RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > SVR mk1 v SVR mk2 - thoughts…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Farmer Chalk

SVR mk1 v SVR mk2 - thoughts…

I have been in the fortunate position to run a number of L494’s as my company grey fleet cars, the first a 3.0SDV6, a 5.0 S, and a Mk1 SVR and recently updated to a MK2 SVR..
stunning cars and one’s that I have done over 150,000 miles in …
They have all been fantastically reliable.. the only issue being a failed window regulator in my last SVR..

So going from a 17MY to a 2020 MY SVR I cannot believe the difference between the two cars.. if I was blindfolded the latest car is so different from the last that there is no way I would think it’s the same car with the same platform..
My Mk1 SVR was awesome, the noise, the handling, the overall brutalness, the gear changes, the ride and handling …incredible car..

The latest incarnation is totally different, more subtle, more compliant, softer seats, smoother gear changes, and not until you floor the throttle that it makes its impact known.. not saying it’s less fun but the ride quality is light years apart..

The later one is also surprisingly more thirsty even gentle pottering around it consumes fuel with great aplomb..

So pluses of later car.. ride, suspension compliance, softer more comfortable seats..quieter and less lairy!

Negatives…sat nav is equally as rubbish as the last, fuel consumption is considerably worse, screens slow to wake up to activate switch gear, finger marks on the shiny interior…

What are others thoughts?

Post #629279 Mon Dec 19 2022 8:08pm
Googs

Australia 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Sounds a bit like they're cutting a few corners from MK1 - MK2...from your remarks i think i would be searching for a low mileage MK1 to replace any vehicle that has too many miles on it or the lease has run out.

Post #629281 Mon Dec 19 2022 8:41pm
Farmer Chalk

I think the first spec cars were always designed to be outrageous.. the second series grew up … I don’t think they cut any corners just were trying to show the car had become more mainstream..
My later one has a carbon fibre bonnet which looks like any other bonnet.I.e painted in bonnet colour until you open it up and the underside is just exquisite yet can’t be seen by anyone other than the service garage!

Post #629286 Mon Dec 19 2022 10:20pm
Googs

Australia 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

That's good for the purchaser to have the extra luxuries like CF bonnet...why put there for the guy's and gal's at the service centers.
The vehicles are getting better as far as Tech and reliability, but can't see the point if the MK1 was a brute of a thing and the MK2 is a Autobiography (basically) just more mellowed. You purchase these machines because you want the race or up-modded vehicle. But anyway everyone different and everyone wants different extras some people will still like the MK2 i'm betting.

Post #629287 Mon Dec 19 2022 11:02pm
Jjvd21

United States 

I’ve owned 2 - 2018+ SVR’s and drove a 2021 v8 Autobiography for comparison. I can confirm the SVR is a completely different vehicle compared to a regular v8 and I rushed to hand back the keys. While the first SVR is more brutal the second has more power, is faster, with about 75% of the noise. 2020 SVR / R.I.P. 2019 SVR / 2016 D4 Landmark / 2005 D3 HSE

Post #629296 Tue Dec 20 2022 1:35pm
Farmer Chalk

Agreed plus I love the clever headlight system!

Post #629297 Tue Dec 20 2022 1:38pm
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I'm currently on my 9th SVR, from the original one through to the most recent - 9 months old now.

I agree with most of your views to be honest - The later model is a much more grown up, accomplished car and capable of doing exactly what I want from a daily driver...Calmly and comfortably driving 600 miles up to the Highlands in absolute comfort....then enjoying the back roads and roaring through quiet glens when I get there. Before going back to being sensible and going off road!

Personally i don't have a problem with the nav system, i just don't notice the lag much, but i'll admit i don't need guidance very much, its just on in the background. Yes, its marginally quieter, but in the real world, this is something i don't really notice anymore and as above, i prefer the Jekyll & Hyde personality.

The tech and toys all help to establish the car as a leader in its field and good value as well. I have bought every competitor to try and find an alternative - Urus, Bentayga, G Wagon, Cullinan, FFRR, RSQ8, Cayenne and recently the DBX - nothing comes close.

My only major problem, is that I suspect the next generation will see a significant price increase that will erode the value and open up the competition. Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #629330 Wed Dec 21 2022 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1