RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Turbo replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Boost

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver
Turbo replacement

Took car to an independent LR dealer today for a second opinion on the P132B fault after 1/2 hour of them thrashing it about with the auto logic machine plugged in they came up with the dreaded news - the turbo is stuffed Big Cry

After a few telephone calls and silly prices I decided I would do it myself Very Happy I've taken some pics and will post them later got to the stage where the drill is required but I've had enough tonight and thought some beer would help Smile

One quick question, when its all free does it come out from underneath (so exhaust will need removing fully) or out through the inner wing?

Cheers .......Boost

Last edited by Boost on Sat Dec 01 2012 10:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #365036 Sat Dec 01 2012 12:07am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Comes out from underneath. Exhaust needs to be removed Thumbs Up

Post #365052 Sat Dec 01 2012 10:04am
Boost

Pictures of the turbo removal

Pictures of the turbo removal, this is the first time I've done this so did it at my pace and maybe took more off than I need to.........

First the car was put in the garage

Click image to enlarge

Then the LHS front wheel removed and front end put on axle stands. First thing to remove is the transmission cross menber

Click image to enlarge

This has a little pump/filter bolted to it so that was removed after the heat shield

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then the front transmission cross member

Click image to enlarge

Next thing to remove was the front propshaft, looks like the front UJ is leaking!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now we can see where the exhaust bolts to the turbo

Click image to enlarge

Then I removed the first heat shied hiding the turbo in the inner wing area

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next was to undo the exhaust from the turbo, these were FT! one nut came off and on the other two the studs came out!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next were some more heat shields

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then one of the support brackets

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then the lower turbo mounting nut was loosened, I could not shift this to start with and thought I was going to round it off so it was heated with a blowlamp them it came off! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next thing to come off was the front suspension upper arm, this required a few more heat shields to be removed aswell, now I could see the turbo!!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next thing to be loosened was the oil feed pipe, I left this on until last thing to stop any Censored getting in

Click image to enlarge

Then the oil return pipe

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next the other mounting bracket was supposed to be removed but be forked if I could shift them bolts, thought I save them til later and it was loose (hopefully). That is as far as I got yesterday. I was wondering if the exhaust system needed fully removing so I asked, Disco_Mikey confirmed this - Thanks

So first job today was exhaust removal

Click image to enlarge

Next was to unplug the unit, I could not get my delicate hands into reach so removed the small air pipe to gain access

Click image to enlarge

Then came the bit I was not lookin forward too - Drilling the upper turbo mounting studs out. I decided to start with a 6mm drill, I remembered I had extended a holesaw a while back for a job and the pilot bit in them was 6mm - borrowed!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bit needed sharpening several times during this

Click image to enlarge

I decided to make another to hold the 8mm bit required, I drilled the centre out to 8mm on the lathe (dead handy bit of kit) then welded a bit of 8mm round bar to it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The studs were drilled to about 15mm, then I used a punch to pop the first stud out through the exhaust manifolds, you can see the top left stud popped out here

Click image to enlarge

I tried to pop the top left one out but the turbo then fell off!!

Click image to enlarge

So I removed the air pipes and tried to wiggle it out

Click image to enlarge

But it would not come out due the the bracket I failed to removed earlier, but now I can get to the bollts

Click image to enlarge

One turbo out! Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

A couple of pics showing the actuator on the bench

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just need to buy a new one and fit it!!!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Boost on Sat Dec 01 2012 10:03pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #365088 Sat Dec 01 2012 8:43pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Excellent write up there Boost, not something i would ever try doing, my days of repairing my motor to this extent are long gone, but full credit to you. Good luck on the rebuild. Thumbs Up

Post #365099 Sat Dec 01 2012 9:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bob.

United Kingdom 

+1 Thumbs Up

When finished need to add this to the "Definitive List of How tos"

Post #365109 Sat Dec 01 2012 9:53pm
Tim Hoang

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

V. good write up with pictures Boost. My vehicle has just developed P0046 fault code which is 'Turbo/Super Charge Boost Control Solenoid A Circuit' according to my Hawkeye.
Is it the turbo need replacing ? OR something else?
many thanks. 2005 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black
2005 997 C2

Post #365154 Sun Dec 02 2012 11:43am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

A brave man indeed - great write up too. Hope all goes back ok Thumbs Up FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #365163 Sun Dec 02 2012 1:01pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I wouldn't dare attempt what you've done Bow down 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #365166 Sun Dec 02 2012 1:47pm
Boost

Tim Hoang wrote:
V. good write up with pictures Boost. My vehicle has just developed P0046 fault code which is 'Turbo/Super Charge Boost Control Solenoid A Circuit' according to my Hawkeye.
Is it the turbo need replacing ? OR something else?
many thanks.

