RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Word of Warning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>

Andy

United Kingdom 

Really sorry to hear this, you and your family must be in great shock. My cousin had his Mazda stolen the same way, they loaded it up with his TV, laptop, credit cards, mobile phone, and drove away. Luckily there was only him in the house and there wasn't a nasty accident resulting in the death of an innocent man like in your case. It really does make you think when these things happen. Sad 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi
Ertl limited edition RRS model number 817

Post #67133 Mon Nov 20 2006 5:39pm
chomper

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I've thought long and hard about the security issues that this has raised. One thing for sure is that I'm glad they found the keys without the need to come upstairs and ask where they are.

As many of you have said, the car's just a car and it can be easily replaced. I just live in fear of what might have happened if they had not found the keys so easily!

I'm going to be putting CCTV in place as well as motion detectors which raise a buzzer in the house when there is movement outside. I must say it really has been a wake up call because I truly believed that this sort of thing only happened to others. I know that sounds a bit arrogant, but it's certainly not meant to be . It's pure and simple naiivity with a dose of stupidity thrown in.

The real tragedy in this is not the loss of the car, it's the resultant loss of life.

Post #67136 Mon Nov 20 2006 6:01pm
chomper

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

philmw wrote:
So sorry to hear this, and glad you and your family are OK albeit the terrible shock.

In fear of scum taking the keys to my cars they all have Tracker units with driver recognition tags.

The Tracker system with driver ID tags sounds interesting. Can anyone tell me more? How much does this sort of thing cost?? How do you let the bastards know that the car has such a system fitted before they burgle the house??

I remember attending a car show in the US where they demonstrated an anti-carjacking system that shot flames all down the side of the car to burn the Censored legs off. We should have something similar over here!!

Post #67138 Mon Nov 20 2006 6:07pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

the best way to deter any theif is to make it look as difficult as possible to steal, most theives are thick and they will soon move on to someone else who is less protected. I think the best deterent is a nasty looking dog on a lead in a kennel, not a pet but the sort of dog that you used to see in a scrap yard. that will do the job most times espically if you live out in the sticks.No matter what clever devises you fit the theif will find a way around it,Hit em where it hurts litrerally. some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #67170 Mon Nov 20 2006 9:00pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

What like my Rex?

RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #67171 Mon Nov 20 2006 9:06pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

chomper Censored those bar stewards. The main thing is your family is safe, thinking of the poor guy who lost his life and his family.

Lets hope those Censored get caught and rot in hell.

Post #67172 Mon Nov 20 2006 9:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

JayMann wrote:
What like my Rex?

[img:300:400]http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10310/normal_
14-01-06_1609.jpg[/img]

That will do the job every time. Would you risk it if you could go down the road and pick on someone else with less protection, i know this is a sad way of looking at things and it means someone else is goining to get screwed but it aint going to be you Exclamation some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #67178 Mon Nov 20 2006 9:29pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

Dogs can be a good deterrent, I do a lot of cycling on the country lanes and 9/10 houses I go past have a big dog that barks at me just for cycling past. If I was gonna steal car it would be one without a dog! Not always practical though, big electric gates, security cameras, motion detectors and a tracker will have the same desired effect, but what is the world coming to when you have to turn your home into a high security jail? 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi
Ertl limited edition RRS model number 817

Post #67188 Mon Nov 20 2006 10:15pm
Wisnae'Me

Scotland 

I leave all my car keys right by the door awkward enough you can't get to them through the letter box you would need to come in to the porch by about 4ft to get them.

Only thing is I leave the door open from the kitchen to the porch so my five dogs can go between. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

trust my girl dog would have them

Post #67198 Mon Nov 20 2006 10:57pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I leave mine on the table in the hall but seeing as I don't have a letterbox I don't think this is a problem. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #67199 Mon Nov 20 2006 10:58pm
_simon_

United Kingdom 
Saw this on disco3 and posted same...

My god !

I remember seeing and hearing the news on this when the M5 was closed. I saw the photo on the BBC news pages. There was a RRS in the photo pranged with another vehicle.

Item here

Amazing that there are animals like this living in the UK, let alone the area I live in.

I feel for your family who were violated in their home and of course for the family of the man killed by pure greed.

Can a car really be worth that much carnage to make a quick buck ?

Its criminal that the police have such little resource on the roads these days now that the magic 'cure all' speed and CCTV cameras have taken over.

Sorry chaps... rant off. D3 owner from the other side...

Last edited by _simon_ on Mon Nov 20 2006 11:59pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #67201 Mon Nov 20 2006 11:02pm
_simon_

United Kingdom 

I thought I was sad by always taking my keys to bed with me Embarassed, now I feel its the better thing to do.

Mind you, if they were that keen to find the keys they would wake you up and demand them from you. D3 owner from the other side...

Post #67203 Mon Nov 20 2006 11:04pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

from a personal perspective what concerns me is my response to ever finding someone in my home. My offices were broken into last March - I got there in 10 mins to find the doors wide open - I basically pulled up outside and ran straight in looking for them - obviously a stupid thing to do, however at that moment in time I just needed to find someone - fortunately for me and them, they had already gone. I hated the way it made me feel 'real anger/rage' for that moment and then for days after - and this was just my office

Post #67205 Mon Nov 20 2006 11:10pm
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Just glad your family were OK, thoughts though to the victims family.

I tend to take the keys upstairs with me at night, but then you sometimes think leave them downstairs and get the ba$tard$ out of the house asap.

Post #67211 Mon Nov 20 2006 11:25pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Quote:
The Tracker system with driver ID tags sounds interesting.

Tracker Response costs about 1000 quid for 3 years. Uses the old VHF system to alert local police cars and let them find the car, but also uses GPS and GPRS to tell Tracker exactly where the car is. The system gives an event signal every time the car is started, every five minutes when on, an event when turned off, and pre-programmed events such as moving out of a given radius, exceeding a specified speed, etc. When not in use the device gives a heatbeat to show all is well. Will also give an event if the power supply is disturbed. Alarms are triggered if the car moves without ignition, or the car is started without the tag (a disc about 1.5 inches across) being present.

These events are logged, and you can go to a web site to see the past 6 months history. For example:

Cool

The website also allows you to set other alarms, such as reminders for MOTs, which are SMS'd to you phone.

The system is great.

The company, however, has some customer relations issues that they need to resolve - in my experience anyway. I purchased all my systems through Tracker direct. There are many local companies that will sell and install the device, however - including the local LR dealer Stratstones. I will not be buying Tracker from them direct in the future.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #67212 Mon Nov 20 2006 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>