Home > General (L494) > Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser Questions and Advice Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRT

United Kingdom 
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser Questions and Advice Please

A few questions please to those who have experience of Ghost:

1) In reality, how fiddly is having to insert a PIN to commence driving
2) Service mode - I understand that once the car exceed 30mph the Ghost is re-enabled, does this mean on a test drive the moment the car hits 31mph then I potentially will have to let the garage know the PIN so they can move the car out of a service bay or do they have to exceed the speed for a period of time (say 10 mins)?
3) Service mode - based on the above is it easier to change the PIN and tell the garage the temporary PIN?
4) Did you regret having Ghost fitted and why?

Should I consider anything else or as well as? (have factory in-control)

Cheers Richard MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #621808 Sat Feb 12 2022 6:31pm
Kitchenfitter

United Kingdom 

Hithe Ghost is the best thing I ever have had fitted on my previous Mustang,L320 and noe L494
Its easy to use and definitely the best option you will ever make. RRS HSE DYNAMIC 2015 ODESSEY RED

Post #621809 Sat Feb 12 2022 7:29pm
Farmer Chalk

Agreed….the factory in control system is disabled before they reach the end of your road! Use it by all means for mileage claims and playing with but absolutely do not rely on it to stop your car being stolen..

Ghost immobiliser and it takes absolutely seconds to start the car… unless the thief knows your code it is incredibly unlikely he’ll ever get it to start!

Even JLR could’nt start mine…

To protect your car fit an aftermarket immobiliser, an obd protect device and an aftermarket tracker…

Post #621824 Sun Feb 13 2022 1:02am
Kevin-t

United Kingdom 

Questions 1+4

Only had mine fitted around 8 weeks ago.
Ghost 2 + tracker.
1..Don’t find it fiddly,
4..glad I had it fitted. Would defo fit to any car in the future

Forgot to Waite for flashing lights on dash to disarm twice. First time I thought oh no..😱😱😱
However it’s no big deal as explained by fitter.
The guy who fitted mine came to me in Sheffield from Northampton area, fitted both for £500
Bargain I thought.
Have contact if required..
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Rangerover Sport 2016 4.4 sdv8 A/B loire blue.

Post #621825 Sun Feb 13 2022 2:25am
Kitchenfitter

United Kingdom 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Agreed….the factory in control system is disabled before they reach the end of your road! Use it by all means for mileage claims and playing with but absolutely do not rely on it to stop your car being stolen..

Ghost immobiliser and it takes absolutely seconds to start the car… unless the thief knows your code it is incredibly unlikely he’ll ever get it to start!

Even JLR could’nt start mine…

To protect your car fit an aftermarket immobiliser, an obd protect device and an aftermarket tracker…

Which obd protector did you use ? Link plz RRS HSE DYNAMIC 2015 ODESSEY RED

Post #621827 Sun Feb 13 2022 8:25am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I haven’t had ghost fitted to any RRS I’ve had but had it fitted to my focus RS & it really is a great piece of equipment & would recommend to others.When my RS was in valet mode it restricted speed & Revs to around 3000 RPM iirc.Plus I had a disk lock on as extra security,if they see the disc lock they probably just go onto the next vehicle,without disc lock they could damage car getting in even though they aren’t starting it.I also moved the obd port & put a dummy one in its place. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #621828 Sun Feb 13 2022 9:12am
MrM

I had a Ghost on my recently sold SVR.

1. Definitely not fiddly. It probably introduced a 10 second delay in being able to drive the car. Doesn’t sound like a big deal but on occasions it could seem much longer than that.

2. I believe it has to exceed 30/31mph for 15 mins solidly. If the car comes to a stop in that 15 mins then the time period resets. I presume the idea is to lock post being driven for a reasonable time/distance on an A road ot motorway in the event of a theft.

