RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > 2006 RR Sport not starting!! Help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Eddie_173

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Java Black
2006 RR Sport not starting!! Help please

Hi all, this is my first tim posting on the forum, I’m a movie with these too so apologies if this problem has been solved else where. The knowledge on these forums is incredible so hoping someone will know how to fix my issue.

I have a 2006 RRS 4.4 V8 Supercharged. Just over 2 weeks ago the rear drivers side wheel bearing went, I managed to get it to my dad’s house as I was closer to there than home or a garage. My father is also a bit of a mechanic (unofficial) knows exactly what he is doing but limited with in depth knowledge. I ordered a new wheel bearing, as well as new discs and pads for both sides of the rear wheels.
Also discovered the emergency brake shoe was knackered so ordered a new one of those, the wheel was stripped completely while we waited for the parts. The EPB wire came out no problem, when we tried to fit the new shoe, we tried to release the EPB wire, it kept feeding in and out and did this around 4-5 times before stopping completely pulled in. (Tight/on) in an attempt to release the EPB so we could fit the shoe properly I have located the release loop under the centre console and pulled this, it didn’t release the EPB wire. In the end we decided to leave it detached and get it to a garage to replace the whole actuator and wires properly.

We also replaced the battery to a brand new one. Once everything was back on, I tried to start the car but it wouldn’t start, it was ticking over or however it’s best described, (getting to the point it wants to start but not actually starting)
Called the AA out, they looked at everything they could, plugged the diagnostics in and all of it was coming back perfect, fuel, electrics, power etc, he even said he doesn’t know why it won’t start.

Comes up with a few faults now, obviously the EPB fault, check brake pads and a wheel speed sensor fault.
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what I may have done to stop the engine staring, could it be the EPB loop not being back properly? or the wheel speed sensor?

Thanks in advance all.

Post #638773 Sat Jan 13 2024 9:23pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

When the park brake shoes are out, you don’t mess with the epb switch.
Ideally before you start, you back them off with a diag tool.

Did you break the abs sensor ? Or power the car up with it disconnected ?

As for the no start. Try starting it. Then I would remove one spark plug. See if it’s wet with petrol.
Then crank it to check you have a spark. (WITH THE SPARK PLUG IN THE coil PACK and THE SPARK PLUG BODY NEAR METAL. A JUMP LEAD COULD BE USED TO CLIP AROUND THE SPARK PLUG THREAD AND OTHER END TO CHASSIS OR BATTERY -

Last edited by Andy K on Sun Jan 14 2024 8:57am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #638774 Sat Jan 13 2024 10:33pm
kas982

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

what's the fuel level? if less than 2 gallons, possibly.. you had it jacked the fuel has moved out of range for the pump.

Post #638776 Sun Jan 14 2024 12:10am
Eddie_173

Andy K wrote:
When the park brake shoes are out, you don’t mess with the epb switch.
Ideally before you start, you back them off with a diag tool.

Did you break the abs sensor ? Or power the car up with it disconnected ?

As for the no start. Try starting it. Then I would remove one spark plug. See if it’s wet with petrol.
Then crank it to check you have a spark.

Thank you for the reply, no we didn’t break the ABS sensor or power it up with it disconnected.

Will give the spark plug check a go today, appreciate it a lot.

Post #638779 Sun Jan 14 2024 7:52am
Eddie_173

kas982 wrote:
what's the fuel level? if less than 2 gallons, possibly.. you had it jacked the fuel has moved out of range for the pump.

Thank you for the reply, it had 1/4 a tank to start, we did think it may have been the fuel level because of the hill plus being jacked up so we put another 2 gallons in but nothing. Thank you though

Post #638780 Sun Jan 14 2024 7:53am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

FIRST POST EDITED TO ADD DETAIL

Also check to see if you can hear the fuel pump working in the tank. Either at ign on or while cranking.

Post #638781 Sun Jan 14 2024 8:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1