Home > General (L494) > New RRS - Don't Bother
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Miles121

United Kingdom 
New RRS - Don't Bother

Dear All

Thought I would share my experience.

Previous - 62 plate RRS HSE SDV6, absolutely brilliant car, couldn't fault it.

So you can imagine my excitement after waiting 6 months to take delivery of my brand new RRS autobiography. Well that was 2 months ago and I'm sorry to say its going, I kid you not. Forget about the fact that the central locking was faulty, the auto head lights faulty, the horrible rubbing sound every time you turned the car. Forget that, its the way it made me feel, or should I say the way it didn't. I have willed myself to love it but who am I kidding.
Look we buy these cars because of how they look and how they make us feel. This one has left me cold. This was top of the range and it looks like a £25k Evoque. Sure it has lots of clever gismos, but it doesn't feel like a £80k car, it doesn't feel like a RRS. It feels sterile, it feels like a faceless Toyota. I have driven the new FF RR and that is a different story, that's excellent, that still feels like a RR.

Interestingly the murmurous around the trade seem to be saying the same thing. Look if you have never had a RRS before you will know doubt love it. But if you already have one think long and hard....

Post #424770 Tue May 20 2014 4:33pm
hornbaek

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Bonatti Grey

Having owned 6 previous FFs and one RRS i can see where you are coming from. The "feel" is different. I find the dampening worse on the new cars and built quality is poor. However, the new supercharged RRS drives much better than the old FF and RRS that both drove life barges at speed. I still think that the previous Westminster was the best of the range - price and quality considered.

Post #424777 Tue May 20 2014 6:24pm
Peterlondon

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Maybe I am still in a honeymoon period but I have just moved from a MY10 TDV8 to a 3.0 HSE Dynamic and I am delighted so far with the quality of the interior, the ride quality, the performance and the options.

Post #424795 Tue May 20 2014 8:44pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

The FF and RRS are built on the same production line, same engines (give or take), the same in-car electronics and much shared technology. So where is the difference which makes the FFRR so much more attractive in your view? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #424796 Tue May 20 2014 8:51pm
oldcro

Scotland 

I also had one of the last Westminsters (2012) and changed it not because of any problems with it. just fed up with the poor (non existing service from the dealer).

I part exchanged the Westminster for a Porsche Cayenne S Diesel and while being a different vehicle so cannot compare one with the other, I have lost the dread of ever having to go back to my Land Rover dealer for more bullshite and lies.

I now drive a vehicle which is cheaper to run and maintain, faster and comfortable enough for my needs. In fairness the Westminster was great, I just grew to hate it because of the way I was treated by the dealer. Land Rover did fight my case with the dealer but achieved nothing in the end which made me look at alternative makes.

Post #424797 Tue May 20 2014 9:00pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Oh well, it should be easy for you to sell. Thumbs Up

No at all problems with mine. Very Happy Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #424799 Tue May 20 2014 9:11pm
puldruk

United Kingdom 

Be interesting to know what you get for it when you trade it in/sell it. Let us know, thanks!

Post #424801 Tue May 20 2014 9:27pm
rangiejools

Australia 

Friend of mine went from X5 to new RRS SDV6 a few months ago and absolutely loves it.. he says it is so much better than the X5 in every way. Also no problems at all.
Hopefully mine due next week will be the same. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #424818 Wed May 21 2014 12:02am
robot

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I understand exactly where you are coming from but this is more down to the individual rather than a view on the car which from your heading ( don't bother ) is probably a bit unfair , I had a 650 bmw and couldn't get on with it a short while after i bought a 10 yr old Nissan x trail ( which we still have ) and absolutely love it , I bought a evoque but still preferred the xtrail , before my current 2013 be I had a 06 2.7 rr sport se and preferred that to my current se don't know why it just held in my affection maybe the be is a bit sterile , I think it's just how it grabs you ( that should say current BE ) even now I am just as happy in my £1500 x trail , a good idea is maybe buy a old defender use it and try to appreciate the RR , I am now looking forward to my 2014/5 which my dealer tells me is still on for the 20 th July good luck in your decision Rob Razz

Post #424832 Wed May 21 2014 7:26am
BKHK

Australia 

Funny that Rangiejools, my experience was opposite! Where are you on the Peninsula? I used to live in Sorrento before moving to WA. Great spot down there but I don't miss the brutal southerlies associated with a cold front.

Post #424851 Wed May 21 2014 10:46am
Summy25

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Hi Miles - did you lose any money. , did you sell it back to the dealer? Or sell privately ?

Just curious as I am upgrading mine to the RR, as I am still not convinced with the back end of the RRS

Post #424875 Wed May 21 2014 2:55pm
Miles121

United Kingdom 

Hi Guys

The "dealer" I bought it from, didn't want to know. He graciously said he would sell it on my behalf as long as I bought a Full Fat from him Shocked

Mark_N - point taken, I think its the look and feel. The RRS backside is boring in my opinion.
Puldruk - another "decent" dealer has offered me £4k under retail for it. Which i think is quite good.
robot - point taken - don't bother a bit unfair. What I mean is what should be a natural progression isn't a done deal. As I said b4 its just not special enough for £80k.
Summy25 - £4k under original invoice.

I have borrowed a new FFRR for a few days off a mate, I know it has similar technology engines etc, but in my opinion it still feels special. For some reason the RRS just doesn't have it. If you look a the old Autobiography RRS it looks special, the new one looks just like all the rest.

I am test driving a Cayenne S diesel at the weekend and will also look at the Q7. If neither of them do it for me I will get a new FFRR. I love the brand its just this model....Its just boring (sorry if I offend, not intended)

Post #424880 Wed May 21 2014 3:18pm
Summy25

Hi Miles, 4k loss is not that bad!

I know what you mean about not 'feeling like a 80k car' , however do you not think that is down to the weight loss?

The new RRS is 360 kg lighter - which can make it feel cheaper than the old model??

Post #424882 Wed May 21 2014 3:39pm
Chrisr1806

England 

The old one was a tarted up Discovery, new one is in a different league. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #424896 Wed May 21 2014 5:42pm
Summy25

As car models age the strategy now is 'evolution' look at audi - the next model is always similar to the previous model.

However the difference between the new RRS and the old model is HUGE - could be from a different decade

The old shape now looks so dated

Post #424899 Wed May 21 2014 6:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>