3. Given the above, I’d be surprised if you have a problem with service mode.

4. Yes and No. ultimately no. I had disabled keyless entry on mine so question whether I really needed it. I also worried that if someone really wanted my car and couldn’t start it due to Ghost, then I might be more at risk of violence to obtain it. I was concerned about dealer reaction when I sold it, but LR couldn’t have cared less about it. All things considered the peace of mind of reduced chance of it being stolen for a relatively small cost was worth it to me at the time. It worked very well and had I had prior experience of a car being stolen then I probably would definitely look to get one.

Post #621841 Sun Feb 13 2022 7:00pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

Thank you everyone for your replies, most helpful

I have spoken to a couple of installation companies and one is saying that he recommends Meta Trak S5 Deadlock instead of Ghost as a better all round solution. Any thoughts/comments on this? MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #621867 Mon Feb 14 2022 12:44pm
Kitchenfitter

United Kingdom 

Ghost everytime RRS HSE DYNAMIC 2015 ODESSEY RED

Post #621869 Mon Feb 14 2022 1:24pm
Autobiography1969

England 

RRT wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies, most helpful

I have spoken to a couple of installation companies and one is saying that he recommends Meta Trak S5 Deadlock instead of Ghost as a better all round solution. Any thoughts/comments on this?

A little overkill I know but I have Both..

Both work great and if someone decided to trailer lift the RRS
the tracker would still help locate it..

And if I cannot afford the Meta Trak subscription for any reason,
the ghost will keep her safe.. ===========================================
2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Indus Silver with Hockenheim premium two-tone leather Ebony/Lunar,

Post #621876 Mon Feb 14 2022 4:18pm
espy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Those with Ghosts fitted, a bit of advice please to see if I am getting a load of BS fron local fitters:

I've spoken to a couple of installers who both say that they absolutely refuse to tell me where thet have fitted the device and wont even do it if I am watching.
I dont find this acceptable as, if it is my car, I want to know where it is and how to remove it should it cause any problems.
I suspect that their reticence is due to the fact that they ask £90 to remove and another £90 should I want it refitted into a new car.
They also say that removal is not just a case of unplugging it as this will completely disable the car - This would imply that there is a software modification made to the car as well as the hardware install - Another worry as it could mean warrantee service problems and possible issues if the car gets a software update.

Thanks in advance for any comments from existing owners (or any reputable installers on here). 2020 SVR Santorini Black
--------------------------
2016 SVR Santorini Black
2009 SC Stornoway Grey
2005 SC Zermatt Silver
1999 P38
1990 Overfinch Classic

Post #622163 Wed Feb 23 2022 9:06pm
Kitchenfitter

United Kingdom 

The guy who fitted my Ghost and tracker has told me exavtly where it is. After all it is your product not theirs ! RRS HSE DYNAMIC 2015 ODESSEY RED

Post #622164 Wed Feb 23 2022 9:22pm
espy

Apparently, it is a 'security risk' for them to tell me where it is fitted. I call BS.

Anyone have a recommendation for someone you have used who covers East London / Essex? 2020 SVR Santorini Black
2016 SVR Santorini Black
2009 SC Stornoway Grey
2005 SC Zermatt Silver
1999 P38
1990 Overfinch Classic

Post #622165 Wed Feb 23 2022 9:32pm
Farmer Chalk

I totally understand if a fitter does not wish to disclose locations…it is their tradecraft and the last thing they want is the common location becoming common knowledge.
I have no idea where the two are fitted to our cars and I really don’t want to know..

Post #622168 Wed Feb 23 2022 11:11pm
espy

Surely the whole idea of the Ghost is that it can be fitted just about anywhere in the car. If installers are using a common location, then it becomes as useless as the standard tracker as, once the scumbags out there manage to find the location on one car, they will know where to look on every other car in the area.

What I would like is for the installer to give me a choice of multiple possible places where it could go and for me to choose it and the installer not to keep any documentation on where it is.

As for it being their tradecraft, you could then argue that when you have the car serviced, they padlock the bonnet and say that nobody is allowed to service the car except for the original garage. 2020 SVR Santorini Black
2016 SVR Santorini Black
2009 SC Stornoway Grey
2005 SC Zermatt Silver
1999 P38
1990 Overfinch Classic

Post #622192 Thu Feb 24 2022 5:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>