Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 5.0 Viscous Fan behavior normal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRS494Ger

Germany 
5.0 Viscous Fan behavior normal

Hello,

I have a for me new 5.0SC L494 which is the successor for my loved X5 with N62 engine.

The X5 was my first BMW with a electric fan. The E39 I had before had also a viscous fan.

The E39 had only 2,2L dicplacement but sounded in really hot weather like a 12L V24 engine.... Mr. Green

So I was really happy BMW switched to an electric fan and banned this viscous coupling. The ride in the hottest temps was quite and I was able to enjoy the V8 grumble.

But now with the L494 I had to discover the time for viscous fans isn´t over. Driving trough the city with temps around 13-15°c let the viscous fan kick in. Not long, just for the first 3 gears and to 2000rpm´s, but this is exactly the range I would like to have a quiet car....

Is this behaviour normal that even now I can hear the viscous fan already?

How bad will it be during summer? Rolling Eyes

Is there any possibility to replace it with a electric fan? I found a documentation about the AJ133 V8 and it stated that this viscous fan is only used by LR. Is that right/true?

Jaguar doesn´t have them? So maybe it´s a possibility to change to their cooling system/cooling fan?

Post #639789 Sun Feb 18 2024 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1