RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Turbo replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

kav1187

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Post has been added to definitive 'how to' thread.

Great work mate. I imagine it's the same with any turbo, but when i swapped my one on the vw golf, I had to inject oil into the oil feed pipe with a syringe. It came with the turbo but if yours doesn't then might be worth double checking. Haven't got my haynes manual handy to check for ya Sad

Keep up the good work!

Post #365585 Thu Dec 06 2012 1:35am
Boost

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

I lied about the price..........£844.80 - got charged vat on the carriage Exclamation I hate them Censored at 11 Downing Street!

But on the other hand I got one of these today

Click image to enlarge

Opened it and found this inside - just what I need Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

First thing the LR bulleten says is to drill the turbo so Nuts & bolts can be fitted instead of the original studs Shocked I can see why, if the studs were fitted it would be impossible to tighten the nuts.

Click image to enlarge

Then to put the new studs in, 3 x M10 in the exhaust outlet & 1 x M8 in the inlet (lower) thought I'd add some thread lock too for good measure

Click image to enlarge

Found some M8 x 40 Stainless Steel bolts to use in the top mounting holes (I aquired when I worked for a food manufacturing company Whistle )

Click image to enlarge

Copper greased them up and slid them into the top holes

Click image to enlarge

The view from underneath

Click image to enlarge

I run one of the new M8 lockunts supplied with turbo onto the lower stud then lifted it into somewhere near, I kept the plastic caps on so no crap fell into the 'air' side vanes.

Click image to enlarge

Removed the plastic caps and smeared the smallest amount of grease over the 'lips'of the castings so the hoses would slide on - seemed to work well, a little jiggling, the hoses were on, the turbo lined up and bolts slid in.

Click image to enlarge

Then came the first problem, I put the remaining 2 locknuts on but is no room to get a socket on to tighten them up Surprised
I'll pop to bolt suppliers tomorrow to try and buy some reduced sized nuts, same thread size but will accept a M10 or M11 socket size. I wonder if that is what comes with the landrover ones?

Anyway I left the turbo loose and carried on with the oil return pipe. I was not looking forward to this as it was fiddly to remove.

Click image to enlarge

But without the mounting bracket in the way it was dead easy, I stuck the new gasket to the face of the oil return pipe flange with a dap of grease Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

That's as far as I got tonight..........

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #365664 Thu Dec 06 2012 10:04pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

When re-fitting the turbo, I use an M8x40 bolt, with a flanged head (10mm, from the front cambelt cover of a 300TDi Laughing ) going the opposite way you have yours fitted, and a pair of flange nuts on the inside.

Whatever works for you though Thumbs Up

Post #365671 Thu Dec 06 2012 10:22pm
Boost

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

The only M8 flange nuts they had were still 13mm socket size, so decided to use M8 x 40mm St/St Cap heads. Put these in with M8 flange nuts on the back and nipped the turbo onto the manifold.

Click image to enlarge

Next while I could still get to it was the electrical connector for the actuator

Click image to enlarge

Then the small air intake hose was put back on and clip fastened - this proved to be tricky to clip together!

Click image to enlarge

Next was the lower bracket, this has 5 bolts in it, 2 into the engine/gearbox and 3 into the turbo, you can only see 1 here, the inner one was very awkward to get in with my sausage fingers! I had to send the eldest son in to get it in!

Click image to enlarge

Next the bung was removed from the oil supply pipe fitting and 5ml of oil (supplied with the turbo) was injected into the open fitting.

Click image to enlarge

Supplied syringe

Click image to enlarge

Then the oil supply Banjo bolt was fitted

Click image to enlarge

That was end of the day so I dropped the oil, to let it drain overnight. I think most of it was out by the morning

Click image to enlarge

Next the height sensor was refitted

Click image to enlarge

Then the top wishbone followed by heat shield that covers the front wishbone bolt

Click image to enlarge

The top ball joint was reconnected to the front upright

Click image to enlarge

And the Antiroll bar reconnected

Click image to enlarge

Rest of the turbo heat shields fitted

Click image to enlarge

Then onto the exhaust, I cleaned up the exhaust flange

Click image to enlarge

And fitted the supplied gasket to the turbo

Click image to enlarge

Fitted the exhaust, then came along a problem - the new studs in the turbo were too long, when I tightened the top one the nut wound itself out the socket before it was tight, couldn't get the socket on any more due to the stud. So had to remove the exhaust, studs and cut them down.

Click image to enlarge

Now I could get the socket on to nip them all up

Click image to enlarge

Now with it all fitted I wanted to make sure there were no leaks, but before I could start it I finished off the oil change

Click image to enlarge

Started it and the instructions said I had to leave it running for 30s with no load. No leaks either Thumbs Up

So on with refitting the rest of it, front prop shaft first

Click image to enlarge

The transmission front cross member followed by the transmission cross member and then the engine & transmission guards.

Click image to enlarge

Then out for a test Very Happy Let it warm up for the first 3/4 miles, then steadily up to 70, no effort needed!!! Very Happy
Then decided to bury the right foot into the floor Cool for the next few minutes, off it went with no faults Very Happy Very Happy none on acceleration or overrun Very Happy Very Happy Completed the rest of the journey all clear....

I think that has fixed it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy And I think I've saved myself a few quid too........

