RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Range Rover has left us...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I'm 39 and think the FFRR is too old for me Mr. Green

Then again I saw my local dealer's Supercharged Westminster the other day and I did drool a tad... Whistle RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #288777 Fri Feb 11 2011 2:58pm
1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey

I've had a FFRR and would never go back to one, far too clever and far too poncy build quality which goes wrong all the time. Its a Sport now for me, I wouldn't go back..

Post #288787 Fri Feb 11 2011 4:28pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

FFRR all the way Smile 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #288793 Fri Feb 11 2011 5:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
david.seaton

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Atacama Sand

They are both good in their own ways, and both have failings.
We have one of each.
I prefer the FFRR, but have ended up with the Sport as my wife needs the space of the FFRR.
The FFRR is slower, rolls more, but is a nicer place to be.
The RRS needs to be made to handle as well as the FFRR to justify its' name - it rolls less but is a very nervous edgy thing if you push it. The TDV8S is too quick for something with flawed handling. Also the seat does not quite go back far enough for me at 6' 2".
There is a lot more road and wind noise at speed in the RRS.
However it is still a very pleasant car.
Is the comparison not akin to trying to compare a Freelander to a Discovery ? - really quite different.
However, these are all just an opinion, based on our particular cars, and may well all be aspects that others may neither notice nor would care about.
If you want a REALLY HORRID car - the Audi Q7 must take that award.
A couple of years ago I sold my Audi RS6 as I needed something to tow a racing car with. It was a brilliant car, so I made the mistake of thinking the Q7 would also be good.
Aside of being most uncomfortable and looking like a wheeled hippopotamus, it is normal to get 5000 miles out of a set of tyres (I discovered a few weeks later). Shocked
A quick calculation revealed a potential £3k + per annum on tyres.
I accept that heavy fast things do use tyres - but £3k every year - that is just nuts.
It certainly did chew up tyres - they all do - Audi say it is perfectly acceptable for a vehicle of this weight that drives like a car. I seem to think our RRS and previous X5's are the same, but they don't munch through tyres.
The only place it goes in snow is downhill like a sledge - everywhere else it spins all four wheels and sits still.
Hello Pistonheads classifieds - get this thing out of my life.
Luckily a naive masochist who was probably unaware of the oncoming costs had to have it - he had saved hard and always wanted one. He had convinced his wife that this was the ideal family status symbol, and they needed the space etc etc. It was going to immeasurably improve their lives. He was excited (think damp trousers).
The whole family (wife and three kids) took a 300 mile train journey to collect it. The wife complained about the cost of the train tickets. She was concerned about the fuel consumption for the return journey. She had meticulously planned a route to avoid Motorway Services at meal times as they are very expensive. She did like the Panoramic Sunroof. I calculated that this 300 mile trip home was going to cost them £70 in fuel and £54 in tyre wear. I kept off the subject of tyres.
You know the saying "the light at the end of the tunnel is that of an oncoming train"
I strongly suspect he will be divorced by now.
I still come out in a nasty red rash if a Q7 goes past.

Post #288811 Fri Feb 11 2011 8:45pm
dric0327

United Kingdom 

Great post ! Rolling with laughter 2016 MY16.5 HSE, 21" Rims, Waitamo Grey, Cirrus Leather, Extended Leather, Meridian sound

i ain't no dizzy rascal

Post #288911 Sat Feb 12 2011 3:06pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

XXXAngelXXX wrote:
FFRR all the way Smile

I am surprised Angel, i thought a Tiger tank was your chariot of choice Whistle Wink Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #288970 Sun Feb 13 2011 10:49am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My 2p......................
I've owned 2 x FFRR and 2X RRS

