RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Infotainment Audio, SatNav & Bluetooth Failed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Grimble

United Kingdom 

Ordered!
Any need to paint the parts as the plating on these kind of things is usually poor.
I'm assuming a rubber washer would be better on the 'wet' side?
Or was a bit of silicone sealant good enough? RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #639628 Tue Feb 13 2024 12:07pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Also I have seen videos showing drilling out of the stub from the top and the bottom, which is easier?
I'm nervous about removing the trim adjacent to the drain channel and had a go at removing the glass sunroof which came off easy enough but needed two people. I'm on my own most of the time and don't have a garage. Bad time of year for this kind of job! RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Post #639629 Tue Feb 13 2024 12:10pm
Garrfield

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Autobiography Firenze Red

I did this on my own. Drilled from the outside without removing the roof. Long 10mm drill and duck taped the side of the glass just in case. I cleaned up after drilling and painted with a bit of black Hammerite before fitting. Because of the curve on the outside a washer can't be used so just a nut on the outside. On the underside I used the large washer with the lock washer, a bit of trial and error to judge how to get the right position so that when you put the nut on the outside the tube is flush with the nut. I applied silicone to the washer so that when it was pushed through there was a good seal underneath. You can just about get a 14mm spanner on the outside, hold the tube underneath by hand and tighten with spanner or long nose pliers. When all bolted firmly I applied a bead of silicone around the nut just to be sure. 10-14mm hose clamps needed, a bit fiddly to get on them once you push the hose on to the tube, but once it's all connected seems to be quite firm. But be careful and get this done asap, my amp is already blown under the passenger seat so I now have no satnav, stereo or bluetooth....zilch! Current: 2014 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography 110k miles......will it make the 200k like the Boss did1
Previous: 2007 3.6 TDV8 200k miles (The best, gone but not forgotten)

Post #639630 Tue Feb 13 2024 12:39pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Oooff, bad luck. I have had no issues other than drips of water collecting in the rubber boot tray, it seems like it runs down the headlining and out of a join in the C pillar trim. But best not to push my luck.
Better get it done soon.

Thanks a lot for the instructions, seems like your method is the easiest I have seen so far.

Hope my sausage fingers are up to the job! RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Post #639631 Tue Feb 13 2024 12:59pm
Karlp606

Just on the drain part to fix to the rubber drain hose you can use the flared copper pipe or metal one as the OP mentioned above, but theres also these from the previous range rover. Just cut the top off so its flush with the sunroof drain and then seal around it with some tiger seal and push into the original drain hose ;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375132821043?ch...gKWh_D_BwE

PS If you experiencing the leak and havent done the repair yet you can tape the rubber seam up with this T tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Molding-Glossy-...B0B66T7WDY

Post #639632 Tue Feb 13 2024 1:09pm
Garrfield

Grimble wrote:
Oooff, bad luck. I have had no issues other than drips of water collecting in the rubber boot tray, it seems like it runs down the headlining and out of a join in the C pillar trim. But best not to push my luck.
Better get it done soon.

Thanks a lot for the instructions, seems like your method is the easiest I have seen so far.

Hope my sausage fingers are up to the job!

Good luck. The main thing is to make sure it doesn't run down the B pillar the water runs everywhere from there. Current: 2014 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography 110k miles......will it make the 200k like the Boss did1

Post #639633 Tue Feb 13 2024 1:34pm
Garrfield

Karlp606 wrote:
Just on the drain part to fix to the rubber drain hose you can use the flared copper pipe or metal one as the OP mentioned above, but theres also these from the previous range rover. Just cut the top off so its flush with the sunroof drain and then seal around it with some tiger seal and push into the original drain hose ;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375132821043?ch...gKWh_D_BwE

PS If you experiencing the leak and havent done the repair yet you can tape the rubber seam up with this T tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Molding-Glossy-...B0B66T7WDY

Hi Karl, I found a copper pipe that had flares either end so only had to be cut to length. I am a bit dubious about it actually staying in place for long. These older rubber connectors look the part tho. Current: 2014 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography 110k miles......will it make the 200k like the Boss did1

Post #639634 Tue Feb 13 2024 1:38pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

All the bits on order including an extra-long series 10mm drill bit.
Will have a go at the week-end and report back.

Many thanks for help and advice so far. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Post #639636 Tue Feb 13 2024 5:33pm
Garrfield

How did you get on Grimble? Mine has worked a treat and all sealed and water tight. Current: 2014 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography 110k miles......will it make the 200k like the Boss did1

Post #640485 Sun Mar 17 2024 10:01pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Did one side and all been ok so far.
Biggest challenge was that after drilling, due to the angle of the drill, part of the rusty stub was still in place. Managed to get the dremel in from the inside, as there was no way a file could be used.
Other side will need re-doing, as the drain stub looked only to be corroded at the end, blocking the drain and letting the channel fill up. So just refitted the hose after cleaning out as I hoped it would do the job.

One thing I learned to make the job easier is to fit the hose clip and tighten before fitting the threaded part through the hole.

Very poor original design.

Next L494 will be without a pan roof, never open it and always have the blind closed. I like the gloom. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Post #640550 Wed Mar 20 2024 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123