I'll give it a clean tomorrow if the weather is OK Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #365914 Sat Dec 08 2012 9:13pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Congratulations Boost Thumbs Up a well executed project and a great step by step guide for those brave enough to take it on, well done. Confused

Post #365930 Sun Dec 09 2012 12:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Good effort, and excellent write up Thumbs Up

Post #365962 Sun Dec 09 2012 9:19am
gruodiz

Lithuania 

Excellent writteup and full of detailed photos Bow down

Btw did you know that when the height sensor is reatached it requeres height recalibration. Sensor bolt holes has some free play and 1mm there might become 5mm at sensor legs end. Just in case ... you can always remeassure each corner when car is on level.

Post #380765 Wed Apr 17 2013 9:29pm
GREENI

Great write up... Needs to be made a 'sticky'. Cough MARTIN cough Whistle Multi thousand poster on Defender2.net

Post #380770 Wed Apr 17 2013 10:28pm
gazzc

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

great write up im halfway through doing mine now so will be handy to have this to check im doing it right Thumbs Up silverRRS 2.7 TDV6 22"WHEELS FULL COLOUR CODE,STEPS,REMAP..gone
Rimini red rrs 2.7 tdv6 steps. Full c code. Recon engine!!loved but!gone ,thank god !!
Gone rr sport supercharged. Loved but 11mpg !!!
current,triumph stag mk2...current bmw 325 sport convertible

Post #423871 Sat May 10 2014 6:30pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Superb write up with photos.
My hat comes off to you. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #423888 Sat May 10 2014 10:28pm
designboy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

Blown away with the work involved, I'd be happy paying for it now that I see the graft in it!
Well done man. 

Post #424085 Mon May 12 2014 9:07pm
Pxcars

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thought I was I right smart arse I managed to undo top turbo bolts only.to find out it will not come off with studs in place!!!!! Censored Sad

Post #516778 Sat Feb 04 2017 7:40pm
DerrekL

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: Pictures of the turbo removal

Boost wrote:
Pictures of the turbo removal, this is the first time I've done this so did it at my pace and maybe took more off than I need to.........

First the car was put in the garage

Click image to enlarge

Then the LHS front wheel removed and front end put on axle stands. First thing to remove is the transmission cross menber

Click image to enlarge

This has a little pump/filter bolted to it so that was removed after the heat shield

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then the front transmission cross member

Click image to enlarge

Next thing to remove was the front propshaft, looks like the front UJ is leaking!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now we can see where the exhaust bolts to the turbo

Click image to enlarge

Then I removed the first heat shied hiding the turbo in the inner wing area

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next was to undo the exhaust from the turbo, these were FT! one nut came off and on the other two the studs came out!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next were some more heat shields

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then one of the support brackets

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then the lower turbo mounting nut was loosened, I could not shift this to start with and thought I was going to round it off so it was heated with a blowlamp them it came off! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next thing to come off was the front suspension upper arm, this required a few more heat shields to be removed aswell, now I could see the turbo!!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next thing to be loosened was the oil feed pipe, I left this on until last thing to stop any Censored getting in

Click image to enlarge

Then the oil return pipe

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next the other mounting bracket was supposed to be removed but be forked if I could shift them bolts, thought I save them til later and it was loose (hopefully). That is as far as I got yesterday. I was wondering if the exhaust system needed fully removing so I asked, Disco_Mikey confirmed this - Thanks

So first job today was exhaust removal

Click image to enlarge

Next was to unplug the unit, I could not get my delicate hands into reach so removed the small air pipe to gain access

Click image to enlarge

Then came the bit I was not lookin forward too - Drilling the upper turbo mounting studs out. I decided to start with a 6mm drill, I remembered I had extended a holesaw a while back for a job and the pilot bit in them was 6mm - borrowed!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bit needed sharpening several times during this

Click image to enlarge

I decided to make another to hold the 8mm bit required, I drilled the centre out to 8mm on the lathe (dead handy bit of kit) then welded a bit of 8mm round bar to it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The studs were drilled to about 15mm, then I used a punch to pop the first stud out through the exhaust manifolds, you can see the top left stud popped out here

Click image to enlarge

I tried to pop the top left one out but the turbo then fell off!!

Click image to enlarge

So I removed the air pipes and tried to wiggle it out

Click image to enlarge

But it would not come out due the the bracket I failed to removed earlier, but now I can get to the bollts

Click image to enlarge

One turbo out! Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

A couple of pics showing the actuator on the bench

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just need to buy a new one and fit it!!!

what is it with the photobucket account required to view your pictures on this post. I have created an account on this site and a photobucket account but still cannot view them? :shock:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  RRS 2.7 HSE Stornoway Grey
P38 4.6 HSE V8

Post #532977 Wed Aug 16 2017 1:11pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

photobucket have changed their Ts & Cs so that, if you want to post your pics on 3rd party sites, you have to subscribe and I understand it's a lot of money (US$399). Hence a lot of people are leaving Photobucket, and a lot of old posts have lost their pics. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #532978 Wed Aug 16 2017 1:17pm
DerrekL

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the update Bill. That would explain why I can view some of the posts pictures and other posts are not visible. This would mean originators of posts (without pics) would have to upload again onto this site. What a rigmarole Thumbs Up RRS 2.7 HSE Stornoway Grey
P38 4.6 HSE V8

Post #532980 Wed Aug 16 2017 1:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>