RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Any performance mods for the 3.6TDV8?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

300bhp/ton

United Kingdom 
Any performance mods for the 3.6TDV8?

Seriously considering a 3.6 L320 TDV8 RRS. I've had my heart set on a 5.0 s/c one, but prices are still strong and choice quite limited. So I'm considering opening options up to include the diesel V8.

My Uncle as an L405 4.4 TDV8 and a couple of mates have L322's with the 4.4. I have driven a 3.6 in the past.

They go ok stock, but obviously quite a bit slower than a 5.0 s/c. but the greater choice of ones for sale (UK) and lower prices do appeal. And I must admit the better mpg appeals too. Currently running a modded p38 with the 4.6 Rover V8, which is lovely (not speedy, but goes ok). But 14-15mpg is a bit of a kicker.

I see several firms offer remaps for the 3.6 TDV8, not all of them (Alive tuning...) seem to quote power gains. Although others seem to suggest 303-310bhp. So about on par with an L322 4.4 TDV8 powerwise, but still with the 6 speed gearbox.

Are there any other worthwhile power mods? I know if you are tuning a Land Rover Tdi, Td5 or Puma engine a bigger intercooler is a must, plus things like EGR mods, better exhaust, better induction or maybe even hybrid turbos.

I've not seen much for the TDV8 using Google, so wondering if anyone else mods them any further than just a remap and if there is anything worth considering.

Post #634909 Tue Aug 08 2023 3:44pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

To be honest, the 6 speed gearbox will not take much more torque, so any jump in 'power' might just be an expensive waste of money.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #634910 Tue Aug 08 2023 4:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A remap is probably all you can realistically do. The intercooler is already big, with one side doing each turbo, the breathing is ok too - no benefit likely from an aftermarket filter. An exhaust change by removing a box can make it throatier/louder but I doubt you'd find much performance gain from a new system as it's already a decent bore.

A remap can also map out the EGRs so you could blank those.

I believe the gearbox is the same as the 4.2S/C with additional pinion gears and clutch plates to handle to extra grunt compared to the 4.4V8 and the 2.7V6. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #634911 Tue Aug 08 2023 4:21pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The 4.2 SuperCharged is probably the most reliable. Though the gearbox could be trouble.

Post #634916 Tue Aug 08 2023 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1