RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Replica wheels are dangerous...... FACT!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>

Jonny Fresh

England 

Ballsy wrote:
It's maybe true that some wheels shouldn't be used on a car if there load rating is too low, but thats upto the individual to choose whether they want to take that chance.

It should not be up to them if they want to "chance it" when their wheel fails and they career into another car.....

Post #344896 Mon May 28 2012 9:33am
Beancounter_74

England 

Yawn
Ballsy, I think you know what we are trying to say. There may be a few cases where aftermarket firms will reproduce a similar design, but in the main, cheap replica's are just that Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #344899 Mon May 28 2012 9:37am
Ballsy

Again there's no evidence to suggest that the cheaper wheels are off a lesser quality, there have been lots of genuine aftermarket wheels which have failed in the same ways as the replicas.

I just think this thread is misleading.

Post #344903 Mon May 28 2012 9:59am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

^ The reason I have not posted on this thread up to now as it reads like a medieval witch hunt.

Fair enough warn people of weak alloys that are advertised as suitable for Range Rovers but are in fact not weighted as such.

But to label all non OEM/Top custom alloy makers as dangerous is just plain miss leading.

I had some OF replica's that failed on me... and yes they were under rated for the car.. and yes I'd have loved to be informed they were no good before having them fitted..but my current ones are also a "replica" OEM design but are correctly load rated and as far as I'm concerned no more dangerous than any other 22" rim on the market... RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #344904 Mon May 28 2012 10:08am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

awd man wrote:
but my current ones are also a "replica" OEM design but are correctly load rated and as far as I'm concerned no more dangerous than any other 22" rim on the market...

This is the key thing for me. I'm not bothered by the whole replica/aftermarket issue per se but I am concerned that wheels might be sold that are unsuitable because they're not correctly load rated. If you would rather buy a 1000kg rated replica rather than a more expensive 1000kg rated aftermarket then fine. But don't buy an 800kg version of either and then moan that they're bent etc. the first time you drive on an uneven surface. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #344928 Mon May 28 2012 12:04pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

If someone is going to stamp a wheel "overfinch" illegally do you honestly think they won't stamp it 1050kg rated as well with no idea what weight it can hold?

Post #344934 Mon May 28 2012 12:33pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If they are TUV approved then thats fine for me but if not, then i would seriously think twice about buying a replica wheel. But if i were to consider an aftermarket wheel then i would check to see if it is upto the weight loading of my vehicle and the correct offset. I'm sure there are good strong wheels out there, its just that we only get to hear about the bad ones, which i guess a good thing. I personally only ever buy genuine or branded items.

Post #344936 Mon May 28 2012 12:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hoooold the BUS! Toys back in prams please gentlemen.

Did martin say After Market ?? Or did he say Replica ??
Of course he not doubting after market wheels.... IE non OEM wheels he works for a company who make the blo00dy things Laughing

Replica is a polite was of saying fake IMO and replica wheels are know for being produced "cheaply" with inferior products and to a lesser standard that the original makers. A Taiwanese bloke making a Kahn look or overfinch style wheel I would give a wide berth as there is no control around the manufacturing or sale of these items. A UK company like overfinch however are required to abide by laws and its the directors are ultimately responsible and could face serious charges should they be found liable for any failings.

I think the difficulty is not being able to differentiate between the good replica makers and the poorer ones, as none of them mark the wheels with branding nor register companies in the countries where they sell their products, id suggest they do that for a reason....

Keep this in context here weer talking about 30, 40, 50, 60K cars here

Last edited by x5pea on Mon May 28 2012 1:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #344944 Mon May 28 2012 1:28pm
x5pea

Ballsy wrote:
Infact if you name the company on here I'm sure they could prosecute you for libel.

Would like to see the response from team dynamics etc when you tell them their wheels are crap.

Team Dynamics wheels are crap.....

FYI I am avilable Mon Tue and Wed mornings for court apperances and every second fri afternoon.

Post #344945 Mon May 28 2012 1:32pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Bow down

Post #344948 Mon May 28 2012 1:40pm
rstebbings

United Kingdom 

x5pea wrote:
Ballsy wrote:
Infact if you name the company on here I'm sure they could prosecute you for libel.

Would like to see the response from team dynamics etc when you tell them their wheels are crap.

Team Dynamics wheels are crap.....

FYI I am avilable Mon Tue and Wed mornings for court apperances and every second fri afternoon.

Rolling with laughter

Never had a problem with the set of supersport reps I have, they were on my old car for 4 years covering 60 k and a collision with the front of the RRS and an armco. Never cracked, twistered or flaked. Btw there are fs Thumbs Up

Post #344949 Mon May 28 2012 1:44pm
x5pea

rstebbings wrote:

Never had a problem with the set of supersport reps I have, they were on my old car for 4 years covering 60 k and a collision with the front of the RRS and an armco. Never cracked, twistered or flaked. Btw there are fs Thumbs Up

Of course there are decent companies out there but a buyer doesn't know how to differentiate from the good the bad and the ugly and therein lie the rub

Post #344952 Mon May 28 2012 1:54pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

It would be intresting to hear the outcome of some of these cases that overfinch take to court that make replicas of their alloy wheels (jordan) What happends? Do they actually get as far as the factory where they make these wheels? If so do they confiscate their equipment?

Post #344955 Mon May 28 2012 2:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Jonny Fresh wrote:
If someone is going to stamp a wheel "overfinch" illegally do you honestly think they won't stamp it 1050kg rated as well with no idea what weight it can hold?

Replica's do not have "overfinch" (or any other brand) stamped on them Jonny they just copy the design. RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #344956 Mon May 28 2012 2:07pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

awd man wrote:
Jonny Fresh wrote:

Replica's do not have "overfinch" (or any other brand) stamped on them Jonny they just copy the design.

They do! Someone tried to sell me Some.........Overfinch on the front but not on the back, and they just didnt look right.

Post #344957 Mon May 28 2012 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>