RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Access to gearbox T40 bolts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ShouldHaveStuckWithAudi

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Access to gearbox T40 bolts

Morning, following on from my intro post in the welcome thread, the recently purchased 2009 RRS is/was a piece of ....so as soon as it got home i put it in the garage and did the cam belt on it (no evidence of dealers having done it at any point up to 105K miles and it's now at 160K) and changed every filter i can find, including being half way through the 'metal gearbox pan with separate filter' conversion.

My first question on this is: are there any tricks to getting the (T40) bolts out or the M6's back in - mainly under the forward cross member? (Why would they have designed something right in the way??? crazy!). I've used various 1/4" bits cut to various lengths but there has to be an easier way otherwise i have no chance of getting a torque wrench on it. Would appreciate any pics of hacks people have used.

Second question: any tricks for cleaning the EGR gunk from the intake manifold? have seen the NaOH (draino) trick on youtube but didn't work great for me.

Finally I need to find a good writeup to replace the rear outer CV boot (just searched on here and couldn't find much) - if i can't find one elsewhere i'll try to do one myself and post here.

Appreciate any help you provide.

Post #637450 Mon Nov 20 2023 11:39am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The gearbox fits many manufactures and isn't designed to be serviced in situ, or serviced at all!
I have had the megatronics unit out, and don't recall any issues. I think bolt lengths are different.

Regarding cleaning the inlet manifold internals. Did you watch the Germans cleaning it?
Personally I wouldn't worry. Or you can bin them and fit metal items from Ebay or Aliexpress

Post #637455 Mon Nov 20 2023 12:56pm
ShouldHaveStuckWithAudi

Thanks Andy. Will check the bolt lengths but think the replacements are all the same M6's - have now checked and all the same. Bolts going back in were much easier than the T40's coming out - got a torque wrench on most of them except those behind the cross members.

Next problem i've got is how to fill the gearbox while the car is flat - don't think i can fit under when it's on it's wheels and don't have 4 ramps (yet)...any suggestions welcome.

Post #637539 Wed Nov 22 2023 11:21pm
Andy K

Car in high suspension. Axel stands under it.

If you have side steps it’s a pain though.

?si=xi2eF3MG8cjQTOfh

See end of video

Post #637540 Wed Nov 22 2023 11:36pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The cross member is supposed to be taken off for some of the access requirements around the transmission, that's why it's in the way. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #637542 Thu Nov 23 2023 12:13am
ShouldHaveStuckWithAudi

Thanks but not touching/removing anything i don't have to on this thing - likely to break it or me.

Thanks again Andy - no idea how i didn't find that video of my fellow countryman...good video though torque specs aren't quite right.

Post #637547 Thu Nov 23 2023 11:37am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Workshop manual here if you're going to be doing stuff yourself on your RRS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yunzrqm47py4pww/RRSL320WSM2006.pdf 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #637567 Fri Nov 24 2023 11:34am
ShouldHaveStuckWithAudi

@Andy - thanks again - good tip re the access height - not something i've had before in road-going audi's.

I got about 6.5L of fluid in it (about 5.5L came out) and gears seem to be all there - will road test in a few days and re-check the levels in case i've got air in the system. BTW, this is all to see if it will solve a hunting issue when cruising at 2k revs....we'll see else it may be more sinister.

In the interest of trying to give back, those parents out there that may have a Braun (or similar) infrared thermometer for their kids, set it to 'water temp' and it works brilliantly on the metal pan of the gearbox - i could take temps at various points to ensure it was c. 35deg.c

@RRSTDV8 - thank you so much - have been wondering where everyone got their torque specs from - that will be a real lifesaver.

Post #637571 Fri Nov 24 2023 1:22pm
Andy K

If doesn't, purchase 2 tubes of Dr. Tranny or shudder guard additive.

Post #637573 Fri Nov 24 2023 4:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1