RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Clipped a kerb and...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HXM

United Kingdom 
Clipped a kerb and...

Absolutely destroyed the front offside suspension Shocked

I’m still not quite sure how this could have happened, but it did. Clipped a kerb on a bend approx 30mph and snapped the upright, ripped out the driveshaft and everything in between. Currently being assessed as a potential total loss Embarassed

Edit: sorry not sure how to spin the photos MY15.5 HSE - SDV6 - Santorini Black

Post #611188 Tue Mar 09 2021 12:19am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Must be some size of kerbs where you stay, cos that's a steep hill your trying to go up.

Just kidding, hope you get it sorted

Post #611194 Tue Mar 09 2021 12:42am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Shock impact I suppose and that energy got to go somewhere. 30 is a decent speed against an angle though. Hope you get it sorted and it’s not a write off. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #611200 Tue Mar 09 2021 7:11am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Clipped a kerb and...

HXM wrote:
Currently being assessed as a potential total loss Embarassed

Why? It's hardly the biggest repair job in the world to replace a few suspension arms and associated odds and sods. Or has it done more damage elsewhere too? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #611209 Tue Mar 09 2021 10:12am
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Shocked Shocked Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #611210 Tue Mar 09 2021 10:56am
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

RRSTDV8 wrote:
HXM wrote:

Why? It's hardly the biggest repair job in the world to replace a few suspension arms and associated odds and sods. Or has it done more damage elsewhere too?

Exactly! look for a good independent workshop and after market part supllier RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #611220 Tue Mar 09 2021 1:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AlM

Australia 

My $0.02’s worth…. an impact that caused that much visible damage must have generated a significant (huge?) amount of energy. At least some of it was dissipated by the suspension members bending / breaking, but all of it before some of energy was transmitted to the drivetrain??? This is a long-winded way of saying that there could well be damage further upstream in the drivetrain. That might help explain why there was some initial speculation that the car is a write-off. MY21.5 HSE 221KW D16
Gone:
F15 30D X5
E70 30D X5
E53 30D X5
Jeep Grande Cherokee v8

Post #611254 Tue Mar 09 2021 9:52pm
dpg123

United Kingdom 

Did you get this sorted or did insurance write it off? Hope it's still with us!

Post #611917 Fri Mar 26 2021 11:36am
pjbracer1

England 

Hog wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
HXM wrote:

Why? It's hardly the biggest repair job in the world to replace a few suspension arms and associated odds and sods. Or has it done more damage elsewhere too?

Exactly! look for a good independent workshop and after market part supllier

Or even better getting the insurance to write it off then ask for the buy back on it then take to an Indy and pay to get it repaired still with some cash in ur pocket, buy soem XRP and litecoin and by the time you go to sell the car any depreciation that has happened due to normal age etc... but also that it CAT D or whatever they changed it too now, will have been covered by the insurance payout and the rise in your crypto investment!

Id defo look into a buy back if they write it off but I dont reckon they will as it will cost far more in the payout than getting that corner repaired unless the repairer over quotes to cash in.

Good luck If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #611937 Fri Mar 26 2021 5:13pm
pjbracer1

England 

Thing is there are 2 types of "write off" one is a physical loss as in it is just not repairable or safe to repair or the other is generally what happens is the insurance have some equations they apply (im sure someone more in the know can explain better) based on current book value, how much the repair is, and some look up table on likelihood of them having a second claim for an accident based on the most often type claimed etc...

the last time I had this type of conversation was when someone shunted into my merc and he said the write off limit is around the 50-60% of the vehicle value, using the insurers approved garages often means they have a deal going and fixed pricing for certain things, if you use your own or main dealer the chances are if it not straight forward fix and the car is ove 5 it will be a write off and the only winner is the salvage dealer who buys it and strips or repairs it!

For the beyond economical repair write usually works like this
You take the car to an indy or a main agent who know its an insrurance repair so will quote close to what they know they can get away with to get the work or nto if they dont want it and often if its not a quick turnaround job then the quote goes up as, time on the ramp is money and 1 job might mean 3 smaller more profitable jobs cant be done.
The quote goes back to the underwriter who looks at the figures and decides to go with it or not, then your insurer calls you with the bad news ask for their courtesy car back and then you have the argument ove the fact that they offer you dealer book vlaue when you are not a dealer or trading in so to try and replace is likely to cost a few extra bags, not too mention you need to tell insurers that you made a claim resulting in a writes off that was not non fault and will pay over the next 5yrs in extra premiums!

Sometime its worth putting your hand in your pocket and biting the bullet if its around 1k ish

PS i did the same with an old golf Gti when driving a little bit spirited and clipped a jutted out part of a traffic island, and did the same damage wish bone, track rods, drive shaft! My old man made me fix it myself (he did help) to make me learn my lesson!

Still not sure I did mind!

Hope it pans out mate If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #611943 Fri Mar 26 2021 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1