RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > New 2022 RRS Reveal this month!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>

jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Have you driven a P400e Sport to compare?

I only ask as the reviews say it is a more" successful" implementation in the Sport.

Cheers
Jim 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #622980 Mon Mar 21 2022 11:04am
slingshot

United Kingdom 

My dealer said they are hoping to get their first show car of the new RR 2023 in April sometime. I think this year the LR will produce all these new RR for all the dealerships around the world as show car and test car. You would be lucky to get the new RR at next year Q1.

Post #622981 Mon Mar 21 2022 11:08am
mikef

United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:

I only ask as the reviews say it is a more" successful" implementation in the Sport.

Cheers
Jim

No I havent. All I can say is that IMHO a 4 cyl engine is not appropriate for a car costing what a RRS/RR does and the fuel consumption is significantly worse than a diesel once the battery runs out of charge, which is basically on any journey over 25-30 miles. Add in the hesitant throttle response from a standstill, the inconsistent brake feel and the extra weight which IMHO affects ride and handling and IMHO its not a very satisfying car to drive. I have a 23mile commute to work and I charge the car religiously at home and at work so most of my commute is done on electric power and I regularly see 80-100mpg on the phone app. The trouble is that I also do regular long journeys on which I'm seeing 22-23mpg. According to the trip computer I'm currently averaging around 34-35mpg over 20k miles and thats not a lot better than a diesel RR would be achieving and certainly not enough of an improvement to put up with the downsides of running the P400e

I reserve judgement on the P440/510e until I can get to drive them (if ever) but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to diesel for my next car

Post #622982 Mon Mar 21 2022 11:38am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I understand where you are coming from, I am looking forward to test driving a hybrid with the 6 cylinder engine.......one day! Thumbs Up 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #622983 Mon Mar 21 2022 11:42am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mikef wrote:
jimbg wrote:

Cheers
Jim

No I havent. All I can say is that IMHO a 4 cyl engine is not appropriate for a car costing what a RRS/RR does and the fuel consumption is significantly worse than a diesel once the battery runs out of charge, which is basically on any journey over 25-30 miles. Add in the hesitant throttle response from a standstill, the inconsistent brake feel and the extra weight which IMHO affects ride and handling and IMHO its not a very satisfying car to drive. I have a 23mile commute to work and I charge the car religiously at home and at work so most of my commute is done on electric power and I regularly see 80-100mpg on the phone app. The trouble is that I also do regular long journeys on which I'm seeing 22-23mpg. According to the trip computer I'm currently averaging around 34-35mpg over 20k miles and thats not a lot better than a diesel RR would be achieving and certainly not enough of an improvement to put up with the downsides of running the P400e

I reserve judgement on the P440/510e until I can get to drive them (if ever) but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to diesel for my next car

Interesting to compare your experience with that shared by Harry Metcalfe on his youtube channel. He's found the P400e to be really good for the use case they have. I guess there will be a mix of uses that suit a PHEV more than others.

It's the classic "horses for courses" thing, I suppose. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #622985 Mon Mar 21 2022 12:42pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

I'm a fan of the Harry's Garage channel. IIRC in one video he mentions that he gets 60mpg+ on average out of his RR P400e and that his car has spent between 40-50% of its miles in EV mode. You can only achieve those sorts of figures if you are doing very few long journeys and the vast majority of your trips are within the battery range of around 25 miles. My driving profile is somewhat different in that roughly 50% of my mileage is commuting (where the battery use is maximised) and the other 50% are business trips of 100 miles+. OK you can lock me up Smile but I tend to cruise at 80-85mph on the motorway and at that speed my P400e is guzzling petrol at around 22-23mpg and it is that what leads to a significantly lower average fuel consumption of around 35mpg. The consumption in itself is not such a big issue but I never see a range on the dashboard of more than 380 miles which is substantially less than an equivalent diesel RR

As I say I'll reserve judgement until I've driven or at least seen test reports on the new 440/510e. Certainly the 6 cylinder engine addresses one of my criticisms of the P400e and the 50 mile EV range may well significantly improve consumption on longer journeys as may the ability to charge the car with the 50kW fast charger

Post #623000 Mon Mar 21 2022 10:30pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

mikef wrote:
I currently run a L405 RR P400e. Lets just say the drivetrain is an acquired taste and I'll be going back to diesel if I can ever get a new RRS

I drove one the other day and liked it. What do you dislike?

