RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering vibrations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green
Steering vibrations

I picked up my RRS yesterday from the dealer after they performed the first, 7500 mile service. I was surprised that they drained and refilled the gear box?

So, here is the problem, I now notice a subtle vibration in the steering, I can feel the steering wheel index, back and forth when going into a turn. It's most noticable if I hold the steering wheel with a light touch, so as to better pick up the feeling in my finger tips.

For those of you "rolling your eyes" I know it sounds a bit strange, however it is real. Is there anyone out there that either had or is having this problem. Additionally, is there anyone who might have an idea as to what this might be. BTW I had the tires dynamically balanced and they are perfect.

Post #28178 Fri Apr 28 2006 1:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

The first thing to check is that your wheel bolts are all tight.
Mine did the same, until I realised that I had forgotten to fully tighten the bolts of the left-front wheel after taking it off Embarassed

Won't make that mistake again.

Paul

Post #28190 Fri Apr 28 2006 5:52am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Davis, my RRS has developed a slight knocking sound / sensation from the front end (steering rack, suspension mountings or somewhere around there) which is apparent at lowish speeds on uneven surfaces. Mileage is 7,000 like yours (but no service due here till 15,000). I would describe as a vibration, as it is a very low frequncy at one slight knock at each slight road imperfection. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #28196 Fri Apr 28 2006 6:28am
Biggles

England 

Smarticus,

That is how mine started to develop,

Fixes to try and cure,

Full four wheel balance and alignment
Ball Joints, Worn badly on passenger side.
Anti Roll bar bushes, All worn.
Hand brake modification Laughing
New Compressor.

This was all carried out to a car that had done 11000 miles and was eight months old.

Even after all this the problem still remained and I was told that it is one of the quirks of the sport, and that is the joy of owning a land rover. Rolling Eyes Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #28202 Fri Apr 28 2006 7:13am
TechnoPOP

Croatia 
Knocking sound when steering at low speeds on uneven surface

My RRS has 8000 KM and it does the sam thing. I went to my dealer and they know about the problem but they have no fix. It started after 3000 KM and it's there.

Post #28257 Fri Apr 28 2006 8:59am
AdrianT

United Kingdom 

Rolling Eyes
Mine's in the dealer (12k miles) for the same reason - but more severe.

Oh it's in for other stuff too! I wonder if they will say it's a 'software issue' as they do for the other faults!

All rather 'microsoft' to me! (Check out 'bad vibrations')

Oh, if your car is at the dealer, for anything, make sure they are feeding back to the factory like good little dealers! Most of them are not! No trail too steep, no mud too deep!
----But ouch that last river cost an ecu or two!

Post #28327 Fri Apr 28 2006 11:10am
DAVIS

Made an appointment with the dealer in Reno Nevada for Monday AM. It's a small dealership and I'm a bit concerned about their "talent pool" with regard to diagnostic skill.

Very strange problem, feels like wheel balance but is not? I'll report out Monday evening...

Post #28571 Sat Apr 29 2006 3:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sniegy

Australia 

Hi guys,
We have had a few clients with the same issue, Confused
We have balanced the wheel on the vehicle, NOT by removing the wheel & balancing it serpeartley.
By doing it this way(on the vehicle) you also balance the shaft & this had tended to fix the problem. Smile 01 D2 Bonatti TD5
"Wish List" - TDV6 Sport Tonga with Alpaca.

Keep Smilin' Pete.

Post #28786 Mon May 01 2006 10:33am
DAVIS

Dropped of my RRS this morning and spoke with the Service Manager, nice guy however not sure he was "on top" of things. They gave me a loaner car, a '05 Freelander. I discovered that if you hold the steering wheel at 3 and 6 o'clock and bend your neck as far forward as possible no one can recognize you in a Freelander Cool

I'll report out what they found when we pick "her" up...

Post #28870 Mon May 01 2006 9:23pm
m5con

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I've also had this knock with 1500miles on the car, they replaced the anti roll bar bushes! and it's back 400 miles later. She's goind in again! Crying or Very sad 2006 tdv6 hse Bonatti grey
1995 ///M5 3.8 6 speed 340bhp
1989 ///m3 converitable 198bhp
1989 gsi carlton (track car)

Post #28871 Mon May 01 2006 9:26pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

DAVIS wrote:
.... I discovered that if you hold the steering wheel at 3 and 6 o'clock and bend your neck as far forward as possible no one can recognize you in a Freelander Cool ...

Rolling with laughter Classic!

Keep us updated if they manage to resolve it! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #28909 Tue May 02 2006 8:44am
BBlackRRS

Then you obviously have an all wheel drive balancing machine or dyno which is not the most prevelant piece of machinery needed to correct these sort of things, nor are they cheap.

[quote="Sniegy"]Hi guys,
We have had a few clients with the same issue, Confused
We have balanced the wheel on the vehicle, NOT by removing the wheel & balancing it serpeartley.
By doing it this way(on the vehicle) you also balance the shaft & this had tended to fix the problem. Smile[/quote]

Post #29026 Tue May 02 2006 2:53pm
DAVIS

Now for the rest of the story... I picked up the RRS this morning and immediately noticed "new" weights on all 4 wheels. This was somewhat aggravating as I just had the wheels balanced! So, the technician, Mike and I went for a drive on the freeway to give it a road test. Well, I'll be damned they fixed it. Mike told me there is a technical service bulletin out regarding placement of wheel weights, specifically the need to remove any stick on weights from the back side of the wheel to prevent them from cutting the brake lines. He went on to say that the RRS and Turbo are very road sensitive and the Turbo comes equiped with a steering dampner to compensate for the 20" wheels.

Mike also told me that you can evaluate how the voice activation feature is reacting to your speech. If you press the "invisable' button on the nav screen and enter 732 (I think that was the number sequence) you can find a meter that shows either red or green when you speak. The idea behind this is, you need to train your speech style such that it finally shows green. Mike indicated that speaking too soft or too loud etc. can put the recognition on tilt.

Post #29154 Tue May 02 2006 8:44pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

DAVIS wrote:
If you press the "invisable' button on the nav screen and enter 732

Question Question Question how's that work then Question Question Question RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #29164 Tue May 02 2006 9:44pm
Sniegy

Australia 

[quote="BBlackRRS"]Then you obviously have an all wheel drive balancing machine or dyno which is not the most prevelant piece of machinery needed to correct these sort of things, nor are they cheap.

Evening BBlackRRS,
You may be correct in what u are saying, but the issue here is the end user
"U" guys, u just want your vehicle fixed dont u!!
This is what we try & achieve, customer feedback for us is good & thats what we will try & achieve day in day out. Plus i love the LR brand with a passion. 01 D2 Bonatti TD5
"Wish List" - TDV6 Sport Tonga with Alpaca.

Keep Smilin' Pete.

Post #29173 Wed May 03 2006 12:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>