RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Increased Fuel Consumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

PaulB

England 
Increased Fuel Consumption

Has anyone else noticed increased fuel consumption during the recent cold spell ?
I have been getting 24-26mpg, but over the last 2 weeks, that has dropped to only 21-22mpg. I raised this with the dealer today and they suggested that it was likely to be the fuel heater because of the very cold weather we've been having.
Anyone else ?

Paul

Post #16292 Tue Mar 07 2006 8:12pm
Pelyma

England 

I'd say he was right

Post #16293 Tue Mar 07 2006 8:49pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Its winter diesel Wink Chips with everything

Post #16299 Tue Mar 07 2006 10:26pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I also suppose the extra use of the seat warmers, heated screens etc all add their toll too. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #16308 Wed Mar 08 2006 2:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

I think I've got to the bottom of the increased fuel consumption that I reported.
I stopped using the heated seats and although the weather is still cold, it hasn't been sub-zero here for a while, but I've still been struggling to get more than 22mpg.
However, I went out last night and on the outward journey, I averaged 22.7mpg, but on the return journey, I averaged 28.4mpg. Shocked
The difference ??
I filled up at a Shell station before returning home.
I've been filling up at a local Tesco for the past month or so and I can only assume that their fuel is of an inferior quality. I'll keep an eye on it and I'll try another tank full of Tesco fuel to see if the consumption goes up again.
I knew that all fuels weren't equal, but I'm amazed at the difference that this would suggest.

Paul

Post #18921 Sat Mar 18 2006 10:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

On long runs in weather as cold as we have been having I have found that my fuel consumption is generally a lot better once the car is fully warmed up - these are trips of 200-300 miles not wee runs around town! I put it down to the intercooler and Turbo working better at forcing more air into the combustion chamber. With my TD6 RR that I ran I was able to do the Stirling/Southampton run when the outside air temperature hovered round 1-2C all day and get the fuel consumption to 35mpg.........
Do you remember when Clarkson did the endurance run in an Audi A8 Tdi and was able to get much better fuel figures running without the Auto Aircon on or the heaters or the seat heaters etc and he froze for the trouble he went to.....

Do you put your Sport in a garage at night Paul? That also can make a difference on a cold day. My Td6RR and the TD4 Freelander that I ran had diesel powered heaters built in which also helped by being able to prewarm the engine before use, at the press of a remote control button. This doesn't appear to be even an option on the TDv6. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #18922 Sat Mar 18 2006 10:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

Diesel engines are left efficient when cold than they are when warm, obviously Wink , However, the difference isn't as marked as it is for petrol engines, they are much less efficient when cold.
I always have the air-con in ECON mode during the winter months. There's no point running a compressor to cool air that is already cooler than you want inside the car Smile
The point here is that two journeys on the same evening, under the same circumstances gave very different fuel consumption figures with the only difference being the brand of fuel.
My RRS will go in my garage but I have two single up & over doors rather than one large one and it is a very tight fit Confused Consequently, I tend to leave it out because I'm sure that one day, I won't be paying quite enough attention and I'll scrape it Crying or Very sad
I do indeed remember the Top Gear item. 800 miles on a single tank of fuel for a large exec car was very impressive. I've always had a soft spot for the A8 Cool

Paul

Post #18925 Sat Mar 18 2006 12:01pm
LRtuning

I agree with PaulB but there is a huge difference in quality of fuels and the the effect of winter diesel on fuel consumption.

With our experience with trucks we always see fuel consumption increasing by at least 5% up to as much as 12% when a diesel engine is working in the winter months on winter diesel and I see no reason why that would not be the same on diesel engined cars.

Effectively you have 4 type os fuel to choose from during the year;

Summer

A) 'Supermarket' or lower quality low sulphur diesel
B) High quality low sulphur diesel e.g. BP Ultimate

and during the winter

C) 'Supermarket' or lower quality low sulphur WINTER diesel
D) High Quality low Sulphur WINTER diesel e.g. BP Ultimate

And what is WINTER diesel?

Basically its a mix of diesel, petrol and other additives to prevent diesle from 'waxing' in the fuel lines due to cold temperatures. As a result of these additives the winter diesel does not burn as efficiently and this results in lower power outputs and higher fuel economy.

It is purely up to the fuel manufacturers as to when they introduce the winter diesel but you usually start to see it appearing from the end of November through until the end of March.

Also remember that the manufacturers deliver fuel continuously so even when winter diesel is first delivered its benefits are reduced as it mixes with normal diesel in to the petrol station tanks so the full effects of it may not be seen for a number weeks.

Hope this helps Wink Chips with everything

Post #18927 Sat Mar 18 2006 1:23pm
PaulB

England 

Thanks TC. I wasn't aware that diesel changed for the winter months.
I think I'll stay clear of supermarkets though from now on except for maybe one fill-up just to prove the difference.

Paul

Post #18928 Sat Mar 18 2006 1:40pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

So BP ultimate is worth the extra 3p? As for prices it amazes me the difference between stations - Clacket lane on M25 98.9p to a shell station near Sevenoaks 89.9p. My local sainsburys is 93.9p whereas as Local BP is 96.9p. Don't you love .9p why not round it up! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #18929 Sat Mar 18 2006 1:49pm
LRtuning

Supermarkets are the same as Fuel suppliers!!

Sausages for £1.99...why dont they just say £2!!! Wink Chips with everything

Post #18930 Sat Mar 18 2006 1:58pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

It's a joke isn't it. It's like Mrs Va saying her new shoes cost £90.00 when they wer £99.99. Shocked 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #18931 Sat Mar 18 2006 2:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Very Annoyed wrote:
It's a joke isn't it. It's like Mrs Va saying her new shoes cost £90.00 when they wer £99.99. Shocked

Yes, VA ...............but she knows you would shout at her if she told you she had bought a £100 pair of shoes doesn't she Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #18933 Sat Mar 18 2006 2:55pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Very Annoyed wrote:
It's a joke isn't it. It's like Mrs Va saying her new shoes cost £90.00 when they wer £99.99. Shocked

Only £90 for a pair of shoes? There was a pair of shoes for £180 doing the rounds at Shmoogle Towers recently... until Mrs S decided she didn't like them after all and took them back (with gentle persuasion from me, of course) Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #19126 Mon Mar 20 2006 12:04pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Think you win this one Shmoogle Very Happy RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #19130 Mon Mar 20 2006 12:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>