RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wiring fog lights for DRL’s?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

NoExpert wrote:
Also, WTF’s the difference between running my headlights for DRL’s (as JLR has setup) and my fog lights

Quite simple, you can not turn on your foglights without turning on your other lamps. If you had position markers on only (and turned on the foglights) you'd break the rule which prohibites driving with markers on. If you had your main beam and foglights and the conditions are not foggy enough, you broke the rules of foglight use.

NoExpert wrote:
A list of countries with compulsory 24/7 DRL laws:

Hmmm. 24/7 DRL? I wouldn't be so sure. Either D or 24.
Nevertheless, there is no need to have a compulsory DRL stated in law. A motor vehicle manufactured after 2011 and sold within EU has to be equipped with DRL and it has to be functional. Effectively, every >2011 car in Germany (or elsewhere) drives with DRL. Yes, I am aware it takes 30 seconds with a computer to turn it off. Local laws may (and do) extend this to older vehicles that could not have been regulated because such obligation cannot be created ex post facto.

Not judging here, just a sum up of the laws concerning light use. Unfortunately, law is my profession by education so sharing the status quo in regards lighting.

NoExpert wrote:
So if these death traps are passing inspections then mine should have zero problems due to some lights… especially if I kick in some extra money for them to pass it without even being inspected (yes, I have that option available to me, but haven’t used it).

If a premium vehicle that costed an arm & leg when new and is still equally dear in servicing needs an incentive to pass a MOT like a hoodlum's rustbucket because makeshift DRL... then there is no hope for us, we're doomed. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #637325 Wed Nov 15 2023 11:02pm
Pistnbroke

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Galway Green

If you dont want to use the fog lights then dont pull the fog light fuse and just run the wire from the relay to your compliant DLRs you have fitted elsewhere..

Andy K I assume BLAR BLAR means you dont understand the concept of how the relay operates and you dont need a diode nor will the sidelights come on with the DRLs Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.
The avatar is a picture of the man with a big cock.
Learned to 4x4 on 100 mile beach and Frazer Island QLD
Dont spend money on old cars you will never get it back

Post #637334 Thu Nov 16 2023 8:44am
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Think I’m going to put this on the back burner for now. Maybe early next year I’ll revisit it. I have done more looking into it and I don’t disagree with what TheWojtek is saying about the legalities, mostly in what I’ve read in the specific markings that need to be on the lights to satisfy certain legal requirements. The fog lights I have are just that, fog lights. Perhaps if I find some dual DRL/fog lights I may give this a bash and wire it like the factory setup for their DRL’s. I can’t justify the cost of the genuine setup, and most of the dual setups I’ve seen I wouldn’t trust. But if I do find some I trust I’ll get them and go for it. Probably won’t be much of an issue once we move out of Poland since we’ll be where DRL’s aren’t required. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #637337 Thu Nov 16 2023 11:29am
Cpt Jack Sparrow

Wales 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Powerful UK do a 2 types of dual lights both fog and DRL

one example

https://www.powerfuluk.com/collections/spo...010-type-2

CJS

Post #637346 Thu Nov 16 2023 5:33pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Pistn I fully understood what you were explaining. And hence I was able to point out a potential issue now, before someone implements it

Post #637348 Thu Nov 16 2023 6:39pm
NoExpert

Cot Jack Sparrow, I’ve seen what Powerful UK offer and unfortunately I’m just not impressed. When I come across the right ones I’ll get them.

I think the install will be pretty easy, the fog part of it is already there so that’s easy. DRL side I’ll pull power from the CJB, switch signal from the shifter and the shut off signal from the parking/position lights just like the VPLSV0064 kit shows to. This way it’ll be wired up the way the factory says to do it. It is also how I want them to work which is a pretty big bonus. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #637350 Thu Nov 16 2023 7:18pm
Pistnbroke

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Galway Green

Andy there is no issue with the wiring as I described .I have it on two cars both of which have passed the MOT and the DRLs go off when the main lights come on.

Stop spreading false information which will prevent people improving there cars, Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.
The avatar is a picture of the man with a big cock.
Learned to 4x4 on 100 mile beach and Frazer Island QLD
Dont spend money on old cars you will never get it back

Post #637361 Thu Nov 16 2023 10:51pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

NoExpert wrote:
I think the install will be pretty easy, the fog part of it is already there so that’s easy

Hey, it just struck me that if you have a DRL8 marking on these lights, they may actually be capable of being a "legitimate" DRL with lower voltage applied to them.

This is something I have planned to have designed - a small circuit fed by live power, providing different voltage out, depending on the state of the main beams. In your case this could be configured to 9V out constant, 0V if main beam is on unless fogs turned on manually, in which case 12V out. I have a PCB designer on standby to create a prototype for such a thing I want to implement in the second set of headlights I have spare. In my case the plan is to swap the useless signature LEDs for a set powerful enough to be a real DRL but make them dim automatically to regular level when main beam or indicator is on. This may be a self-contained solution that would only tap into existing wiring. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #637363 Fri Nov 17 2023 10:04am
NoExpert

I’m curious if DRL8 implies 8v if run as DRL’s. There’s another version of these that have DRL10 on them, perhaps they’re 10v.

Now, here’s the real conundrum, markings. I did a lot of reading the other day and found a document listing the required marking for DRL’s, fog lights, etc. If a light is a DRL/fog combo it will have F3 (fog) RL (running light/DRL) and maybe PL (position light) with the E# on the lens. On the lights I have the lens only has F3. So I genuinely believe these are only fog lights and could get me into a sticky situation in the wrong circumstances.

As for the DRL8, could just be the LED module used in the lights. The question would be, am I brave enough to f around and find out? In reality I could just throw in a resistor on the power side to knock it down to 8v and see how it goes. If they flicker due to low voltage then they’re just fogs and I need to look at getting different lights to pursue this. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory

Post #637378 Fri Nov 17 2023 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12