RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Replica wheels are dangerous...... FACT!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 13 <123 ... 910 111213>

shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

nobody has mentioned the tyre pressures ?
once again i found myself buying two new 2895/35/22 Hankook, and once again the same tyre fitting shop insisted on putting 45 psi in them, despite me telling them, 38psi for the rear is what Overfinch recommend.
The drive to Tescos to drop the pressures was a boneshaker, so maybe the high tyre pressures some know it all tyre shop put in are causeing the cracking of the wheel, as there is no longer any give in the tyres sidewall Question 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #345401 Thu May 31 2012 1:27am
firstinretail

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Siberian Silver

still rhink rhe whole argument is silly, all alloys have the ability to break given any one of a million driving conditions, fact is COPIES, lets stop calling them replicas, we are talking about stolen designs that have been COPIED.

regardless of quality who wants to be using COPiES of anything.

if i bought a set of COPIED wheels from blog and blog tyres and 12 month later they cracked, i would sugesst that i would not be getting a great deal of service, as you bought cheap so what do you expect is a great argument. however if that was a khan wheel, i would suspect better service, if only because you have more power to "shame" and damage a true brands reputation.

so stop beating each other up, buy originals and have the back up and support of the original manufacturer. or take the chance save some money and live life knowing that you are helping the world of fraudlent design scumbags. Thumbs Up

Post #345406 Thu May 31 2012 7:14am
Ballsy

The bit I disagree with is the heading to the topic, It's just plain wrong....... Fact!!
When I first opened it I was expecting facts and figures to back up the guys statement, there just isn't any.
Just because a company is big/well known doesn't mean the service is going to be good.

As for not using copies...... Do you not wear clothes? Own a mobile? Drive a car?
All clothes come down from designers at cat walks, they say clothes are seasonal so if you go into one shop and see a range of clothes say with horizontal stripes then you can guarantee that the next shop you go in will have a very similar range/style. They won't be exactly the same the same as replica wheels won't be identical to the original, granted the original will probably be of a much higher quality and thus being similar but not exact. I know there's copyright laws etc but that's for lawyers to decide.
Same thing with mobile, one manufacturer comes out with a new idea like a phone that makes you tea and toast for breakfast, you can be sure that the other manufacturers will churn out a phone with similar features but not exactly the same. Not sure how the copyright works with that Confused

Yes It's wrong that one company spends a lot of cash designing and making new products and another company just comes along and copies it, I hope the original manufacturer does sue them and get them taken off the market but from the evidence in this thread there is no reason to say that one wheel is less dangerous than the other or of any better or worse quality.

Post #345415 Thu May 31 2012 9:23am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I think you may of hit the nail on the head there ballsy, i'm sure it has a lot to do with the low profile of the tyres, there isn't enough wall on the 22" tyres to absorb the inpact of a lot of our pot holes we have on our roads these days. Hit a big pot hole in a 2.5 ton sport with 22" wheels on and something will give, in this case 22" wheel, no matter who made them, but i'm guessing a TUV approved wheel will have more chance of surviving than one from cadburys.

Post #345419 Thu May 31 2012 9:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Ballsy, i'm glad i'm not in business with you. Do you know of a copied item that is better than the original genuine item? I certainly don't. So to me that is a fact. I'm sure i'm going to regret making that comment with his next reply. Laughing

Post #345420 Thu May 31 2012 9:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Ady 555 wrote:
Ballsy, i'm glad i'm not in business with you. Do you know of a copied item that is better than the original genuine item? I certainly don't. So to me that is a fact. I'm sure i'm going to regret making that comment with his next reply. Laughing

hence why im refraining from commenting any further Rolling Eyes

Post #345423 Thu May 31 2012 10:10am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Not wanting to rock the boat...

But my TAG is the worst time keeping watch I've ever owned (and I've owned copy Tags) Rolling with laughter RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #345427 Thu May 31 2012 10:42am
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

awd man wrote:
Not wanting to rock the boat...

