RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > SEVERE PROBLEM WITH MY RRS..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>

kam100

United Kingdom 
SEVERE PROBLEM WITH MY RRS..

Right, just got back from a day out to Iver in London to pick up my sisters new Audi A3 3.2 DSG, and a shopping trip in Bicester, and the RRS has nearly killed me twice today!

Driving along M40 at reasonable pace on cruise, suddenly cruise drops off (with the jerk it likes to do) and there is a bling from the dash board, and it says: " SPECIAL PROGRAMMES OFF" and the engine looses complete power, as if its stalled.. Im in fast lane with cars to my left, a car quite close behind and a truck on the far left. I hit the hazards, and swung in behind the middle lane car, braked into gap behind the truck and slowed to a halt on hard shoulder. Me and my brother in law in car, and my brother in law is really surprised whats just happened..

Would be surprised myself, but this is second time this has happened now, first time happened when i was on motorway to the 4x4 newbie event two weeks ago. Thought it might be something to do with Cruise control as been on it both times this has happened, decided to not use until i've had this checked out.

On the way from London - Bicester north bound M40 later in afternoon, driving at normal pace off cruise this time, with the flame red A3 of my sisters behind me with Bro in law driving, and it does it again, this time there are two trucks in middle and left lane, countless middle lane car traffic, with no gap to drop into, this time, a middle lane car swerves to avoid me and went round me on the fast lane, and i managed to stop relatively safely.. My brother in law slammed his anchors on luckily, as he was watching out for this, from on the way there.

Again reboot car, and all seems fine, now getting 'low cooler level' indication on whenever i accelerate up to motorway speed, and also today getting a mechanical spring noise coming from the front right of the interior as well as the seat's pad bouncing up and down as and when i get in/out, despite me trying my best to avoid pressing any pressure on it.

Right, im definitely visiting LR first thing Monday, and am going to put in a serious technical complaint and demand the car is looked at instantly, i can get quite arsey when the need arises, and i intend to do that if they don't take the problem seriously. The car is grounded for tommorow, and i don't intent to drive it till this is sorted out. Loosing power at motorway speeds with no warning, and no way of restarting is a problem, and can imagine it causing a whole load of grief if it happened at rush hour.

Anyone want to reccomend the best way of approaching this, i don't want to go in all guns blazing, until they try and fob it off, and want to really frighten them into taking some serious action over this. The car could have killed me and my brother in law today and made orphans of my 3 yr old nephew and 4 week old niece. Gloves off time i think..

SO list so far:

1/ Engine cutting out at motorway speeds.
2/ Weird spring noise every time the car hits bump from drivers side front area (nothing stowed in any cubby hole or anything).
3/ Seat pad bouncing up and down everytime you get in and out, looks like support underneath is not holding as it should do.
4/ Sort out my PDC switch on (have GTR - Thanks RRUK).

My question, would this engine cutting out be a LR assist case?
Does anyone on here have any powers with anyone in LR? I intend to present this case to Solihull Stratstone as my local and supplying LR Dealer.

My TDV6 is not chipped, has no bolt on device and is completely as standard mechanically wise. Real pee'd off this has happened, had the pleasure these last few weekends to really get some driving in, with the RRS before i trade it in for the RS4, but now i just want it sorted out.

Post #16854 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:20am
DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

kam, what you are describing is a "near death experience" and I would not ask but instead demand that they come get the vehicle and tow it in for a complete analysis. Can you imagine the bad press if something, heaven forbid, would have happened. I suspect (hope) this is an isolated incident, if it is happening with any frequency I would expect that a recall would go out to all owners. That said, has anyone had a similar problem? Glad your okay and I'm guessing your Brother In-law will take a taxi next time Rolling Eyes

Post #16855 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

Thanks..
I am not one to make a mountain out of a mole hill, and like to avoid dealership contact as much as possible, with service jockeys, as to be honest.. they Censored me off completely and utterly most of the time.. But i think for the safety of myself and my family for future motorway events, as well as for the next owner, i should at least have the car booked in for complete checkover. Im hoping it will still be logged somewhere in the on board data, and there is a small problem causing this, but for an engine to shut down completely.. is not a good thing for any vehicle.

