RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Sat nav screen turns off when I start the car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

57TDV8

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Sat nav screen turns off when I start the car?

...am I imagining this, but I'm sure the LR screen stayed on whilst I put the key in and started the car, but now it flicks off, then comes back with LR logo, then sat nav, as if starting the car is rebooting it? Did it always do this or is this a fault, only a few weeks into ownership so not sure if it's me or the car? Shocked

Seems to also take a few more turns to start now as well, new battery & alternator done a couple of weeks back, but I have been doing a lot of short journeys, does low battery cut off stuff like the sat nav etc? When my alternator was packing up, the rear demister didn't work as according to Guava tech guy, it conserves power...

Post #373604 Fri Feb 15 2013 6:06pm
57TDV8

Maybe I am going mad, this video shows a car with the same 'fault' at around 2:00...

Rolling with laughter

Post #373612 Fri Feb 15 2013 6:55pm
57TDV8

Does this thread/post put me in the same category of front wheels getting dirty? Laughing

Post #373618 Fri Feb 15 2013 7:19pm
DaveRRS

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Pretty sure mine flicks off and then on again, don't think it's a fault. 2007 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R

Post #373668 Sat Feb 16 2013 9:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

For me this was a sign of the battery going. A new battery and screen stays on now Very Happy 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #373681 Sat Feb 16 2013 12:03pm
57TDV8

RRS_PAT wrote:
For me this was a sign of the battery going. A new battery and screen stays on now Very Happy

Just got a new battery, but like I said, loads of short trips recently, so maybe isn't getting a proper charge? The alternator /battery are brand new and was tested delivering 14.2V so will see how it is after a longer run. Taking 1/2 a second longer to fire up feels like a similar issue, maybe the car diverts all aux power to the starter motor if the battery charge is abit low, hence the Sat Nav flicks off.

Can anybody else verify if this is normal or a fault?

Post #373683 Sat Feb 16 2013 12:41pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Mine does the same thing. Sat Nav Starts up when I put the key in and then reboots when the engine is started. Drives me mad. Combined with the stupid 'agree' button thing it is a bad start to every journey. My battery read 12.5 volts across the terminals yesterday with engine off and about 5 hours since last run. Hardly a dead battery? Fully charging the battery doesn't make any difference. The only other symptom is the 'HDC fault ...' message usually popping up on any longish trip just after the gearbox does one of its random rough shifts. Last time the cruise control cancelled itself at the same time. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #373755 Sun Feb 17 2013 3:54pm
57TDV8

Paddi wrote:
Mine does the same thing. Sat Nav Starts up when I put the key in and then reboots when the engine is started. Drives me mad. Combined with the stupid 'agree' button thing it is a bad start to every journey. My battery read 12.5 volts across the terminals yesterday with engine off and about 5 hours since last run. Hardly a dead battery? Fully charging the battery doesn't make any difference. The only other symptom is the 'HDC fault ...' message usually popping up on any longish trip just after the gearbox does one of its random rough shifts. Last time the cruise control cancelled itself at the same time.

I get the LR home screen upon unlocking the car, but turning it over blanks the screen & the it appears to restart the sat nav, LR logo then the"I Agree" prompt... 2010 TDV8...

Post #373767 Sun Feb 17 2013 6:33pm
Paddi

Embarassed Checked this afternoon and mine does exactly same as yours. i.e. starts up on unlock and reboots when engine started. Engine starts up very readily though. I'm guessing there is a voltage drop when the starter kicks in and this causes the sat nav to reboot but need an electronics expert to explain it and suggest a fix. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #373778 Sun Feb 17 2013 8:15pm
57TDV8

Paddi wrote:
Embarassed Checked this afternoon and mine does exactly same as yours. i.e. starts up on unlock and reboots when engine started. Engine starts up very readily though. I'm guessing there is a voltage drop when the starter kicks in and this causes the sat nav to reboot but need an electronics expert to explain it and suggest a fix.

Engine starts readily enough, but maybe not as readily as before, still within 0.5 seconds. I have Guava sorting out the hydro-bushes tomorrow, they're picking it up from home and dropping off at the end of the day, so will get their head of service's view on it tomorrow 7:30am... 2010 TDV8...

Post #373781 Sun Feb 17 2013 8:39pm
57TDV8

Paddi, I spoke to Guava's head of service James who picked my car up this morning. Basically, the car has a smart system & if the battery is lowish, it will turn off non-essential drains on the power (i.e. divert it to the starter). My battery/alternator are new so no issues there, but short trips have obviously hammered the charge abit recently... 2010 TDV8...

Post #373822 Mon Feb 18 2013 8:52am
57TDV8

Further update, battery charge was around 50% hence very slightly sluggish start & sat nav off when I turned it over, so short journeys without a decent mid-week run to my office accounts for the errors etc. Hydro-bushes done, fault codes clear (nothing of significance), head of service reckons it drives very well (and he's driven some wrecks), 15% discount off the bill for RRSport Forum, so all in all a good day despite being £495 down! Rolling with laughter 2010 TDV8...

Last edited by 57TDV8 on Mon Feb 18 2013 7:27pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #373884 Mon Feb 18 2013 5:18pm
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

sorry mate I forgot you pm'd me about this.

Cold weather mine did it yes... greater drain on the battery.

Now it's just a flicker if I keep the ignition turned a fraction too long. RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #373887 Mon Feb 18 2013 5:39pm
57TDV8

awd man wrote:
sorry mate I forgot you pm'd me about this.

Cold weather mine did it yes... greater drain on the battery.

Now it's just a flicker if I keep the ignition turned a fraction too long.

Cheers awd man, all sorted now. At least I know what causes it, was maybe getting paranoid after the alternator going on day 1 Big Cry James @ Guava was very complementary of the car in terms of condition, driving etc so looks like I've bagged a good 'un. Will concentrate on enjoying it now rather than the faults Thumbs Up 2010 TDV8...

Post #373898 Mon Feb 18 2013 7:30pm
Paddi

Cheers for the feedback. Interesting... my battery doesn't seem that bad so think I will live with it for now and fit a new battery after the summer maybe.
Great to hear your new baby is all sorted. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #373960 Tue Feb 19 2013 1:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>