But my TAG is the worst time keeping watch I've ever owned (and I've owned copy Tags) Rolling with laughter

on a similar note id say the same about my submariner, roe lx's excuse was its a sorts watch its not designed to be worn every day Rolling Eyes

Post #345429 Thu May 31 2012 11:12am
Beancounter_74

England 

^^^ Agree, lovely to look at, rubbish at their primary objective Laughing ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #345430 Thu May 31 2012 11:25am
Ballsy

Ady 555 wrote:

To be fair I did say " granted the original will probably be of a much higher quality"
I can't think of anything that's a copy that's better than the original off hand Embarassed altho other people have thought of some above Very Happy

I'm not saying that originals are not the best option, I just think It's wrong and misleading to say that replica wheels are dangerous when there is no proof to support it. All I've asked for is some evidence, is that so bad?
I personally think that the tyres and terrain play the biggest part in cracked/buckled alloys, somebody who cruises along motorways is bound to have less cracks and strains than somebody doing serious off roading(or just driving round the town if you've seen the state of the pot holes nowadays).
If somebody from Tag came on and said all copies of there watches were crap and didn't tell the time but didn't have any proof and then Awd man posts up saying his copy keeps better time than the original then to me that's a good indication that awd man's copy isn't all that crappy and does tell the time.

@ x5pea, It's a discussion, join in, It's fun Very Happy

If I'm honest I just like playing devils advocate

Post #345435 Thu May 31 2012 12:24pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

so you spend all that money and they don't keep the time, i might have to keep my Seiko a little longer and put my watch slush fund to something more suitible

Post #345437 Thu May 31 2012 12:40pm
Beancounter_74

England 

^^^ Yup Nick, my Datejust Rolex, is lousy (loses around 2-3 mins a week), even after Rolex's 'finest' service Laughing ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )

Post #345440 Thu May 31 2012 1:04pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

^^^^Glad ive not wasted any of my hard earned money on a watch then, i'd be wanting my money back Shocked To be honest ive never been into expensive watches, i can think of better things to spend my money on. Wink I know some people buy them for an investment but there was a guy on here not too long ago selling a watch and it depreciated quicker than my new sport Shocked And then other people buy them for errrr fashion. Each to their own, Has anyone notice that the guy that fueled this fire hasn't re-posted or commented on his FACT yet? Come on Martin, we are waiting Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #345445 Thu May 31 2012 2:06pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Always been 'into' watches Ady, something I got from my father. Thumbs Up
I think the cronic problem with a lot of expensive watches in the 'automatic' movement that relies on constant movement to keep it 'fully charged' so to speak.
Most decent watches will maintain their value, but obviously peoples interpretation of 'decent' can be wildly different. Things like TAGs, as nice as they are, unless special editions (Monaco's etc) will always lose a fair amount as they are available in such bulk. Something like a Patek will certainly hold its value, if not increase......maybe one day Wink

Anyway, come on Martin, get back here and address some of the comments Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

Post #345446 Thu May 31 2012 2:13pm
Grahamsjz

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Beancounter_74 wrote:
^^^ Yup Nick, my Datejust Rolex, is lousy (loses around 2-3 mins a week), even after Rolex's 'finest' service Laughing

Warning - Diversion
My GMT Master II used to gallop off into the distance until I had to send it in for a repair (winder would no longer screw in) and after that and a service, it keeps remarkably good time - the most accurate mechanical watch I have. It has trickled up in value over the years, not why I bought it but nice all the same. I hope my IWC Spitfire Chrono does the same, could not make my mind up on it and then saw this years model and rushed out to buy last years model before they were all sold.

Sorry for the diversion - anyone know of 20' wheels collapsing? The potholes in Surrey knackered 20' rims on my Jag which did not collapse but the split rim 'warped" Censored Graham

09 TDV8 Zermat Silver

Post #345496 Fri Jun 01 2012 9:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 13 <123 ... 910 111213>