RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 4x4 Discussion on Radio 2 at the moment...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 
4x4 Discussion on Radio 2 at the moment...

If you can listen to the radio at the moment, Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 is about to have a discussion around 4x4s... expect the usual Robin Sunflower types..... 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5738 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:11pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

shmoogle - did you listen and if so was it a dig at us? Confused 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5762 Thu Nov 24 2005 3:29pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I listened too it - complete load of TOSH

I also spent 3 minutes typing in a reply on the forum - went to add something hit the wrong key and hey presto all text wiped clean - Crying or Very sad

But here goes again :-

For a start off they claim the 4x4 has no purpose unless half way up a mountain? Too big/heavy/uneconomical/not eco friendly.... etc

Then a chap phones in and blathers on about a poor girl who was knocked down by one ( its bad whatever the car ). He said he was a witness to a women driving a 4x4 near a school ( she wasnt on the school run ) and was reversing out of a spot when the child ran behind her. Now is that the fault of the 4x4 ? Ok its big and heavy so the girl may have been better of if she'd been hit by a SMART car? I dont know. But if they want to talk about weight.................

New Range Rover Supercharged 2632kg
My own Sport 2572kg
Disco 3 2419kg

A Chrysler Grand Voyager weighs 2150kg

A top spec Mercedes S65AMG weighs 2220kg

And if you drive round London ( which they refered to a lot ) for heavens sake you see as many Rolls Royces at 2485kg and even more Bentley's at 2410kg for the GT and a whacking 2655kg for the Anarge

Ban the Maybach they weigh between 2735kg - 2855kg

Now let me see Confused .... what do all these do to the gallon & what would happen if one was to reverse over you Shocked

The debate is endless

They say in defence that Trucks , VANS, Buses,Trains etc all have a purpose, so are exempt? How is this... a truck -bus -train can offload its goods/passengers and seek a smaller method of transport for the final leg of their journey. So get them out of the city as well !

It just doesnt work/stack up.

For ***k sake get real.

What they really want is for LR to die & mass unemployment for all those who work there and the associated peripheral workers.
Add to this what will we all buy instead when they ban the 4x4 Shocked

Lets all buy an Old Routemaster London Bus - because there ok !!!!!!!!!!! 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5765 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:06pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yes, it didn't really amount to much more that the usual rubbishing of 4x4s. The whole thing was defended by a woman who ran some anti-4x4 establishment - Alliance Against Urban 4x4s, I think (put me in mind of the old People's Front of Judea/Judean People's Front thing from Monty Python, esp as Jeremy Vine kept calling it the wrong thing). This is the organisation who put these fake parking tickets on your windscreen "advising" of your poor choice of car.

Basically she was saying 4x4s are bad because if you get hit by one you will die, the world will come to an end because of emissions/fuel usage etc, all the usual stuff. She was planning to lobby govt over increasing the amount of tax that 4x4 owners should pay, increasing the CC for 4x4 drivers in the centre of London, banning them in other urban areas etc. She was also trying to get across the point that a 4x4 is completely unsuitable for travelling around in cities. A point that she never really supported with anything in my view. OK, so you might agree that her points re safety/environmental aspects were at least semi-supportable but apparently this also makes them unusable in urban areas. I've driven through plenty of urban areas in mine thanks and I didn't have a problem. Rolling Eyes

Example of her lack of grasp of the whole thing was when she was expounding on how dangerous they are for other road users. In her world, it seems that all crashes are caused by 4x4s and that most 4x4 drivers choose to drive into Minis, thus wiping out their passengers. JV mentioned that maybe people drive 4x4s because the feel they protect their kids whilst transporting them around for this very reason? Her answer? Well, if everyone drove small cars then all the accidents would be small-scale and your kids would be fine.... she herself rides a pushbike - 10/10 for road safety there then.

All credit for standing up on the radio to state your case, but I can't see how she's done much to evangelise her cause by being on that show today. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5767 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:11pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

It is all crazy talk and I was thinking today when I was in the car.

A Range Rover of any denomination is built in BRITAIN by UK workers and using many parts that come from other UK companies made by UK Workers. Should we not be supporting UK business?

