Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > steering shimmer 2007
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

autolines

2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 SE Cairns Blue
steering shimmer 2007

Hi all.
would like to tap anybody for the old steering shimmer issue. I realise there is plenty of old post relating to this but I was wondering if anybody had finally found a cure.
I have the dreaded shimmer at 30mph when hovering the throtle & again at about 50mph when doing the same. I did mention it to Bill the tech wiz at Hillendales when I visited with the other dreaded steering knock which he fixed no problem, but Bill said at the time there was an issue with a shimmer but didnt know the cure for it. Could do with getting rid of it realy as its not good on a 45K car. I was recently told about a sand based product called equiliser I think, this is put inside the tyres of big commercials and it spins inside to balance the tyre on the hub, its expensive & I am told very good. anyhow any possitive feedback would be appreciated.
Confused

Post #81600 Thu Feb 08 2007 8:37pm
Zipperman19

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Umm...There isn't much which can be done from Land Rover about the steering shimmy. On my car it's very sporatic and usually happens when the tires are cold.

You could try going to a really good tire shop and having the wheels and tires all rebalanced on a "Hunter Road Force" machine. This helped my car a little bit, but its still not 100% Every time I bring my car to the dealer, it magically "can not be duplicated at this time." You also may have a tire or wheel which is slightly out of round. If I were you I would try to get them all rebalanced properly and then go from there.

Zipperman19

Post #82021 Fri Feb 09 2007 7:12pm
autolines

many thanks for that, i think you are right as it was something I was also considering doing, it does seem to be a strange set up though, LR seem to pass it off as part of the owning a RRS experience.

Post #82025 Fri Feb 09 2007 7:46pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Howdy guys, I have this problem and I can certainly demonstrate it to LR and have. The guys at my dealership have just replaced my front tyres and rims which helped a fair bit....problem is I know it will come back. This problem has been a significant one for LR, the big daddy Rangies have had the same problem. Mine is most noticeable around 92km/h and just a general annoyance above 100km/h.

I think it is on LR's list, but not sure they have an answer to completely cure it. Rolling Eyes RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #83772 Fri Feb 16 2007 2:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
autolines

Hi there,
just read your last post & thought id update mine. I went to a local very specialsed alloy wheel man who has a very good name. I mailed him for advise first & he came back to me right away with some answers. I went in Monday gone & he removed all 4 wheels, de-flated them, fit hign speed new valves & stems, re-inflated them with nitrogen (to stop pressure increase) then de-stoned & balanced to within 1 gramm each wheel. we re-fit & went for a spin, i do think there is a slight improvement but we both agreed its still there. however this guy was very clued up & he suggested that as i noticed the shimmy just prior to gear change (he spotted it was at about 18000 revs) i should try the manual shift 3rd gear & hold it there which highlights the problem, not good once its in your head but good when i next go to Hillendales for a service as I will now be able to clearly show then the problem. The alloy man also made a new suggestion to add to the pot, he claimed to have had something like this before & it turned out to be the propshafts (both of them) needed blancing, now after he suggested it which was due to the shimmy being there at most gear shifts at the 1800revs mark it seems to make sense. problem is if LR arn't accepting the issue they are hardly going to send 2 props away to be balanced. i dont mind taking my vehicle in somewhere & having this done but i wouldnt know where to go & have it done.

Post #84134 Fri Feb 16 2007 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1