Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Exhaust DPF Nearly full/full take to dealer advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Exhaust DPF Nearly full/full take to dealer advice

Hi all

Got the amber 'Exhaust Filter Nearly Full, see handbook' warning last night while picking up someone up. Wasn't in the position to take it for a blast so i dropped the person off, went home and an hour later took it for a blast on the motorway.

On the way i got the red 'full see dealer' warning, so it went from nearly full to full in a matter of a few miles (quick escalation!). It didn't go into limp mode or anything so decided to crack on.

Within a mile on the motorway in dynamic mode the red light turned to amber and within 10 more miles the amber light went out.

All good and everything, got in my car this morning and no warnings.

The question is, i've had the car 3 months and have never had any warnings, all of a sudden within a couple of hours had an amber and red warning. Anyone know what the thresholds are triggering these warnings? Because i took it for a good run would that have cleared it 100% or just down to below the threshold? I've got the gap tool, is there any way to check with that?

Sorry its long winded, thanks in advance! L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #614553 Wed Jun 09 2021 11:18am
abiopete

Just come across this thread https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48068.html which is an excellent write up, loads of information. L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #614557 Wed Jun 09 2021 11:44am
00by

I was reading through your post and was going to link to the exact thread that you've found in the mean time - it's an excellent thread!

Do you have a GAP IID tool? They're very useful for monitoring the situation.

Funnily enough I found that thread last week, and did a check on my soot levels.
Bearing in mind I've never had a DPF warning (amber or red), this is what I had:

First check - 15g. Most popular journeys I do is 16miles before returning an hour later, approx 75% fast A road/dual carriageway.

Second check - 17.5g. I had just driven 45 miles, 50/50 split between fast A road and motorway.

Third check - 5g. The same return journey later in the day.

Quite interesting, I've had the car for 3 years so assume my driving is generally deemed suitable for the DPF.
Sorry, can't add anything particularly useful, I'm just waffling! MY16 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic

Post #614568 Wed Jun 09 2021 1:19pm
abiopete

00by wrote:
I was reading through your post and was going to link to the exact thread that you've found in the mean time - it's an excellent thread!

Do you have a GAP IID tool? They're very useful for monitoring the situation.

Funnily enough I found that thread last week, and did a check on my soot levels.
Bearing in mind I've never had a DPF warning (amber or red), this is what I had:

First check - 15g. Most popular journeys I do is 16miles before returning an hour later, approx 75% fast A road/dual carriageway.

Second check - 17.5g. I had just driven 45 miles, 50/50 split between fast A road and motorway.

Third check - 5g. The same return journey later in the day.

Quite interesting, I've had the car for 3 years so assume my driving is generally deemed suitable for the DPF.
Sorry, can't add anything particularly useful, I'm just waffling!

I have an IID tool but cant figure out where the soot readings are, can you help?

Cheers,

Pete. L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)

Post #614569 Wed Jun 09 2021 1:48pm
00by

Sure - I had to update mine to the latest version first, I initially didn't have the option.

Then go to Live Values -> Select Live Values -> All

Then in the search box type in soot, and select "Diesel particulate filter soot concentration - Inferred using differential pressure"

Then view that and it will give you the reading. It's in the Engine section if you need to find it manually, I think. MY16 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic

Post #614571 Wed Jun 09 2021 1:52pm
abiopete

Excellent, thanks i'll give it a go on my way home L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)

Post #614575 Wed Jun 09 2021 2:02pm
Paynee

United Kingdom 

I dont have an IID tool - yet, does anyone know if you can monitor the DPF soot levels using snap on solus pro or Launch diagnostics, as I can get access to these.

Post #614673 Fri Jun 11 2021 1:45pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi Pete, have a look at this video on YouTube...

Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #614685 Fri Jun 11 2021 4:04pm
abiopete

00by wrote:
Sure - I had to update mine to the latest version first, I initially didn't have the option.

Then go to Live Values -> Select Live Values -> All

Then in the search box type in soot, and select "Diesel particulate filter soot concentration - Inferred using differential pressure"

Then view that and it will give you the reading. It's in the Engine section if you need to find it manually, I think.

Done this and its steadily been creeping up as expected, 17.9 as of this morning. Presume that's in g? It doesn't give a measurement unit. Do you know what level triggers a regen?

Do you find loads of things don't work on the Gap tool on the L494?

Cheers,

Pete. L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)

Post #614890 Fri Jun 18 2021 10:16am
00by

Yes that'll be in g. A regen is triggered at 17g I believe, but you need to have at least 1/4 tank of fuel and a speed of over 50mph - obviously the longer the better.

Fulfil those criteria on your next journey and the soot level should decrease!

What things are you finding that don't work? To be honest I've only used it for specific things I needed to do, and it's worked for all of those. MY16 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic

Post #614892 Fri Jun 18 2021 10:26am
abiopete

I can't remember specifically, just tried playing around with exhaust gas temps etc. Seems whatever i tried the reported value was always N/A.

Its only the inferred soot level seems to work. L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)

Post #614896 Fri Jun 18 2021 11:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1