RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Taking it out of 'D' at traffic light...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

V8KIP

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Taking it out of 'D' at traffic light...

Hi all,

Very stupid question, and I should really refer to the handbook but just wanted your opinions anyway.

I've been driving my RRS since December (my first auto in 18 years of driving!). I basically keep the car in drive all the time apart from obviously reversing or parking. The wife mentioned the other day about how she puts the car in park at the traffic lights or in heavy traffic, which got me thinking! am i doing any harm by leaving it in drive with my foot on the brake? Should I be in nuetral with the handbrake on or other?

If I am not doing anything wrong, what is Nuetral for on an auto Embarassed Confused

Thanks Laughing

Post #288675 Thu Feb 10 2011 10:03pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Knock mine into N most times at traffic lights etc. Geek or what!

Post #288676 Thu Feb 10 2011 10:12pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I put mine into S most of the time ready to shoot off the lights - especially if I have someone revving beside me! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #288677 Thu Feb 10 2011 10:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Much better for the gear box longevity to put it into N than D and then engage the electronic parking brake. Anybody stopped behind your RRS when your wife is driving must have kittens when she shifts back to D and the reversing lights come on as the selector moves through R Rolling with laughter
One reason for having N on an automatic Land Rover is so you can engage the low ratio gearbox, even on manual gearboxed Landies you still have to go into neutral to shift from Hi to Lo range boxes.
Like DSL I always go into N if stopped at traffic lights for any more than a couple of minutes - it's easier on your brake pads and stops the gearbox trying to drive against the footbrake and the temperature inside the box getting high and causing dmage internally. Folks stopped behind you at the lights will also appreciate not being blinded by three hi-vis brake lights burning out their eyeballs too if you engage the EPB! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #288681 Thu Feb 10 2011 10:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I do exactly as Tim. saves the drag on the box and brakes at the lights and also saves fuel.
Muff If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #288693 Fri Feb 11 2011 12:06am
V8KIP

Thanks guys Smile

Tim, is there any benefit from using the electronic parking brake when in neutral over just resting your foot on the brake pedal?

And big pimp, what is S (i assume sport but don't remember seeing it on mine). I have a 57 TDV8

Cheers all.

Post #288694 Fri Feb 11 2011 12:06am
alanad

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

V8KIP wrote:
Thanks guys Smile

Tim, is there any benefit from using the electronic parking brake when in neutral over just resting your foot on the brake pedal?

And big pimp, what is S (i assume sport but don't remember seeing it on mine). I have a 57 TDV8

Cheers all.

When you are in drive, push the gear lever to the left, you are now in sport mode. 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic, Corris Grey with contrast Santorini Black Panoramic Roof, lunar interior, privacy glass, upgraded Meridian system, cooled 18 way front seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, large screen wash bottle.

Gone: 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black, Ivory/Lunar interior, grand black lacquer finish, HK Logic 7.1 Surround, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, heated steering wheel.

Gone: Jaguar XF Luxury, Pearl Grey, Dove Interior

Post #288697 Fri Feb 11 2011 12:24am
V8KIP

alanad wrote:
V8KIP wrote:
Thanks guys Smile

Cheers all.

When you are in drive, push the gear lever to the left, you are now in sport mode.

I see!! Haven't really used that yet Laughing So does it release more bhp or something, or do they just call it sport because it allows you to manually change up/down Confused

Thanks all, sorry for the numpty questions Embarassed Thumbs Up

Post #288725 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:26am
Jonny Fresh

England 

Sport mode changes gear later......

I never put it in park or neutral at lights and I have never put the hand brake (EPB) on Embarassed

never do in automatics.....

when pulling away from lights I normally put it in 1st manually..........

Post #288728 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:48am
pcregeen

Jonny, im with you, unless on a really steep hill, i never use park brake even when parked up. Bad i guess but just lazy. At least i never get to here the EPB Squeal.

Oh, and i leave in drive all the time, Embarassed mainly because of hassle of re applyign foot brake when lights go green before you can move it back into Drive

Post #288742 Fri Feb 11 2011 12:26pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Is there a park brake? Wink Embarassed 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #288743 Fri Feb 11 2011 12:35pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

I guess most of you would fail your test in an auto!!! You are supposed to stick it in neutral at lights, for a variety of reasons, as others have said it is annoying being sat behind a car with the brake lights blazing, and the car wants to go forward as you have your foot on the brake! What happens when you are admiring yourself in a shop window and your foot comes up a mm or two? You are into the back of the car in front!!
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #288789 Fri Feb 11 2011 4:34pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Holding it on the foot brake is bad news, especially if the brakes are hot; it will create a hot-spot on the disks which could cause the disks to warp. I use the parking brake and put the box in neutral every time, force of habit I guess (and a bit of mechanical sympathy!) 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #288799 Fri Feb 11 2011 7:29pm
NJF

Luxembourg 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Balance of opinion here is for staying in gear: http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/carta...62043.page

I agree with the post above, if front disks are very hot, I would prefer not to hold the car idle on the footbrake for very long. But they're rarely so hot.

When I first changed to auto 7 years ago I did the "select N" stuff all the time. Now I only do it if it's obvious that I won't be moving for a few minutes. Every silver lining has a cloud

2007 D3 HSE with winch, RAI, sliders, roof rack, ladder, yellow top, Engel etc for the school run
2010 RRS TDV8 HSE for work

Post #288813 Fri Feb 11 2011 8:47pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

NJF wrote:
...But they're rarely so hot...

You're not driving quick enough Mr. Green 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #288824 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>