That's a different code to what I got, mine was P132B, but the description sounds exactly the same, I had mine checked by 2 different dealers before I took the plunge - I'm sure someone on here may be able to tell you or offer some adive.

Post #365316 Mon Dec 03 2012 9:04pm
Boost

A lot of turbo suppliers insist on changing the oil supply pipe - why? No mention of this in the LR procedure for changiing?

And if it has to done where's the other end of it and is it possible?

Another one whilst on the oil pipe subject. I want to make sure that oil is being delivered before I fit the new turbo. I am going to crank the engine over as is with the turbo removed, but don't want it to start! Is there anything I can remove to stop it starting, sort of like the fuel solenoid on older traditional diesels?

Post #365319 Mon Dec 03 2012 9:18pm
Disco_Mikey

Cam sensor, or a fuel rail pressure sensor Thumbs Up

Post #365342 Tue Dec 04 2012 7:54am
Boost

Thanks Mikey, I was planning on trying that tonight..........

Thought I'd remove the other stud that was left in, one tap with a punch and out Very Happy , then clean up the exhaust manifold face - Is there a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo? There doesn't seem to be one - Face to face joint?

Anyway cleaned it up with some industrial type pads (apparently they are used for cleaning turbines in power stations Wink ) Some fibres entered the manifold, not wanting them to enter new turbo when fitted decided not to use airline to blow them out, instead I came up with a cracking idea - I decided a short burst of it running would blow them out Very Happy
It did!!!!!!! Also tested the oil supply Embarassed Shot about 6ft across garage floor and covered everything in sight Laughing Your not having a picture of that Rolling with laughter Spent next 1/2 hour cleaning, safe in the knowledge the oil supply to the turbo is OK Thumbs Up

Ordered new turbo today, wallet's a bit lighter Big Cry here on Thursday Very Happy

Post #365480 Tue Dec 04 2012 10:37pm
Disco_Mikey

Boost wrote:
Is there a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo? There doesn't seem to be one - Face to face joint?

Nope, there is no gasket between the manifold and turbo. Great design Rolling Eyes

May be worth mentioning that there might be an Engine Management software update, which sweeps the actuator through its full length of movement every time you start the car, to help prevent any future seizures Thumbs Up

Post #365486 Tue Dec 04 2012 11:15pm
Tim Hoang

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Boost wrote:
Thanks Mikey, I was planning on trying that tonight..........

Thought I'd remove the other stud that was left in, one tap with a punch and out Very Happy , then clean up the exhaust manifold face - Is there a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo? There doesn't seem to be one - Face to face joint?

Anyway cleaned it up with some industrial type pads (apparently they are used for cleaning turbines in power stations Wink ) Some fibres entered the manifold, not wanting them to enter new turbo when fitted decided not to use airline to blow them out, instead I came up with a cracking idea - I decided a short burst of it running would blow them out Very Happy
It did!!!!!!! Also tested the oil supply Embarassed Shot about 6ft across garage floor and covered everything in sight Laughing Your not having a picture of that Rolling with laughter Spent next 1/2 hour cleaning, safe in the knowledge the oil supply to the turbo is OK Thumbs Up

Ordered new turbo today, wallet's a bit lighter Big Cry here on Thursday Very Happy

Hi Boost,
where did you get the turbo charge from and how much? I'm thinking of doing mine. Keep us up to date. Thanks 2005 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black
2005 997 C2

Post #365549 Wed Dec 05 2012 4:45pm
Boost

I googled for them and fired about 6 E-mails off to different companies. various responses from repairing mine (seals & bearings - £195), reconditioned one (£395) then various prices for a full new unit, up to £1400+vat!!!

Having gone this far I wanted a full new unit with the actuator, no good having mine repaired or a reconditioned one if its the actuator that is the fault.

After speaking to a couple of the 'new' unit suppliers, AET Turbo's were very open about the success of repaired ones for our our cars so now only supply brand new units, I double checked it was the right one by giving the part numbers from mine............£695+vat+£9 carriage = £843 Whistle with a 1yr warranty.

Here tomorrow Very Happy

Post #365573 Wed Dec 05 2012 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>