Now, they say we should all go and buy foreign small boring cheaper to run Eddy-Punch-clock type cars instead as they are safer and more economical etc, but a lot of them are shipped into the UK by truck, boat, plane, you name it, the transport costs of getting some of these cars to our shores surely outweighs the 4x4 fuel consumption.

I bet Tim could tell us how much fuel a container ship consumes getting from Japan/Korea to the UK. They don't mention THAT type of Polution do they?

why? Because they are simple jealous people, they can't afford one so they bitch at people who have, this country is turning communist!

Why don't they complain about the number of estate cars on the road? They take up the same amount of road space as a 4x4 and cause the same amount of congestion. Why don't they complain about supercars like Ferraris, Porsche etc etc, they are not very economical either...will we ban those?

When ARE they going to see that the people who buy these cars, the people with the money, are the people keeping this country going!

I despair, this place has gone to the dogs, last one to leave, switch the lights off.. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5768 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:19pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
4x4 drivers choose to drive into Minis, thus wiping out their passengers

My other car is a mini!

Quote:
Her answer? Well, if everyone drove small cars then all the accidents would be small-scale

Let's all drive large cars and we will just bounce off eachother!

Is there a copy of this broadcast on the web? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5769 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:21pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

yes, you can always go back and listen again, you need Realplayer though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/index.shtml?logo L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5770 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:23pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Here's one for our Disco friends.

One smart car = 2 people. One Disco 3 = 7 people. How many Smart cars do you need to carry the same amount as a Disco 3? If my maths is correct the answer is 4, times that by the Smart cars footrint and emissions and what is the answer? I'm sure the Disco wins! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5771 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:24pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

shmoogle wrote:
- Alliance Against Urban 4x4s, I think (put me in mind of the old People's Front of Judea/Judean People's Front thing from Monty Python, esp as Jeremy Vine kept calling it the wrong thing). This is the organisation who put these fake parking tickets on your windscreen "advising" of your poor choice of car.

Yeah..... and what did the 4x4 ever do for us Question

1.There big & comfy
2.There big & safe
3.Get 5 adults in legally plus 6 dogs 3 cats and a handful of fish.
4.You can see more
5.Truck hits Smart car Crying or Very sad Truck hits 4x4 Crying or Very sad choose the one your in.
6.You can look down on Tony Blair as you pass by him in his chauffeur driven limo
7.You can drive up a mountain
8.Wade through a river
9.Transport the POPE
10. and....................................... 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Last edited by MDP on Thu Nov 24 2005 4:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5776 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:39pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Quote:
10. and.......................................

You don't look like a tosser!!! Laughing 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5777 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:41pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I forgot - there is something good about a Fart car - it's perfect to put on my yacht when I'm burning fuel at 2mpg - I cann't get my RRS onboard! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5779 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:43pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

OK, Tim's 2p about containerships that carry 10000 x 20 foot containers at a time. Per 24 hours at full speed for the latest ships burn 460 TONNES of heavy oil of which it is reckonned that 60 tonnes comes back out of the funnel every day as particulate and sulphuric acid. Now the passage from Tokyo to Southampton takes 22 days and the company I work for has 9 ships a week on the service between UK and Japan................................. all exactly the same.
And you sure as hell would not want your kiddies to be knocked down by one as they weigh in at some 140,000tonnes fully loaded and would pretty well wipe out a whole street if they hit something at speed - 140000t moving at 30mph means a lot of momentum!
Also think what happens when just one of those ships arrives in port and all those containers get unloaded and another lot get loaded........ all the trucks and trains needed to carry them, and do you know where most of that cargo is going? Well in the UK most of it is going to Honda, Toyota and Sony and the likes to build more poluters. We worry about FOODMILES what about "Japanese" CAR miles just to build them! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Nov 24 2005 8:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5806 Thu Nov 24 2005 6:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robin Sunpower

United Kingdom 

This is great stuff....keep it coming, please Very Happy

Post #5807 Thu Nov 24 2005 6:19pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Do you wear organic footwear?

Post #5813 Thu Nov 24 2005 7:29pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

R4 2100/ 24th - how to stop ships polluting the atmosphere............ all the worlds shipping put together produces as much Sulphurdioxide and Nox as the whole of the USA....................... in a year 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5818 Thu Nov 24 2005 10:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>