RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Police Knocking on my door!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

kam100

United Kingdom 
Police Knocking on my door!

Awoke this morning (well glad they did wake me as i was a tad late!)
to a ringing on the doorbell, by the time i had got up, and had run across the house, there was a yellow fluorescent jacket walking away from my door.

Ran to the window and saw it was a Police officer walking away and getting into a police MPV, immediately i thought, damn they have caught me speeding or something, but after realising how silly an idea that was, and realising they wouldn't actually trace you back to your house to nick you, i began to wonder what was up (being still half asleep).

On opening the front door and checking the porch, there was a card dropped in the box saying: attempted burglary between night of 6th Dec-7th Dec, did you see anything? which is a first for our estate i can tell you.
Slightly worries me as i thought our neighbourhood was relatively safe and secure as the Police patrol it all night and there have been very few incidents since 1994 when the houses were built.

More worried as i know cars are prone to get nicked with keys as that has happened in our neighbourhood quite a bit in recent years, but never anywhere so close.

Im hoping its just kids trying to raise some cash before christmas, but im now wondering whether setting the alarm for the ground floor may be a good idea. I actually got in about 1am last night, and it was all quiet and there didn't seem to be anything amiss or any unusual cars/people hanging around.

Hate it that they didn't specify the address and house to which it happened, just that its on my road!?

There are a lot of top end cars on our estate, countless Bmw/Mercs and a few porsche Cayennes and X5's, so i don't think my house would stick out anymore then anyone elses, but im starting to wonder whether extra security should be invested in.

Last edited by kam100 on Wed Dec 07 2005 1:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7231 Wed Dec 07 2005 1:01pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Re: Police Knocking on my door!

kam100 wrote:

..... there have been very few incidents since 1994 when i was built.

I thought you looked older than 11 years old Kam! Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #7232 Wed Dec 07 2005 1:09pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

haha! well spotted..

thanks for pointing that out..

Edited..

Post #7233 Wed Dec 07 2005 1:11pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

This did actually happen to me a few years back. i was fortunate however & got broken into by a bunch of twits. They took the keys, then obviously hearing me get up, ran off. Would have been far easier to take the car & drive off as it was sat on the drive at the time. Realising what had happen I used the other set of keys and went round a friends house.

Anyway the twits came back 2 days later & were caught trying to break into the garage at about 10pm on a summer evening to steal the car. As if I wouldn't have had the keys & ignition reprogrammed in 2 days. Rolling Eyes HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #7235 Wed Dec 07 2005 1:27pm
RRUK

My golden rules for Home security.

Car keys are kept safe and out of sight , not anywhere near the front door, never haging on a hook like some people do... Shocked nothing of value in sight of the front door where it can be grabbed by a fishing rod through the letter box.

We also have a curtain over the front door so if they manage to look through the two sprung flaps all they see is curtain liner, and it's heavy so they can't move it easily.

I have 2 PIR lights on the front of the house/garage that lights them up like a christmas tree, the garage doors are automatic and have no handles or anything someone can get purchase on to wrench it open, plus the electric motor self locks the door. I also have PIR lights on every side of the house so it's impossible to approach without setting them off. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #7245 Wed Dec 07 2005 3:32pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

And if all else fails, get one of these to defend your property with.

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7248 Wed Dec 07 2005 3:37pm
RRUK

got 2 of those...

PLus a few of these..

L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #7255 Wed Dec 07 2005 3:58pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

All entry points to our house, have PIR lighting back and front, with a large floodlight which lights up the entire drive when even a cat steps foot across it.

Garage doors are normal Censored ones, but ones spring is broken so is impossible to lift anyway, and the other we have taken the handle off of, so no way to wrangle it open really, Even if they do somehow unlock the mechanism. Interior door is double locked and would make a lot of noise opening anyway..

Rear doors, conservatory, even though open plan to rest of living area, there are triple locks on all doors, and if they somehow manage to get through the conservatory, they would have to step across a whole heap of my baby nephews toys, which make loud and annoying noises if you tread on them (which we do all the time!) and i mean they are everywhere!
Another set of doors into main area of house, one which can't be opened from conservatory once shut and the other doors have triple locks on them.

Front door is also double doors one through porch then next through main door, both triple locked and now i will be applying the downstairs alarm which has a large number of motion detectors on the ground level. No way of fishing anything through the letterbox, as there is nothing there to fish!? if they still manage to get into the house undetected and without making a noise and without setting the alarm off. Then panic alarms dotted across the house, plus an unspecified number of air weapoans, although unlikely to be lethal, would hurt a lot i reckon.. cars are regularly boxed in overnight/garaged, so they would need more then one set of keys, so would have to hunt around..

Tell you what, i wouldn't like to try doing this..let alone a stupid prat who doesn't even know the layout of the house..
Plus Police patrol in circles around neighbourhood overnight and the car passes our house once every 30 mins or so..

Feel better about all this already..

Post #7256 Wed Dec 07 2005 4:18pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Kam, do you live in a house or a prison? I know that an Englishman's home is his castle but your's sounds more like a fortress!

I never leave the keys in the open even inside the house (even for my Defender which is arguably more likely to be a target of thieves than my Sport in these parts as there are so many Defenders round here and very very few Sports). Anyway my letterbox is is on the outer door of my porch and there is an inner door that they would have to also break through to get in. The best place to keep them.... under the matress of the bed you are sleeping in if you take security really seriously. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Dec 07 2005 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7281 Wed Dec 07 2005 7:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

Haha.. no its a regular house, but you could say we are a bit paranoid..
Triple locks came standard when we replaced all the doors on the ground level and just happens that we extended back and front adding another layer of area to the house with another set of locked doors..giving it the double protection which should thwart most attempts unless they are pros with the right bits of kit..

We had an experience back in the early 90's in our old house, when we came home and there were a couple of lads in our house attempting to remove our possessions, obviously they crapped their load when my dad went running in shouting.. they scarpered over the back fence with one cutting his leg as he went.

We have always been a bit safety and security consious ever since specially when it comes to our cars and the keys etc,

My brother in law had his front window smashed and they legged it off with his V6 4 Motion keys.. so we aren't strangers to this kind of burglary unfortunately.

Post #7286 Wed Dec 07 2005 7:57pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Where I go on holiday out on the West Coast of Scotland the door locks of the cottage we rent don't work and haven't for years! Even when half the world desends on the island for the World Wave Windsurfing competition there are no problems - once you are there, there is only one ferry a day off so there's no point in crims doing their thing! When the championship first started Strathclyde Police were worried about druggies and general ne'er do wells going there as hangers on and spectators, so they increased the island police force by 100% to 2 bobbies, they found they had more trouble from the locals than the visitors and in the 10 years since then have never bothered to increase their presence during the Wave Classic week, the competitors are all world class athletes and appear to party on low alcohol drinks or fruit juice........ and as for drugs, not a hope in hell!
It's a great place - provided your car doesn't go off the island you pay no RFT and MOT's are not required........... mind you when I was there in October diesel was £3 a litre so the mountain bikes got a lot of use when we weren't sailing! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #7288 Wed Dec 07 2005 8:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1