RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Drivers door seal worn away and split in 18 months
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Drivers door seal worn away and split in 18 months

Just taken my car in to have 4 wheel tracking done and asked them to replace the drivers side rubber door seal under warranty as it is worn away and spit.
Service Manager examined it and said it was my fault as I rub it when getting into the seat.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem and had any joy getting it replaced under warranty? MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #237081 Thu Sep 17 2009 11:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
islider

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

WTF?

Who are the Dealer, did they supply it to you?

Are you saying they wouldn't replace under warranty?

If yes, tell him the part is a door seal. It's designed to surround an open aperture that involves people entering and exiting the vehicle.

I. Bloody E. you are allowed to touch it when getting in and out, without it falling apart. They'll be telling you not to sit on the seats next. Evil or Very Mad

Post #237082 Thu Sep 17 2009 11:14am
ChrisP

It's not the supplying dealer,I'll try them next.
I did point out to the SM that I didn't feel it was fit for purpose as it should have been designed to resist wear from me getting in,what surprised me he didn't even try to make a warranty claim for me.
My 220tdi Discovery did 250,000 miles without the same problem!
I thought it had been caused by the door being too tight on the seal and needed adjustment but he wouldn't have it. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.

Post #237084 Thu Sep 17 2009 11:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Misery

United Kingdom 

I had this problem as well and my dealer said the same thing. Went to another dealer and he said no problem I will say it is split. Keep on trying but it's not all bad the part is only £24.00, I know that is not the point. Twisted Evil

Did you have to pay for the wheel settings as well mine charged me £99.00 and said I must have hit a bump in the road. Twisted Evil me I thought i was supposed to be able to drive over mountains.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Post #237088 Thu Sep 17 2009 12:04pm
islider

ChrisP

I'd either go back to the same Dealer, and chew his ears off. I'd just embaress him in the Service Dept, for something like this.
If he's nearest Dealer and you want to use them in the future, fair enough. But don't expect good service fom them.

Mis,

don't start me on four wheel alignment, got it done for nothing. Only after they had kerbed one of my wheels, and I argued they had put it out of alignment. Service Manager's answer, a little kerbing like that won't affect alignment. My answer - you kerbed it, repair the wheel, and realign whole car. I had previously paid £160 for 4 wheel alignment.
As for meant to go over mountains - concrete kerbs (not kerbing), just bumping up and down them will knock out the alignment. Soft ground(Off Road) will have 'give' in it.
LR should either change they're marketing 'Go Anywhere - Except up Kerbs'. Or update their book of excuses with ones that don't contradict they're marketing so much.

And whilst I'm at it, have to call my Dealer to book mine in for the CD Player Error, again. Keeps going wrong for last 18 months. Twisted Evil

Post #237091 Thu Sep 17 2009 12:23pm
ChrisP

Hi Misery,
I had a high speed shimmy on the steering wheel from new,reported it to the salesman when he rang after a couple of days to ask if everything was OK.
I put up with it until I had to take the car in for something else(wobbly drivers seat) a few months later and they claimed they had no record of the conversation with the salesman.
The LR techs said the wheels needed balancing and that I had to have it done at Quick Fit which I did,still the same.
Just got fed up trying and both the front tyres just got worse and worse,took the car in earlier this week because the brake pad warning light came on and asked them to check the tyres for legality as the NS was almost down to the wire across about 2 inches on the inside edge,picked car up brake pads replaced but claimed both tyres were still legal so I went around to Quick Fit who disagreed and had 4 new Pirellis fitted BUT they couldn't do the 4 wheel tracking so back in dealer today to have the alignement checked and hopefully reset.
My car is on a service contract including tyres so it's not costing me for the tyres and alignement but still pee's me off that they (LR)don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in sorting me out with a problem which was evident and reported on delivery.
I think my main gripe is that because I pay monthly for the servicing they don't treat me the same as a customer who does PAYG,can't get a loan car or a lift home so every time I take it in means me coming home on the train and visa versa,made worse by the fact that even when I tell them what the problem is when I book it in they nearly always have to order the parts once they've looked at it which means two trips instead of one. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.

Post #237092 Thu Sep 17 2009 12:30pm
islider

Chrisp

no loan car cos you have a service contract, shouldn't matter the dealer must still charge back to contract provider if not LR. Try stamping your feet.

I had the Steering Shimmy, told to rebalance the wheels by LRA. He didn't bother to tell me that it has to be Road Force Variation wheel balancing.
So two trips and luckily wheel place only charged the difference between RFV and what I had paid originally.

There is a TSB on here for steering shimmy, and I got told the famous 'characteristic'. Still think it's a fault. It's this sort of fobbing off, that put's me off getting another land rover. They're lucky I love the car so much I still would.

After taking Service Manager for an hour's test drive and half hour Censored in my car. Figured if you're not going to take complaints seriously then I'll take up your time complaining.
Best part was my complaint was polite and constructive, at time of getting to service dept that day another 'happy customer' was screaming at the top of his voice and swearing like a navvie in reception and the car park for twenty minutes.

Post #237096 Thu Sep 17 2009 12:43pm
ChrisP

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'm hoping the shimmy wheel problem is sorted,I'll know in about an hour.I'll let you know if they try to bill me!!!
Main problem at present is this split rubber seal on the door,would be nice if anyone else has had any joy getting the same problem resolved under warranty? MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.

Post #237123 Thu Sep 17 2009 3:28pm
islider

Good Luck with the shimmy, hope they don't tell you it's within tolerance like they did with me.

Have you spoken to Land Rover Customer Services about the door seal?

I'd speak to them and tell them you're not happy with the Dealers appraisal and that you want it replacd under warranty.

Or do the same with the Supplying Dealer, if they're not too far away. If they want your repeat business, they may be more obliging.

Post #237124 Thu Sep 17 2009 3:35pm
ChrisP

Got my car back but need to check it at motorway speeds to access if it is better.
Strangely the wheel with the worst tyre wear on the inside edge is reported as within tolerance whereas the other side was out.
I'll try and get the door seal done at next service at the supplying dealer if not I'll certainly take it up with CS. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.

Post #237144 Thu Sep 17 2009 6:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1