I know my local press like to jump on companies backs, and LR factory being on their turf may give them cause to jump up and down about this, im thinking of recording conversations that i may have with LR reps about this, should i inform them that i am doing this? i don't want to be fobbed off with this problem, but i also don't want to be without a car, or stuck in a freelander/disco3, i paid £44500 for an RRS, and i intend to keep driving it as long as possible.

This i feel is an isolated incident, and it seems to be a fault in the engine management, rather then an actual mechanical problem. The fuel was plenty, heat oil indicator on normal mid temp, and nothing out of the ordinary for a while.. Only thing has been the "engine coolant low" message had come on/off but i was told at last bookin (about a month and a half ago now) that this was a faulty sensor and it had been replaced.

I remember you said, BN you had some contacts at LR, any chance of some background help here?

I intend to document this issue completely in every detail.

We lost my brother in law's younger brother (aged 21) in an unexplained motorway RTA in 2001 on the M69, and it was put down to driver error, as no other vehicle was involved and it was thought he fell asleep at the wheel, if we were to find out it was anything to do with mechanical error, as you can imagine we would not be too impressed. We are nervous as it is driving on motorways without the damn car we have spent a good part of £50k on (partly to protect us) conking out and leaving us for dead in a 70mph 2.5tonne target for the cars and trucks behind.. people tail gate so much nowadays, its remakable i have got away with this three times already.. there won't be a forth time.

Post #16856 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:56am
chex

read this kam

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2468

Post #16857 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:10am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

This is not good, kam. You must make alot of noise at the dealers!

I had a similar problem with my Disco2 sometime back. The only difference is that my engine does not stall but there is no acceleration!!

Imagine overtaking a truck on a hillslope and suddenly no power. The engine is running but will not rev!! Problen is that this is intermittent and quite difficult to recreate, especially at the dealers.

Sent it twice to the dealers. First time they said something about bad connection and that everything is settled. Took the car back and after a few days the same thing happened again.

This time I made big noise! Even threathened to send the car back to the UK!! Finally they changed the whole accelarator pedal (this drive by wire thingy had something at the pedal) and, touch wood, it has cured the problem. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #16858 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:12am
kam100

United Kingdom 

chex wrote:
read this kam

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2468

Thanks.. Very useful.

My car has done 10300 Miles now. Looks like turbo may have gone, and seems this is a recent issue. Heard a couple of people mention a problem like this before, but not at high speeds only as seems to be the case here. Think LR are realy starting to sweat about this.

Post #16859 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:44am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Kam, don't drive the car and call LRAssist immediately - they will arrange a rental car to replace the Sport (probably a Fiesta!) and get yours to the nearest dealer today but if your weather is anything like ours you have 2 chances - none and not a lot, even with a Discovery or RRSport as the recovery car - we have had 9" of snow here since 11pm last night. By driving the car you accept that it is safe to do so when it patently isn't.

2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #16866 Sun Mar 12 2006 9:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

Hi Tim,
Whoa.. probably the most snow i've heard falling in the UK, but sure you've probably seen worse.

Don't use a broom to clean off the snow, you'll make everyone angry on here!!

Right, have loads of documentation on this now off disco3.co.uk (well printouts off the forum), a list of faults with my car at the moment that can have some attention, as well as the GTR for the PDC issue.

Im going to get ready, then call LR Assist..
Apparently this happened to Volvo cars also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio...0214.shtml

Wonder if this is an overall Ford problem!!?? hope not, but i think Ford won't want another watchdog repeat for their LR brand as well..

Post #16906 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:08pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Did you hear about the BMW driver who's accelerator stuck and ended up doing 130mph down the A1M. I think I would prefer it your way round! Best of luck with sorting this out. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #16913 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:17pm
Tim in Scotland

Just added some more pics to my Stealth car posting - the snow is 2 feet deep on the top and back of the car. Just experienced car lifting up to extended ride height - above normal @extended@ height. So that sensor works! Looks weird that high up! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #16914 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:22pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Just had a chat with a guy called Lee at LR Assist (phoned at 12:30pm Sunday 12th March). Very helpful and arse licking chap (just as they should be!) - i mentioned i had consulted with my solicitor (well the forum anyway!), and he had said the above that i shouldn't touch the car, as that would be accepting nothing is wrong with it. Lee agreed and said: Of course..