1st FFRR was a TD6 SE - I saved for more than 20 years to buy it and it was my dream car, I loved it - it was faultless apart from a blown headlight lamp in the 2.5 years I owned it. I took it into the local LR dealership and came home owning a just launched TDv6 RRS.................... The differences were not so stark except that the 2.7 engine was a huge amount quieter and smoother than the 3.0TD6 and it was an economical car to run. It never broke down although it did have some ECU gremlins in the first year, fixed under warranty - it was also delivered missing part of its emissions control equipment, also fitted under warranty by the local dealer in a day. At 2.5 years old I wanted a change and went out looking for a TDv8 HSE and found one via Kam at what was then CHPR, now LPR!, and hand on heart I can say (even after 6 months of TDv8 FFRR ownership) it is the BEST all round car I have ever owned. It was comfortable, fast enough for me and very economical never broke down although it had 2 sets of front bushes during my 28000 miles of ownership. I wanted to replace it with a 2010MY TDv8 but when I went looking LR had just stopped production of them and all that were left in the stock yard were not in specs that I liked/wanted. Basically my RRS was a FANTASTIC car. I now have a TDv8 FFRR Vogue, it is the highest specced car I ahve ever owned, it is beautifully built (despite an annoying rattle some in the region of the driver's door lock!) is actually faster off the mark than the RRS BUT it lacks the DR system of the TDv8 RRS so rolls somewhat like an ocean liner in a storm when driven vigorously (which really isn't the way a FFRR is meant to be driven!). Unlike the RRS, every time I go out in the FFRR it feels something special - it is the most expensive car I have ever owned, it is beautiful, it is beautifully built and finished and is a waft mobile, not for spirited driving. NOW if the RRS (even the 2010MY) had the same quality of interior as the FFRR I would be back in one tomorrow, I don't need the cathedral sized interior of the FFRR although about 3 times a year it is useful to have all that space to load up without having to resort to my trailer. If I could afford the new 4.4 TDv8 FFRR I would love one - I have driven several and I could then hand on heart say that the FFRR is better than the TDv8 RRS - it has a superb engine and an amazing gearbox PLUS the handling of the TDv8/S/C RRS but with the superb ride of a Range Rover.

Horses for courses - I'm older than most who post on here, I still enjoy a blast in a car and the TDv8 RRS was superb for that because it did it with confidence and with ease, but it was just as happy to cruise at 70 on the cruise control all day as well. Today the TDv8 FFRR has also proved to be more economical to fuel than the TDv8 RRS, but maybe because I I have to negotiate the local twisty in less of a hurry! One thing you don't get in any RRS is the sense of occassion that you get every time you drive out in a FFRR, it really does make you feel superior to others sitting so high above the plebs in their Mercs and Audis...................

There 4WDriver, never even mentioned the X5 Rolling with laughter 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #288974 Sun Feb 13 2011 12:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Thanks Tim!

The RRS I had I loved for the 6 or 7 months that it worked! Yes in that period it had a couple of things under warranty but it drove beautifully, was comfortable and looked stunning! Unfortunately when the cold weather of 2009 hit then so did the gremlins culminating in the car lying at the dealer for 3 months while they scratched their heads and swapped just about every ECU in the car to cure it! When I pay 50k for a car I expect slightly better reliability and ability from dealers in fixing more complicated problems!

My initial thought was to ask for it to be replaced by an equivalent model. Dealer wanted a shed load of cash there way to do that which actually turned out all they were trying to do was get me to trade it in!! If they'd been that interested in keeping a first time buyer then surely they would have done a bit more than that? If they had I would still have had an RRS!

I bought the X5 in Liverpool last April and apart from a few little niggles (parking sensor, tail gate strut and a key) its been fine. I've done nearly 13000 miles in it now, the Bridgestones that were fitted came off for winter tyres (never stuck in snow since) at 9500 miles they were like new still! It, for me, has proved to be infinitely more reliable than the RRS, cheaper to run, better equipped and a LOT more powerful! Only place were the RRS wins in ride quality but then that could be just the run flat tyres to be honest!

Yesterday I did Kirkwall to Stromness, on the ferry, down to Wick then wick to Aberdeen all on less than half a tank of fuel at aversge of 50mph. That included putting a Disco 4 in its place out of Inverness and passing where I needed to.

Since I use my car for work just now, (still "discussing" the car or allowance thing) I need a car that I can get in and know it won't let me down and be able to have confidence in! For now the X5 ticks all those boxes for me over my RRS!

Sorry guys! But would I have another RRS? Maybe if I ever see the build quality and reliability issues getting sorted out! Right now I'd have a Freeby over another Sport though! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #288976 Sun Feb 13 2011 1:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123