RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Discs and pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver
Discs and pads

Bought the RRS S/C in Oct 08 used, since then done about 5000 miles maybe?

Recently noticed squeaking brakes, and LR battersea have told me this is down to the front discs and pads being about 90% worn, and so need replacing at roughly £440 i think

Shouldnt I be getting some kind of warning light if my pads/discs are this low? And seeing as I have zero technical skills, is there anywhere that is cheaper than £440, or is that actually not a bad price?

Post #176061 Tue Jul 08 2008 5:49pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

I know you claim to have zero technical knowledge but changing the discs and pads should be a straight forward job.

First of all dealers seem to like to change the discs when often there is nothing wrong with them.

Pads is a matter of removing the wheels and pulling the pins off the top of the calipers (for Brembos)

Providing you purchase genuine Landrover parts you should be able to get most garages to fit them pretty quickly (while you wait) and cheaply.

I have not done my RRS yet but have had to do the rest of my "fleet" at various times and a change of pads is less than an hour. Changing the discs is slightly longer as you have to un-bolt the calipers and if I remember correctly LandRover choose to use Torx bolts which not everyone has a driver for in their toolbox.

I don't know about the S/C but my RRS has pad wear sensors that should alarm on the information screen once worn.

If I didn't have my other car in bits on the drive I would almost be tempted to say bring it over.

Pads - www.brakesint.co.uk - Genuine Brembo Pads: £71.25 +vat - Sensor wires set: £12.26 +vat - Non-genuine vented discs - £32.94 +vat (god - I almost sound like someone from www.disco3.co.uk) 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #176062 Tue Jul 08 2008 6:07pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You get the squeal then the light IME - DIY is possible and a third of LR price - doubt discs are really needed....

Post #176076 Tue Jul 08 2008 8:39pm
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

There is a pad wear sensor on 1 front pad and 1 rear pad only. The other three pads on each axle can wear right down to the metal and you won“t get a warning light.

I have Brembos on the front of both our RRS and D3, dead easy and quick to change the pads, knock out the two pins with a small hammer and punch, remove the spring that was under the pins, pull out the pads, retract the pistons on one side, fit new pad, retract pistons on opposite side and fit second pad (swap the sensor to the new pads if you haven“t had the warning light, fit new sensor cable if you have). Fit the pins with the flat spring underneath and tap the pins into place with the punch.

Almost quicker to do than to explain.

As they are critical safety bits and if you have zero mechanical knowledge then it may be better to watch them changed the first time but it really is straightforward, if you can arrange to jack both front wheels and put the car on stands then you can compare the untouched side when you come to reassemble.

Discs normally last two sets of pads, how many miles has she covered? Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #176088 Tue Jul 08 2008 10:18pm
bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

shes on about 28k miles - only had it for 6k miles, waiting to speak to the dealer tomorrow to ascertain if these are original discs etc

Post #176094 Tue Jul 08 2008 10:44pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

My SC discs were changed at 20k FYI. 2022 P440e AB

Post #176146 Wed Jul 09 2008 10:49am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

bermyandy wrote:
shes on about 28k miles - only had it for 6k miles, waiting to speak to the dealer tomorrow to ascertain if these are original discs etc

Hmm so either these are all original or else she's got through two sets of pads and possibly two sets of discs, but then if she had approx 16-20k out of the first discs and pads she would have only done 8-10k on the second...

Doesn't sound quite right so I'd guess those are original discs and possibly 2nd set of pads, in which case you may well be due discs and pads together now.

Front discs are a doddle to change but do need 4 VERY tight bolts removing and replacing to take the calipers off (2 bolts per side).

I'd find it hard to justify more than 1hr labour + the parts (pads are £100 + vat per set) so find out the parts prices and cost the job accordingly. Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #176156 Wed Jul 09 2008 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1