RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > "Water in fuel" error message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Muffd/Graham hi - I'm out in the sticks north of Glasgow not far from Aberfoyle. I have used Morrison's Stirling Land Rover for years after Gaulds in the City was sold to Arnorld Clark and became a Vauxhall dealership. They have been excellent (and being a family business are probably more aware of the need to look after the customer than the big multiple outlets).
Unfortunately for them they could not match the deal that Kam100/Charles Hurst Park Royal put to to gether for me so my current car came from west London and had it's last service there in October as I was in London when the service was due. Look forward to seeing you around sometime. I think I'm the only member in the Glasgow area with an RRSPort.co.uk sticker in the rear window so that's how you'll recognise my Stornoway TDv8 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #211377 Fri Feb 13 2009 10:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thanks Tim

I also shopped around before buying and I tried Shields and Pentland as I knew exactly the spec I wanted. I also had a Merc to trade and couldn't get the deal I wanted. I ended up buying - by accident and good fortune - from Bentley Glasgow in Hamilton who had a couple of 3 months old and over spec'd HSEs and one was exactly what I was after. I saved over £7k on list at the time (late 07) and they gave me a reasonable trade for the Merc.

The water in fuel message came on again this morning for 2 or 3 mins (twice) when reversing out the drive so off to get the filter changed.

Also, where can I get a forum sticker?

Regards

Graham If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #211403 Fri Feb 13 2009 11:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Graham you can buy them from the forum shop here http://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/index.php?act...roductId=3

However if you want to make a donation to the forums......................... Wink You have a PM! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #211421 Fri Feb 13 2009 1:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muffd

A donation on its way!
G If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #211426 Fri Feb 13 2009 2:29pm
muffd

update on Water in Fuel error message

Changed the fuel filter yesterday. The sensor that that detects water was cracked (plastic housing). There was a couple of small bubbles of water in the filter but very minor.

Have replaced the filter but have had to order the sensor.

Damn Water in Fuel Error still being displayed so I hope this disappears when the new sensor is fitted on Monday.

Graham If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Post #211695 Sat Feb 14 2009 11:56pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

Filled up the tank at BP station, Shepherds Hill, Reading with Diesel. Drove a couple of miles and engine management light came on - no other warnings.

Vehicle is running ok. LR Assist came out and diagnosed "Overspeed Warning" - what a prat - this is a driver setting that I have put it, he then said his diagnostic tool said it was a fuelling problem (quite how the tool did this is a mystery as he did not connect or plug anything in and did not have any form of instrument in his hand - perhaps it is a psychic connection and I didn't spot his ouji board). I suspect he was going on the information that I told him I had just left the fuel station.

Landrover say its alright to continue driving and its going into the dealers on Thursday Sad

Martin 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #211893 Mon Feb 16 2009 11:01am
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Sorry for jumping on an old forum, but how easy is the diesel filter to change?

Is there any risk of getting air into the system when doing this or is this not a problem?

Am I right in assuming that if there is any water in the diesel system, it will all be collected in the old filter and removed when changed? (depending obviously on how much)

Finally, it is just an internal element change or is it like an oil filter ie, a complete sealed unit?

Trying to figure out if to do it myself Confused

Post #252151 Wed Jan 27 2010 2:48pm
muffd

Hi Tornado
Bobby from Malaysia posted a solution that will answer your query on page 1 of this thread.
As coincidence would happen, my water in fuel message came on this morning when I was collecting the car from the dealers after the brake recall this morning. So, I got them to change the filter (£76 inc labour) - and the warning is still on. They are replacing the top sensor under warranty next week. I wonder if the recent frost and cold has anything to do with this, ie condensation in the fuel system???
Cheers
Muff If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Post #252155 Wed Jan 27 2010 2:54pm
tornado34

Cheers Muff

Thought the instructions from Bobby were just to drain water or fix the sensor, didn't realise it was to change filter. I have access to a car lift, so shouldn't be too difficult.

Would be good if anyone knows answers to the rest, ie, type of element / filter housing and if getting air in the system matters.

