RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Two months in....the story so far (Hint:it's not a good one)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Gal Dove

Two months in....the story so far (Hint:it's not a good one)

If I'd taken delivery of this car on the 1st April then I'd still be expecting someone to jump out of somewhere and tell me that it has all been a joke. But I didn't, I picked it up on the 2nd April.

Problem 1: A few days in and it's time to familiarise myself with what's under the bonnet - washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant, etc. All good.....until I try to close the bonnet. The N/S catch would not well, catch. So, I'm left with a car that keeps bonging away warning me that somethings open until I can get it to the dealership to be sorted.

Solution: Apparently Range Rover bonnets all have to be slammed shut from quite a height so that both sides engage. The fact that the O/S engages with just a 'normal' run up didn't seem to matter to the tech guy. It's still not right.

Problem 2: Road roar from the 22 inch wheels. They make a noise.

Solution: Live with it. Fussy, aren't you?

Problem 3: On proudly washing the car for the first time I notice that the N/S aluminium strip that covers the trough for the roof transport system, etc. appeared to be stuck on to the car with what seemed to be some sort of double sided rubber sticky tape. The front half of the strip was just sitting in its trough - not stuck in at all. I initially thought that I could push it down and that it just needed clipping in but no, it didn't want to stay in its trough at all. Not that I'd have any intention of doing so but if I'd happened to have driven the car at high speed on a derestricted autobahn or similar, this would have definitely undressed itself. Awful.

Solution: New strip ordered, colour match painted and fitted. Evoque on loan with a £750 insurance excess whilst this was being sorted.

Problem 4: Rear O/S mud flap found to have a 3 to 5 mm gap between the top edge and bottom of the rear PU.

Solution: Dealer fit issue. Refitted properly.

Problem 5: 5 to 10 mmm gap discovered running the full width of the car between the boot seal and the top of the rear PU mouldings. (See previous post on this issue regarding build quality issues). Three other brand new cars in the dealership were also found to have this unique 'ventilation gap'. It was also noted that, as this gap runs below the level of the rear door seal, water would pour in to the gap - should you decide to have a go at the full one metre wadding depth.

Solution: New car requested.

So, there you go. Total sh**e. So disappointed - just can't believe that a car of this price (£65k) is wheeled out of the factory in the state that it was/is in.

Thanks for reading & hope you're all having a better time than I am with your RRS's!! Rolling Eyes MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)
1972 VW Bay Camper (cooled by the air alone!!)

Post #425172 Sat May 24 2014 7:00pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Sorry to hear that, I love mine! Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #425174 Sat May 24 2014 7:33pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I have the feeling the painted aluminium bodyshell is good but it's downhill from there as they attach various bits whose fit is approximate.

Chris, do you have this gap between the rear seal and the rear bumper? LR have previously said it's within spec which makes them a laughing stock. If there is nothing about your car which grates, you're indeed fortunate.

Maybe RRS ownership is characterised by months of anticipation followed by a major reality check and ensuing disappointment. The Cayenne may not look great but it's a lot better made than this - and it's made in Bratislava.

What was the dealer's reaction to a request for a new car? What's clear is that 22 inch wheels compromise the ride, maybe the 21 inchers do as well. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #425229 Sun May 25 2014 5:33pm
Gal Dove

Hi Mark.
I haven't had a response yet as I only emailed them (JLR) on Saturday.
In fairness, these are all Land Rover issues and are not the dealerships fault. They have only sold me a car (that they have also bought from LR) that has been poorly built.

I don't consider myself to be fussy at all. I only expect a certain standard of build quality in a car that I've just paid £65k in cash for. Maybe people who buy these things on the never-never aren't so bothered about a bloody great hole around the boot as they just regard the car as costing them three or four hundred quid a month - or whatever the going rate is these days. Having worked bloody hard for my money I'm understandably 'upset' when I find that the car is a bag of sh@te.

Having just got out of a 911 and in to this car I can tell you that there are plenty of Porsche owners who seem to possess bucket loads of tolerance and understanding when it comes to build quality and dealership service. I've witnessed some sycophantic t@@ts literally thanking Porsche for poor service. Unfortunately this is what keeps standards nice & mediocre for the rest of us.

Will report back when I hear from JLR Group. MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)

Post #425233 Sun May 25 2014 6:44pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Paintwork seems pretty thin. Reversed out of the drive yesterday, and and allowed a newly grown piece of bramble to slide across the driver's side. Now at least 8 scratches down to the primer each 1-2 inches long. Christ knows what it would be like after a days off roading! Tried to polish them out but no luck so far!

Post #425241 Sun May 25 2014 8:01pm
Gal Dove

Good God Bob, you poor sod! I'm going to take mine bloody green-lanning tomorrow to see how the Censored holds up!!! 😄 MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)

Post #425248 Sun May 25 2014 8:54pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Good Luck my friend!! Can you get is wrapped in time?!!
Quite frankly, it's a nice car, with great performance and roadholding etc, but it's going to be easily damaged. I'm off to the dealers tomorrow ostensibly to drive a 4.4 RRS tdv8, but my plans are changing.

Post #425251 Sun May 25 2014 9:08pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

If there's also a problem with LR's paint process, that's a real concern. Blame the move to water based paints, the paint seems to take a long time to harden and is susceptible to stone chips during its early life.

I wonder if there are quality concerns with the FFRR or is this a RRS thing?

Gal Dove, I don't think you are being fussy at all and LR will not be shaken from their lethargy unless owners complain. The concern of course is that demand for the car is such that they are cutting corners in production to get the things out the door.

As for dealers, it's difficult to think of any mainstream marque which have got it right. My experience of Porsche is not bad, that of Land Rover and Mercedes poor. I think it depends more on the individual dealership than the marque, especially since companies like Stratstone operate dealerships for a variety of brands. Mark

Post #425263 Mon May 26 2014 4:21am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

IMO, Lexus dealers are the best for customer service. Regards

Malcolm

Post #425277 Mon May 26 2014 10:30am
UK Guy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

+1 Lexus /Toyota dealers I rate as no. 1 RRS HSE with a few extras & a
2013 RRS Autobiography

Post #425300 Mon May 26 2014 5:41pm
Gal Dove

Hi Uk Guy. I see you have a HSE; can I assume that you also have the gap around the underside of your boot door seal? MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)

Post #425317 Mon May 26 2014 7:48pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Mark_N wrote:
If there's also a problem with LR's paint process, that's a real concern. Blame the move to water based paints, the paint seems to take a long time to harden and is susceptible to stone chips during its early

Land rovers been using water based paint for 15+ years! not a recent move Thumbs Up

They can pick up chips, but all cars do Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #425345 Tue May 27 2014 12:43am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Indeed and it is still my experience that water based paint hardens over time and becomes more resistant to stone chips and scratches. In my experience (though I expect not yours), fresh paint needs to be treated with care for the first few weeks or months. Mark

Post #425380 Tue May 27 2014 1:11pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I seem to remember some years ago that Volvo advised against putting a new car through an automatic washer for at least 6 months because of their transition to water based paint

Post #425388 Tue May 27 2014 2:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 

All cars pick up chips though - very annoying - I don't think there is any special formula - certainly not sure you can do a lot about it Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #425418 Tue May 27 2014 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>