RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering vibrations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

Not sure I'm following some of the replys? The technician at the dealership indicated they use a stationary balancer (off car) that puts the weights on the outside of the wheel (hammer on type) The TSB (technical service bulletin) advises no tape stick on weights on the inner side as they may rub against the brake lines.

What I found curious was their ablility to do what a quality tire shop was unable to do, get rid of the vibration. In addition, I'm surprised that no one else has had this problem, the tech told me they have had to perform this procedure on a number of RRS's Question

Post #29174 Wed May 03 2006 4:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

In response to the question of this topic - steering/vibrations & sensation of slight knock through the steering column = I have been experiencing the very same thing & as we speak my RRS is at the dealer being fixed. I have had to wait for some new parts that LR have finally developed/produced as they were aware of this problem & have been busy trying to sort ASAP. I only got the call last week that LR had finally released the parts to solve this common problem. I will report back later when I know more Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #29366 Wed May 03 2006 2:58pm
Roland

Switzerland 

MDP wrote:
I only got the call last week that LR had finally released the parts to solve this common problem. I will report back later when I know more Very Happy

.. am looking forward to hearing from you. Have the same slight knock at low speed through the steering column. SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #29411 Wed May 03 2006 3:44pm
BBlackRRS

MDP, please do keep us updated on this new "fix". I have already had my steering rack replaced, which helped a bunch. But whenever I floor the gas, the steering wheel still shakes. I also get knocking and some louder suspension creaks when I am going very slow. Interested to hear what they now have to hopefully solve this issue.

[quote="MDP"]In response to the question of this topic - steering/vibrations & sensation of slight knock through the steering column = I have been experiencing the very same thing & as we speak my RRS is at the dealer being fixed. I have had to wait for some new parts that LR have finally developed/produced as they were aware of this problem & have been busy trying to sort ASAP. I only got the call last week that LR had finally released the parts to solve this common problem. I will report back later when I know more Very Happy[/quote]

Post #29555 Wed May 03 2006 10:37pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Following taken from a post on Disco3.co.uk and is exactly what I am experiencing on my vehicle.

Steering "knock"

Received this today from my dealer, he has ordered the part.

Models: LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title: FAQ 22241 - Steering light knock over bumps.
Engineer Name: Townsend, Ken
Last Modified: 24-APR-06
Category: Chassis
Symptom: 303000 Steering/Handling
Content: User will report light knock over bumps. Some will show slight free play in steering.
Cause is LOWER steering shaft (Under bonnet) NOT the steering rack.
With vehicle static engine off check for free play in steering aprox +/- 3 degrees, with gentle input.
Also some vehicles may exhibit a light knock on uneven surfaces between 10 to 15 mph.
If the shaft is the cause please use new part number QMN500240 (RHD) or QMN500250 (LHD) to repair as this has improved characteristics for noise. Part was introduced to production at L319 - LA390436
L320 - LS956379. If shaft does not resolve knocking noise please submit an EPQR and contact dealer technical support. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #29591 Thu May 04 2006 7:52am
MDP

United Kingdom 

You beet me to it Smarticus Thumbs Up

This is exactly what I was experiencing and have subsequently had done. My car was in yesterday and they have fitted the new part to the lower steering shaft. So far all seems well - I will of course monitor as usual Wink 

Post #29612 Thu May 04 2006 9:25am
BBlackRRS

MDP, how about high speed take offs? Did you ever get vibrations through the wheel if you floored the gas? Also, how about highway passing speeds if you were to floor it as well? Besides the knocking of course.

[quote="MDP"]You beet me to it Smarticus Thumbs Up

This is exactly what I was experiencing and have subsequently had done. My car was in yesterday and they have fitted the new part to the lower steering shaft. So far all seems well - I will of course monitor as usual Wink[/quote]

Post #30039 Fri May 05 2006 9:55am
Roland

Switzerland 

...as expected my dealer, which happens to be the major LR dealer in Switzerland, kew nothing about that technical bulletin regarding steering knock.

Might be they'll receive it in a couple of weeks but since I seem to be the only RRS or D3 owner in the greater Zurich area with that problem (that dealer has sold about 150 cars !!), LR Switzerland might not even bother to admit that there is such a fault....

I'd like to get in touch with the tech dept at Solihull. What was that e-mail address again? SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #30305 Sat May 06 2006 4:57am
Smarticus

Seems like a few owners are getting this issue fixed at the moment as LR have run out of parts needed ... Following is the email from my dealer on this matter :

Hi Mark.
We have ordered the parts for your vehicle as per FAQ however these parts are on back order from Land Rover. I will attempted to get them ASAP. I will be in touch when they are in so we can organise getting your vehicle in for the repair.
Any problems to not hesitate to conatact me.

Stu. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #31165 Tue May 09 2006 10:16pm
BBlackRRS

MDP, care to give us an update on this repair, has it solved both problems???

Post #32832 Tue May 16 2006 9:14pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Big Cry Big Cry sadly not.

I had'nt got round to posting this yet - but - needed more time to evaluate the outcome.

No change whatsoever Sad Obviously the new part is recommended by LR but is not the cure Confused

I will discuss this with my dealer/service technician asap. In fact when it goes in next ( soon ) for the latest Supercharged software release update I shall get someone to come out in the sport for a test drive with me. Hopefully get them to listen to this bloody annoying squeak/rattle/oink from the "B" pillar next to my right ear. 

Post #32850 Tue May 16 2006 11:52pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

Post #32861 Wed May 17 2006 5:47am
Smarticus

My car went in for the steering fix but sadly the problem is still there. A light knocking at the front end on mildly uneven road surfaces, especially when going down hill. Feels like a loose ball joint or too much play in some suspension or steering component. It falls into the mildly annoying category - although you have to wonder if there may be safety implications if something is loose.....

Has anyone who has had this issue had it properly fixed yet ? RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #37750 Thu Jun 08 2006 9:35pm
texas911

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

That's BS about the hammer on type weights for the wheels. My RRS has stick on weights inside the rims. Obviously your dealer doesn't have the stick on weights and is feeding you a load of bull. 2006 RRS Silver/Black

Post #37753 Thu Jun 08 2006 10:23pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Tend to agree on the weights thing - This knock etc is nothing to do with wheel balancing. It is definately a steering column/shaft related problem.

My car is going back in on the 21/6 to sort out the annoying sqeek from the drivers side B pillar - so will mention again that their previous attemt to sort my steering has not worked at all Crying or Very sad 

Post #37789 Fri Jun 09 2006 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>