Also, do I need to clamp off the fuel lines to save the tank from draining under syphon or is it held back by the pump being switched off when the engine isn't running?

This is either going to be the best £76 saved or the worst cost saving idea I've ever had Razz

Post #252157 Wed Jan 27 2010 3:13pm
tornado34

OK, getting to the bottom of this. Appears there are two different diesel filters, one for 2.7 and one for 3.0 by the look of it.

Bobby shows what looks like the 3.0 in his instruction, is this correct? Does anyone know how easy to change and where the 2.7 is located?

Click image to enlarge

3.0?

Click image to enlarge

2.7?

Fingers crossed.. Neutral

Sorry for image sizes, kind of went a bit wrong, but you get the idea Embarassed

Post #252170 Wed Jan 27 2010 3:53pm
tornado34

Answering my own posts now!

I saw over on Disco3 some really good instructions and photo's for changing the diesel filter - likes OK to do actually.

I will have a go and report back - watch this space...... Confused Assume TDV6 in Disco is same as RRS.

Post #252206 Wed Jan 27 2010 5:15pm
tony2

Hi all.
Filled up with diesel at well known supermarket on Sunday then drove about 80 miles.
It was very cold and frosty overnight and when turned on ignition "Water in Fuel" came up on display. (Panic) Shocked
Rang dealer who has done all servicing which is 85 miles away, and they told me not to worry.
"It's ok to drive the car as normal" and have booked me in for a week on Tuesday to look at it.
I pointed out that if there is water in the fuel could it not damage the injection system to which they replied
"We have had a few of these and all it probably needs is a fuel filter change".
I then reminded them that they serviced it at the begining of December with 19400 miles on and I have only covered 800 miles since they should have changed the fuel filter.
I just hope this doesn't lead to more expensive problems which would not be covered by warranty.
If the situation gets worse, will I get an audible warning along with the message, or the message staying on the display?
At present I only get a message when switching on and turning off the ignition.
Thanks Guys........TC. Enjoying life and spending the kids inheritence

Post #259988 Thu Mar 18 2010 2:54am
muffd

I know this topic has been going a while and I contributed to several posts last year.

However, I have had the dreaded 'water in fuel' error message again. This is the third time in the last couple of years. The message appeared when the outside temperature went to +9 degrees. It had been -10 24 hours before so I suspected condensation in the fuel filter.

I have just replaced the filter this morning. No evidence of any water in the fuel and I cleaned the sensor. Guess what? It is still showing the 'water in fuel' message on the dash. Damn!

Any ideas guys?

Or is a trip to the stealers?

Post #283340 Sat Dec 18 2010 1:15pm
muffd

I thought I would update this thread as I have been to the dealers.

My car was showing 'WATER IN FUEL' error message. It has done this 3 or 4 times in my ownership. There is no water in the fuel and I have replaced 4 fuel filters needlessly over the last couple of years.

The Fault code that showed was P2269-68. The dealer checked wiring feeds at filter housing. All OK. They replaced the filter housing and cleared the fault codes. All now seems OK. However, they did this in January under warranty but charged me for a filter then. I reminded the dealer that the faulty filter housing was replaced only 10 months ago as they wanted to charge me £150 this afternoon. After a bit of debate, LR were called and they agreed to contribute 33% to the cost. So, it seems warranty parts that are replaced FOC are not covered by any guarantee.

So, if you get a water in fuel message and you are certain there is no contamination, the cure is a new filter housing and a reset of the fault code.

Post #283915 Thu Dec 23 2010 7:34pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

@ tornado - the filter diagram referred by muffd is for the MY07 model onwards. Yours is a MY06, so please refer to this.

@muffd - Possible causes of Fault code P226900 (Water in Fuel Condition) are:

* Water in fuel condition
* Water in fuel sensor circuit short circuit to ground
* Water in fuel sensor fault

Recommended action to be taken:

1. Drain the water from the fuel filter. Clear the DTC and retest.
2. If the DTC resets, check the sensor circuit. Refer to the electrical guides.
3. If no fault is found in the circuits, install a new sensor.

Hope the above helps. Smile Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #284020 Fri Dec 24 2010 9:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>