He is saying it sounds like a Turbo Hose failure, and that a technician is going to be consulted with right now, and he will 'attend to my vehicle' and when asked what that actually means, he said, the guy will actually come out and look at the car. I basically refused to touch the RRS and said its on my drive, come on and take a look..

Wow.. Lee has got back to me already (12:40pm Sunday 12/03/06).. A guy called Chris Metchalf has been given the job to come and have a look at it. Says he will be here approx 4pm, i asked if he can call on approach, he said that wouldn't be a problem. As i actually need to go out and about seeing as though its one of my only days off!.. Seems they have an idea of what customer service actually is.. or was it because this is a serious issue and i mentioned i could have got into a hairy situation, or that i mentioned this was a documented problem on the disco3 models and also a ford group brand has been experiencing similar problems as well..

Then and only then if Chris thinks so, will another car be provided. if they give me a ford fiesta, i'm telling you, they will get back 1/2 a ford fiesta...
How embarrasing having my car low loaded off my driveway though, im hoping he will just drive it away.. my neighbourhood is very wide open and very american style with everyone trying their best to keep up with the jones'. In my immediate surroundings, there is a Bmw X5 owner, a Jeep Cherokee, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Mercs, Bmws etc.. They will all be at home being a sunday and some probably out and about, and they will all see my RRS being limped onto a low loader.. either that or replaced with a damn ford fiesta or something!

Post #16921 Sun Mar 12 2006 1:53pm
Tim in Scotland

In my rare experiences of LR ASSIST they have been exceedingly courteous and the techie guy arrived within 20 minutes on both occassaions.
On the 1st occassion I was taking a Disco2 to be part exchanged for a Freelander when the D2 threw it's auxy drive belt and LRAssist still insisted on arrranging a rental car (a Cavalier V6 in that case) even though I was on my way to pick up a new car!

2nd time I had been in the south in the Freelander and had been offroading along the Ridgeway. Drove back to the accomodation I was staying at and parked the car for a week unwashed and covered in mud from top to bottom. When I started up and tried to drive off the brakes howled like mad with the mud dried inside them. I couldn't clear it even at a jet wash. LRAssist guy arrived at remote Calshot Spit and took all the wheels off in turn and cleaned out the entire braking system on the spot.

In 12 years of Land Rover ownership those are the only times I have required the help of LRAssist! They are pretty good but maybe I got them on quiet days! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #16924 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:11pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Very Annoyed wrote:
Did you hear about the BMW driver who's accelerator stuck and ended up doing 130mph down the A1M. I think I would prefer it your way round! Best of luck with sorting this out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...altop.html

What a dumbass..
its being commented heavily on Bm3w.. everyone on there reckon, he should have veered off onto the hard shoulder, got it in a straight run, then turned off the engine.. car would have come to a halt almost immediately with minimal risk.. yeah the steering would have locked, and the engine would have probably Censored itself, but at least the car could have been brought to a standstill in a straight line without harming anyone else..

In america, they would have used patrol cars to ram him into the side and slow him down using the friction off the side barriers..

Post #16925 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

How can the accelerator cable stick on a car that uses a "fly by wire" electronic system? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #16926 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:14pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
In 12 years of Land Rover ownership those are the only times I have required the help of LRAssist! They are pretty good but maybe I got them on quiet days!

I hope today is a quiet day for them.. and i hope i get at least a V6 car in exchange.. If this is a backorder item and i have to live with a piece of Censored for the next couple of weeks, i won't be a happy bunny, considering i have such a short time left in the RRS anyway. But hey i guess it can't be as bad as what VA had to drive around in when he had his first bash in his RRS... Courtesy cars at their best hey VA.

Post #16927 Sun Mar 12 2006 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>