For me it was fast and lag free. 2022 P440e AB

Post #623020 Tue Mar 22 2022 7:30pm
RRSTDV8

mikef wrote:
I tend to cruise at 80-85mph on the motorway and at that speed my P400e is guzzling petrol at around 22-23mpg

My RRS would be doing that sott of mpg at that speed. What would you expect at thatsort of speed in a vehicle as big as the FFRR? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #623023 Tue Mar 22 2022 8:45pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

PauloAmore wrote:
mikef wrote:
I currently run a L405 RR P400e. Lets just say the drivetrain is an acquired taste and I'll be going back to diesel if I can ever get a new RRS

I drove one the other day and liked it. What do you dislike?

For me it was fast and lag free.

I gave my views a couple of posts earlier than yours. I must stress those are my personal views and I fully accept other people may think differently

Post #623026 Tue Mar 22 2022 9:30pm
Andy494

United Kingdom 

mikef wrote:

I guess having owned 4 x new RR/RRS in a row doesnt qualify me to be treated as human being

Have you guys been given delivery dates?

Treated as a human being by being invited to a car launch? Take a look around the world, plenty of people really not being treated like a human being- literally!

Post #623028 Tue Mar 22 2022 9:40pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
mikef wrote:
I tend to cruise at 80-85mph on the motorway and at that speed my P400e is guzzling petrol at around 22-23mpg

My RRS would be doing that sott of mpg at that speed. What would you expect at thatsort of speed in a vehicle as big as the FFRR?

My 2 previous cars were a RRS SDV8 and a RRS SDV6. According to the tripmeter on both cars, I averaged 29mpg and 32mpg respectively over the whole of the 3yrs I had each of them. Since that included a lot of urban driving where the consumption would certainly be a lot worse than 30mpg, I would assume that at motorway speeds I was achieving better than 30mpg

It may look bigger but actually the FFRR isnt that much heavier than a RRS (50-80kg?) so I wouldnt expect significantly worse fuel consumption with the same engine and yes I would expect 30mpg or slightly better at motorway speeds out of a FFRR SDV6, maybe a couple of mpg worse from the SDV8 version but certainly not as bad as 22-23mpg

After all the P400e is supposed to be the planet saving eco option but in my book a consumption of 22-23mpg on a long journey is simply not acceptable for such a vehicle. And in all this discussion I havent included the cost of charging the thing for the limited battery range it has which works out currently at about £0.07/mile and probably a lot more in the near future

Post #623029 Tue Mar 22 2022 9:48pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

[quote="Andy494"]

mikef wrote:

Treated as a human being by being invited to a car launch? Take a look around the world, plenty of people really not being treated like a human being- literally!

Yup fair comment in the current situation. Maybe I should have used a tongue in cheek emoji

Post #623030 Tue Mar 22 2022 9:52pm
RRSTDV8

All other things being equal, at 85mph you'll need c.50% as much power (and thus, effectively, fuel) to overcome drag as you do at 70mph. I'm honestly amazed that something with the frontal area and hardly world-beating drag coefficient of a FFRR can deliver 30mpg at 85mph.

With current fuel prices, perhaps I should upgrade my RRS to a FFRR and save a shed load of money in fuel costs.

Now that's the sort of man maths that gets a guy in trouble with SWMBO. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #623036 Wed Mar 23 2022 12:56am
Jjvd21

United States 

Most recent video of the new RRS at the Nurburgring leave a lot to be desired about the exhaust note. I didn't realize that BMW engine produced such little low end grunt... 2020 SVR / R.I.P. 2019 SVR / 2016 D4 Landmark / 2005 D3 HSE

Post #623038 Wed Mar 23 2022 3:55am
mikef

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
All other things being equal, at 85mph you'll need c.50% as much power (and thus, effectively, fuel) to overcome drag as you do at 70mph. I'm honestly amazed that something with the frontal area and hardly world-beating drag coefficient of a FFRR can deliver 30mpg at 85mph.

With current fuel prices, perhaps I should upgrade my RRS to a FFRR and save a shed load of money in fuel costs.

Now that's the sort of man maths that gets a guy in trouble with SWMBO. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Dont forget I'm talking about a constant 80-85mph. FWIW I used to drive my RRS SDV8 to the south of France regularly and because the autoroutes are far less crowded than the UK, it is possible to maintain the 130kph speed limit for long periods and I was seeing a lot better than 30mpg on those trips

As for the FFRR, L-R used to quote an Urban/Extra Urban/Combined mpg for the FFRR SDV8 of 24.6/37.2/32.5 mpg and for the SDV6 33.2/40.4/37.7mpg. Even under the current much more stringent WTLP tests, the High figures were 30.4 and 36.6 mpg respectively

So yes I still maintain that it is perfectly possible to exceed 30mpg at a constant 80-85mph in a FFRR

Post #623047 Wed Mar 23 2022 1:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>