RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Taking it out of 'D' at traffic light...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

hogberto

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

Old Stager wrote:

You're not driving quick enough Mr. Green
Thumbs Up

Post #288836 Sat Feb 12 2011 12:08am
V8KIP

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Well I feel better now having read through all these, seems it wasn't such a stupid question after all Thumbs Up

Post #288864 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:04am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

V8KIP wrote:
Tim, is there any benefit from using the electronic parking brake when in neutral over just resting your foot on the brake pedal?

As mentioned further up if you get distracted your foot can slide off the footbrake and as the car is in D it will creep (or worse!) forward into the back of the car in front. IIRC if you read your Highway Code, officially you are not stopped until you have engaged the parking brake, so in effect if you do run into the back of the car in front you could also be done for driving without due care and attention as well as possibly finding that your insurance won't pay up as a result.

The biggest benefit would be if I were stopped behind you would be that you wouldn't have my full beam high lights illuminating the inside of your car - because that is the same effect as sitting stopped with your foot on the footbrake has on the car behind with all your brake lights on has. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #288867 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Sitting with your foot on the brake whilst in D does no harm what so ever to the box, it was physically designed with this in mind, oh and by the way who gives a stuff about the minions behind Whistle

Post #288869 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:21am
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

leedsunited wrote:
Sitting with your foot on the brake whilst in D does no harm what so ever to the box, it was physically designed with this in mind, oh and by the way who gives a stuff about the minions behind Whistle

If you see a RRS behind you in the queue for the traffic lights with his Xenons on full beam, it'll be me Wink Do unto others etc... 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #288870 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

OS Thumbs Up And now I'm in a FFRR the effect is even better as the car sits higher! Fairly ruins the TV screens for those using the RSE at night too 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #288872 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leedsunited

There is a little tab on the rear view mirror to deal with the blind old folks who need to drive around with full beam on Wink

Post #288875 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:37am
Old Stager

Actually, on my MY10 RRS it's an auto dipping mirror Mr. Green

Coming back to the main point of this thread, I'll go with Honest John: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14668/braking-pointers 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #288878 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:40am
leedsunited

Old Stager wrote:

Coming back to the main point of this thread, I'll go with Honest John: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14668/braking-pointers

I prefer good old honest Vic "Get on those brakes and let em all know youve stopped" saves any old farts who cant see what is going on from running into the back of you Thumbs Up

Post #288880 Sat Feb 12 2011 11:50am
Old Stager

leedsunited wrote:
Old Stager wrote:

Coming back to the main point of this thread, I'll go with Honest John: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14668/braking-pointers

I prefer good old honest Vic "Get on those brakes and let em all know youve stopped" saves any old farts who cant see what is going on from running into the back of you Thumbs Up

Good old HJ does cover this very point. Whistle 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #288889 Sat Feb 12 2011 12:48pm
quantz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

My dealer (Jaguar and Land Rover) told me since 8 years it was best to keep it in D with footbrake.
Actually, the box suffers less that way.
Usually, he's very knowledgeable.

"Why ask the transmission to shift into gear thousands of extra times ?" 2010 TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black Tan Full Leather

Post #288922 Sat Feb 12 2011 5:30pm
Old Stager

I don't think leaving it in D whilst stationary for relatively short periods is necessarily a problem. As previoulsy stated in this thread the issues are a) the potential to warp the brake discs if you hold it on the footbrake when the brakes are hot; and b) dazzling the car behind with your brake lights, which is a concern for the more considerate amongst us.

With the electronic parking brake on my MY10, it's no hassle to apply it anyway; you engage it manually, but it disengages automatically when you pull away. My previous BMW was even better - it applied the parking brake automatically every time you came to a halt, then disengaged automatically when you drove off. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #288929 Sat Feb 12 2011 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12