken to court for supplying a car which is vulnerable. Your other avenue is the motoring press though there are too many Land Rover acolytes to necessarily get the exposure you need. The magazines thrive on LR advertising and a rather closer than ideal relationship to ensure scoops, leaks and product to review.

Certainly, a letter to the dealer principal is likely to set their nerves on edge. Mark

Post #433007 Tue Aug 12 2014 3:43pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Gutted for you. I hope you get a quick and satisfactory outcome.

There was an interesting article on Sky News a few weeks ago about cloning keys but I am not sure if any manufacturers have taken action. Perhaps if a prominent motoring magazine gets involved and starts to call out guilty manufacturers on a regular basis they may take action.

I honestly have never seen keyless start as nothing more than a gimmick and would happily turn a key to start my car!

It looks like a steering lock or a wheel lock when I get my new RRS.

Jas

Post #433008 Tue Aug 12 2014 3:50pm
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

To the OP sorry about your car.

But wow, the comments on here make me wonder just how some of you have managed to afford a RRS given the stupidity of the comments.

Comparing having a bank getting hacked and the bank refunding your money? Really? Pretty sure they give you the money back because it was stolen while they were looking after it. News flash, your car (money) was not stored in a land rover dealership (bank) so the bank (land rover) have no control over who steals it. Difference is, there are no safety precautions on money and it can be stolen off you at any point by anyone, a car requires people with sophisticated equipment who are specifically targeting your car.

Cars have been stolen since they first went on general sale, people on here acting like this is a new thing and exclusive to RRS or land rovers are delusional or living in a bubble. There is no such thing as an unstealable car, but most people won't waste their time stealing an old banger that will make them no money so they target expensive desirable cars such as BMWs or land rovers.

When you buy something desirable no matter what it is, you have a responsibility to take precautions. I don't rely on a single lock on my house even though that's all it and with as I don't want my valuables stolen. If they are I have insurance, but I still have an alarm as well as full perimeter security cameras and a gate to protect my property. With my car, I have a tracker and I will be getting a vehicle with the secure option where the vehicle can be tracked through an app next year. Will it completely safeguard the car? I don't know but it will help. I also try to only park in secure car parks that are monitored although I know this isn't always possible. If you want to be lazy and not walk an extra 5 minutes for that or don't want to pay for parking when there's a cheaper car park that's your choice but it's called mitigating your losses.

I don't carry large sums of cash on me, if I get mugged they get plastic that I can have cancelled as soon as I reach a phone. My phone has a key lock on it and can be remotely deactivated as well as tracked, again I don't need to do this as I have insurance but why make it easier. If my phone gets stolen can I call apple and complain that they don't make a secure enough product?

There are many silly comments on here, many silly analogies. If cars didn't get stolen then insurance would be solely for accidents yet guess what, it's for theft as much as accidents. But of course only land rover owners need theft insurance as according to some on here only land rovers get stolen.

Oh and finally, the stupid comments about being contacted and told that some people have had theirs stolen... I don't get notifications from any company that their products are desirable and people have stolen them as everything can be stolen and the people that make these products don't have a responsibility to safeguard YOUR property against theft, you and your insurance company do. I don't want a letter everytime someone in the UK has a car stolen and nor would most rational and normal people. Get a grip.

Sadly I joined the forum thinking positive and productive information would be gained from being a member, but when you read some of these comments it just reminds me of the stupidity of some of the human race.

Post #433025 Tue Aug 12 2014 6:25pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Clearly, there's something in the water in Birmingham which has lead to these ramblings.

The key point is that there is a known vulnerability to theft which LR have not responded to and as a result, cars continue to be stolen. You can argue - and I would - that since the vulnerability is not immediately apparent to those buying the cars, it should be pointed out them, if not by the dealer, then by the manufacturer and if not by the manufacturer then by the DVLA/VOSA.

I took a Porsche dealer to the cleaners for failing to tell me that the car I bought had had two previous owners, not one. There's a duty of disclosure; this not a war zone and the principle I follow is to do as I would be done unto. In this context, the dealer should have warned the OP about the known vulnerability and, in not doing so, is guilty of negligence by omission.

