RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Rear screen dash cam.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

C C

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Ipanema Sand
Rear screen dash cam.

Hello. I'm new here so apologies if this has already been covered.

Having hard wired a dash cam to the windscreen via the fuse box. I am considering installing another one on the rear screen.
Has anyone done this. If any tips and info would be most welcome.

Post #483180 Wed Dec 23 2015 2:20pm
the_big_1

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Hi,

I have the dual camera type and it fits well.
Only thin I can think of is watch how you run the cable as its a long way and a couple of ways left the cable to short.

Post #483181 Wed Dec 23 2015 2:47pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

As above have the twin camera set up, biggest problem was routing the cable to rear camera with the split tailgate but I think yours will be a one piece so will be a lot easier to route .. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #483183 Wed Dec 23 2015 2:55pm
duvl

United Kingdom 

Copied below from my posting here - http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic41688-45.html

"2. Assuming you have front and rear cameras, along with parking mode, at the front you will only see about 4" of cable....from the unit to the roof lining. Hardly noticeable. The rear camera, does not wire in as well. To allow for opening/closing of the tailgate you need about a foot of cable which means when the tailgate is closed and you look in your rear view mirror you will see some looped cable. Little unsightly but you soon get used to it. It would however draw attention to the camera from any vehicle behind you. That also goes for the front camera as it's not tucked away that well.

3. If the rear view camera is fitted to the rear tailgate window top dead centre, note that the rear window wiper won't wipe the relevant area in front of the lens....really annoying!!! A way round this would be to fit the rear camera about 3 inches to either side of centre. Catches the wipe but looks somewhat odd and the rear footage will be of centre. With hindsight I wish I hadn't bothered with purchasing a rear view camera but as I had I went ahead and had it installed anyway."

I've only had my dashcam for 6 days but given what I now know I would not have installed the rear camera. Off course, when it "saves" the day I'll change my mind. Tough choice so good luck. RRS 4.4AB 15.5MY Fuji/Ivory
Thinkware F750 front/rear dashcam

Post #483228 Wed Dec 23 2015 9:56pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

This is all the cable you see of my Rear Cam.

Ran the cable under the headlining, then through the rubber conduit for the tailgate wiring shown in bottom right off picture. Have to add it is a one piece tailgate which makes it easier.
Did do similar on a split tailgate and you really don't see much more cable and only then when the glass part is open, certainly couldn't see it in rear view mirror.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Col

Post #483260 Thu Dec 24 2015 10:23am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I did mine on a split similar to Col, you can only see a teeny bit of cable. I threaded mine across the roof lining and down the A-Pillar to the back of the glove box, where I have my control unit. It was really simple to do.

Post #484296 Fri Jan 08 2016 5:58pm
tarkuk

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

hi all

how did you get the cable under the trim through into the conduit. I just can not see how to remove the trim so I cam get a rear cam installed

Thanks

Post #491320 Sat Mar 19 2016 11:50pm
Col

Hi,

The trim is only held on with plastic clips, much like the boot panel trims etc. Just give it a gentle pull and they will pop out.

I do have a trim removal tool which does make it easier to start with. You could do similar with a fork out of the kitchen cutlery provided your wife doesn't catch you first. Rolling with laughter Just wrap a bit of tape around it first to protect the paintwork, don't worry about the fork it will straighten O.K. Very Happy

I did lubricate the cable with a bit of silicone spray first before pushing it through conduit as makes it a little easier

Cheers
Col

Post #491332 Sun Mar 20 2016 10:07am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

On the 2008, it's a split tailgate which adds to the challenge as you need to feed it through two separate tightly packed rubber grommet/conduits. Made the more difficult as the power connector is 90degree angle. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #491333 Sun Mar 20 2016 10:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Col

When I did my previous Sport with the split tailgate I just pushed a bit of single core cable through first and taped it to the blackvue coax cable so you could pull and push at same time, with a bit of silicone spray as well it wasn't to bad to get through.

Cheers
Col

Post #491336 Sun Mar 20 2016 10:29am
tarkuk

so even with the split tail gate the trim is simple to pull of ? I had a little tug over the weekend just would not budge and don't want breaking the trim as the part prob cost an arm and a leg

Regards

Post #491433 Mon Mar 21 2016 10:45am
BKHK

Australia 

I am a bit worried that the lack of sunshine is affecting some of you in the UK.

Why do you want to film behind your car? What if people following don't want to be filmed? Why for that matter do you want to film in front of your car? How many accidents do you plan on having?

Then Tarkuk admits to "having a little tug at the weekend" . Shocked Shocked .....too much information my friend.

I hope you get some vitamin D soon. Laughing

Post #491447 Mon Mar 21 2016 12:36pm
tarkuk

everyone needs a tug one in a while Laughing

I am planning in have no accidents however their are some really bad drivers out their who are an accident waiting to happen so having an in car dash cam will in the case of an insurance claim will provide evidence of who is to blame.

Post #491450 Mon Mar 21 2016 12:43pm
Col

tarkuk wrote:
so even with the split tail gate the trim is simple to pull of ? I had a little tug over the weekend just would not budge and don't want breaking the trim as the part prob cost an arm and a leg

Regards

You need to pull harder if it breaks it's only £15.00 for a new bit.

Cheers
Col

Post #491461 Mon Mar 21 2016 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1