RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Nominating somebody to take speeding points
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Nominating somebody to take speeding points

Just listened to a very interesting item on R4 about people nominating others to take motoring offence points.
There is a huge police clampdown on this after a case in the NW yesterday when somebody was prosecuted for obstructing the police when he was found guilty of taking the points for 176 people. Police it transpires will now ask you for your insurance papers as a way of proving that the person nominated was insured to drive the car.
Of course the owner and the nominated driver can then be prosecuted and disqualified from drive for having no insurance 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #189642 Thu Sep 25 2008 12:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Tim,
We had a case in Sheffield last week,a guy got a "friend" to say he was driving and offered him cash to take the points,now for some reason he was only cautioned and didn't get any points so the owner didn't pay up,the friend then grassed him up resulting in a custodial sentence for Perverting the Course of Justice.
My wife works in court and apparently they now have sophisticated methods to prevent false nominations of driver and are clamping down. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #189643 Thu Sep 25 2008 12:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bt11

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Easily done chaps... All you need is a “friend” who has a non-UK driver’s licence... Your "friend" says he was driving your vehicle at the time, you pay the fine but he get no points as he has a non uk driving licence..

Of course, i would never condone this: wink: Range Rover Sport TDV8 OVERFINCH ECU remap/tuned, 22" Satin Black Tigers, Black/Black, sideskirts, tints, clear ind, 09 upgrades +++

Plus others......

Post #189644 Thu Sep 25 2008 12:46pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

It the points taker has his/her insurance policy that allows them to drive other peoples cars TPTF, then the police won't have a leg to stand on when it comes to the driving with out insurance claim Confused

Post #189645 Thu Sep 25 2008 12:49pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

but wouldn't the "said friend" have to pass a UK driving test if they was in the UK for more than a year?

I'm sure I ready hear this on Police Camera Action type program

Still if he's visting on his holidays etc etc

Post #189646 Thu Sep 25 2008 12:52pm
bt11

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Not the case Npinks... and i quote from the gov website

"Residents

If you have a valid community licence(EU), this will authorise you to drive in GB for the period set out below. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British one at any time.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:
Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):

* until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period" Range Rover Sport TDV8 OVERFINCH ECU remap/tuned, 22" Satin Black Tigers, Black/Black, sideskirts, tints, clear ind, 09 upgrades +++

Plus others......

Post #189648 Thu Sep 25 2008 1:08pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I suppose the chap might have come from out side the EU on Police camera action Thumbs Up

Post #189663 Thu Sep 25 2008 4:45pm
Tim in Scotland

bt11 wrote:
Easily done chaps... All you need is a “friend” who has a non-UK driver’s licence... Your "friend" says he was driving your vehicle at the time, you pay the fine but he get no points as he has a non uk driving licence.. Of course, i would never condone this: wink:

Not now................................ since 2-3 weeks ago the whole of the EU have gone onto one police data base so if you get done for speeding in one EU country or in this country on a foreign licence then the justice system in the country where the licence was obtained will prosecute you. You will also find parking tickets and speed camera infringements will now follow you home if they are not on the spot fines in the country where you committed the offence. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #189664 Thu Sep 25 2008 4:49pm
Olduser2

I'm not too sure about the points on the licence, but can confirm that the parking tickets do follow you home to France, Monaco and Italy.

Post #189671 Thu Sep 25 2008 5:37pm
canaryman

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Cairns Blue

A foreign country cannot put points on a UK licence that is held in another country at the moment. I have UK licence. I live in Germany and Germany cannot put points on my licence.

They can fine me.

They can ban me.

They set up a "points account" at their equivalent of the DVLA and keep an eye on them there.

If I accrue enough to be banned then I am banned but they cannot stop me driving in the UK and they cannot print anything on my licence so if the UK coppers check it, it comes out as clean in the UK.

This is because I live in Germany.

If I held a German licence and live in Germany, the UK police cannot put points on my licence but it can ban me, fine me.

If you name a person with a foreign licence then the police get a little hot under the collar and that person will have to prove he was in the country at the time the offence happened.

It is dodgy ground to name someone else, imo. Shocked

Post #189672 Thu Sep 25 2008 5:41pm
Tim in Scotland

I think you need to check up Steve - this is a very new system only recently introduced - you won't get Germany points on your UK licence, you will get UK points as the Germans just hand over all the details to the UK police to prosecute you since the beginning of September 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #189675 Thu Sep 25 2008 7:03pm
peacemf

so , what you are saying is that i cant drive "in an urgent" manner?

ive got a UK plastic card but driving around in the Czech Republic

SO far no fines or stops (touch wood!)

and these guys are crazy, police are happy to step ONTO the motorway to flag you down!

i.e. im doing say for EXAMPLE 80mph, a policeman steps onto the MIDDLE OF THE MOTORWAY to tell me to STOP about 100yards infront!

czech drivers really floor it! but not as much as the germans!

Post #189679 Thu Sep 25 2008 8:06pm
Tim in Scotland

Czech republic - is it in the EU? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #189683 Thu Sep 25 2008 9:27pm
peacemf

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Czech republic - is it in the EU?

yep

so is romania, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia

Post #189685 Thu Sep 25 2008 9:46pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

B Censored y spoil sports Rolling Eyes L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #189690 Thu Sep 25 2008 11:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>