You may not agree, but I don't much care, hardly at all, actually. Mark

Last edited by Mark_N on Tue Aug 12 2014 7:41pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433028 Tue Aug 12 2014 6:59pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Well said Mark Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #433030 Tue Aug 12 2014 7:14pm
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It looks like a steering lock or a wheel lock when I get my new RRS.

Jas

^^^^^^^^^
This is what we need!

Post #433032 Tue Aug 12 2014 7:26pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

All we need now is a Land Rover branded one and their humiliation will be complete... Mark

Post #433034 Tue Aug 12 2014 7:42pm
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Group buy,special deal perhaps Question

Post #433036 Tue Aug 12 2014 8:03pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Touché Mark

Jas

Post #433038 Tue Aug 12 2014 8:24pm
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

It's not just JLR that are burying their heads in the sand with this, it's all manufacturers with electronic keys.

Apologies for the daily fail link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...-seat.html

Post #433042 Tue Aug 12 2014 8:49pm
Mikey72

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

viper wrote:
Well said Mark Thumbs Up

Laughing

What was well said? That LR have a known vulnerability that has not been addressed? Wow ok really are all deluded. Go do some research on car theft and you will see that ALL cars can be stolen.

Yet more utter nonsense about how you should get a warning that it could be stolen when you buy it? I think Mark N would actually have to buy a car before it could be stolen, how many has he supposedly been going to buy so far that have never materialised?

If you have such a hatred (don't claim you don't all of your posts sound like a Whiney little kid) then why are you "supposedly" still sitting with one on order?

Oh and I call BS on your taking the dealer to the cleaners just like your stupid comment about suing a dealer over the fact that thieves can steal a car. You clearly know nothing of the legalities of fit for purpose as the purpose of a car is to transport you, you cannot sue anyone over the fact that criminals can steal it anymore than you could if the sat nav was rubbish or seats weren't comfy.

There is no negligence in a retailer not telling people that thieves can steal things, boy oh boy what a wonderful little world you live in.

Please post some more utter rubbish as it really is quite amusing how little sense you make. You spend a lot of time on here judging by your posts for someone who hasn't owned a LR since I've been on here berating the people you are going to buy a car from. Very strange

Post #433049 Tue Aug 12 2014 9:21pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

Just a thought... if the thieves gain access by jamming the remote key fob signal, so that the car is not locked allowing them access, then why use the remote function? New models have touch sensitive unlock / lock facility, I am not able to confirm if MY 2010 on has this function, I'm sure lots of you will know, so if the car is locked in this way, they cannot intercept the remote signal......
I appreciate the OP states the alarm was set off so he had to disable by remote, but in the majority of situations the touch pad on the door handle could be used, it's how I lock mine, can someone with technical knowledge confirm this would help?

Andrew 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #433050 Tue Aug 12 2014 9:35pm
rangerover1sttimer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I've noticed on this forum (not just on this topic) that on a fair number of occasions that a relevant discussion will develop between members which is important based on real experiences and issues that JLR customers are facing and someone like Mikey72 pops up and posts something which is simply tries to disrupt the flow of the discussion by calling people stupid and directly attacking other contributors. The post has no real positive contribution to the discussion, no real life experience which is relevant it just tries to discredit others who have posted.

Mikey72 posts are designed to divert a perfectly sensible discussion about the issues we face and turn the topic into name calling and bitching which will disrupt the purpose of the original discussion - unacceptable security holes in JLR products.

Usually these sort of posts appear when the topic becomes overly negative about JLR...hmmmm strange.

Post #433051 Tue Aug 12 2014 9:55pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Wow, you two (M&M) fight like a bitter, soon-to-separate couple. I just fail to comprehend how you can be so passionate unless on one side you had your own LR stolen and on the other side you are the designer/manufacturer taking criticism as a personal insult. Chill guys!

Post #433052 Tue Aug 12 2014 9:56pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>