RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > What Tyres do you recommend??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Autobiography1969

England 
What Tyres do you recommend??

Hi All looking for a full set of 4 new tyres,
as the only advisory from todays MOT pass
was both front tyres getting a little low on
the inner edge on both tyres with slight
cracking/perishing on both,
I don't do massive mileage (4-7k per year)
so they don't wear out too fast, these have
been on the RRS for just about 4 years and
14k miles, don't want to spend more than £225
per tyre,,,

285/35 R22 is the current size,

Recommendations please... Smile ===========================================
2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Indus Silver with Hockenheim premium two-tone leather Ebony/Lunar,

Post #627110 Mon Oct 03 2022 6:57pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What tyres do you currently have fitted? Are you happy with them?

I'd usually suggest the fitting of one of the new breed of winter-rated all season tyres such as the Michelin CrossClimate unless someone wants an All Terrain tyre or a fast road / performance tyre. The CrossClimate type tyres perform really well in winter conditions but also run pretty close to dedicated summer tyres in warm conditions. No idea if such tyres are available in your size, however. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #627118 Mon Oct 03 2022 10:43pm
Autobiography1969

England 

I currently have Delinte ds8, on the car when purchased,
they are a budget tyre, approx. £90 each, they have been OK,
so I was looking for an upgrade from the recommendations I received, ===========================================
2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Indus Silver with Hockenheim premium two-tone leather Ebony/Lunar,

Post #627121 Mon Oct 03 2022 11:13pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

In the past I have asked for recommendations which have been helpful, but I now believe this ultimately has to be an individual choice based on internet research.

In my humble opinion it depends on the climate you're in, the type of roads you (mainly) drive on, whether you want / need to sacrifice noise for petrol consumption, and comfort may or may not be important for you. Road handling and driving style is a factor too as of course is the tyre's stopping distance ability in wet weather.

Changing the tyre size to suit your driving needs might be something you want to think about. I see you do relatively low mileage. I'm not sure that's a key factor but I'm not an expert. I too am a low mileage driver.

When I was in the UK i found Pirelli Scorpion All Season suited me best, but I've now changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 Summer tyres as driving conditions and roads here in Portugal can be very different to UK roads, especially in the area I'm in. I'm also very limited as to the size of tyre I can have here. I'm not able to have 275/45/20s fitted here. I've found Summer tyres to hold the road much better than All Season tyres in very wet conditions. Again, maybe that's just me, or maybe its the road surfaces I drive on now.

Personally I don't like Continental tyres for several reasons (such as noise and longevity), but others here like them. That said it's been a few years since I had Contis.

My son (like you, also in the SE of the UK) has a RRS and he's happy with Nexens. He also has 22" wheels. Budget is a key factor for him and he does 50-50 motorway / urban and rural roads driving.

I expect you'll get a few recommendations and opinions which may go some way to helping you decide. When all said and done, what suits one might not suit another so my recommendation to you would be to do some thorough research taking into account your individual needs as well as seeking recommendations.

Good luck and happy & safe driving. Thumbs Up Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #627131 Tue Oct 04 2022 6:16am
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

@BJH1959 Just curious, why can’t you have 275/45R20 in Portugal? Some insurance thing or they will only fit the size tire that was original to the car? I couldn’t do 275/40R20’s on my RRS.

As for tires, I’m torn between AT’s and 4 seasons myself. If I go AT it’ll be Falken Wildpeak AT3W. If I go four season I think it’ll be the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 Evo. As most of my driving is currently on road with only the occasional off the beaten track trip I’m leaning towards the 4 season tires. Both are 3PMSF rated. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #627135 Tue Oct 04 2022 7:53am
Crraigymmmmm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I had 285 35 22 ditch finders on my rims when I bought them, Have now fitted 285 40 22 Scorpion (Pirelli) LR spec and they are great albeit ever so slight too big but look great and speedo is bang on the GPS Speed now.
275 40 22 would probably be better for OE gearing etc

Post #627141 Tue Oct 04 2022 9:06am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I would go for Pirelli AS myself,I had continental 295/40r22 & the road noise was terrible,as soon as I fitted the Pirelli 275/40r22 the noise disappeared,even the wife noticed & she now’s nothing about cars.At the end of you get what you pay for. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #627142 Tue Oct 04 2022 9:38am
Crraigymmmmm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Indeed! The foam lining helps. I always go pirelli

Post #627145 Tue Oct 04 2022 11:51am
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

NoExpert wrote:
@BJH1959 Just curious, why can’t you have 275/45R20 in Portugal? Some insurance thing or they will only fit the size tire that was original to the car? I couldn’t do 275/40R20’s on my RRS.

As for tires, I’m torn between AT’s and 4 seasons myself. If I go AT it’ll be Falken Wildpeak AT3W. If I go four season I think it’ll be the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 Evo. As most of my driving is currently on road with only the occasional off the beaten track trip I’m leaning towards the 4 season tires. Both are 3PMSF rated.

Hi@NoExpert.

Here the tyres must comply with the sizes on the door pillar plate, or its a straight MOT failure. If that's missing they go by those given in the vehicle's handbook, and in my case the handbook and the label say the same. Those sizes are also endorsed on the (Portuguese) registration document. Insurance companies here require a copy of the registration document when taking out insurance, suffice to say that if anything happened with tyres fitted contrary to those sizes it would nullify the insurance and I believe there is a specific road traffic offence too. Rolling Eyes

My options are: 235/65R17, 255/55R18, 255/50R19, and 275/40R20.

The laws and regulations around all modifications here are really tough, and that includes additional lights including daytime running lights. I even had to remove the (UK legal) tints from my rear windows as part of the re-registering process as they were film coated and not glass.

I'm in the (very) rural north and there are very few police in this area to enforce these things, but in other parts of the country they are much more proactive. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #627156 Tue Oct 04 2022 5:13pm
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Those are some strict rules. I see Spain has similar for tires, but not for tint. I’m considering getting the factory tinted glass since I can find it cheap here and prefer it over film any day. Main thing is I’d really hate to have to go to 275/40R20’s. I think some winter wheels and tires may be in my future if we move to Spain. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #627186 Wed Oct 05 2022 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1