RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Sat Nav Updates - Lesson Learnt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRT

United Kingdom 
Sat Nav Updates - Lesson Learnt

I regularly successfully update my satnav on my 2017 RRS (widescreen) using a 64gb USB stick.

However I have experienced the same problem twice now and want to pass on the knowledge gained.

Rather than let the downloader delete the previous update, for some reason I delete the fold, however I have also been known to do a quick format using Windows 10.

On one occasion I was able to download the files to the newly formatted USB stick, this last time I got a message telling me the stick needs to be FAT32. Good old Windows 10 does not format to FAT32.

I found a free app to format to FAT32 and some time later had the stick formatted so I could download the new files.

Now to install the update, the first time the USB stick wasnt read, this second time the FAT32 was recognised and the old map was deleted before I got the error that the new files could not be read and no map installed!

So I purchased yet another new 64gb USB stick and downloaded the files again and then successfully installed them. (breath a sigh of relief).

LESSON LEARNT - do NOT format the USB stick as this will cause read issues. MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #610934 Wed Mar 03 2021 2:19pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I stupidly formatted my 64GB USB on my Win10 PC and turned it back into a 32 GB due to FAT32 restrictions.

A quick Google found a simple solution using the command prompt and a line of code (copied from the Google link) - I’m not that clever.

64GB restored for nothing in about 5 mins.

The latest update (yesterday) still fits on a 32 GB stick anyway.

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #610937 Wed Mar 03 2021 4:05pm
keith63

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Hiya Gents
Download a tool called "Partion Manager" free download
use this to format your USB / CF in any format you want

Post #610938 Wed Mar 03 2021 4:55pm
denny111

United Kingdom 

thanks for the info

Post #611006 Fri Mar 05 2021 11:19am
AlM

Australia 

How big is the update? My last X5 needed about 10GB to load the update. 64GB?!? That’s nuts! MY21.5 HSE 221KW D16
Gone:
F15 30D X5
E70 30D X5
E53 30D X5
Jeep Grande Cherokee v8

Post #611031 Fri Mar 05 2021 9:45pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

The update is circa 30gb takes me just over an hour to download to the USB. 64gb USB stick is cheap enough - under £10.

The upload to the sat nav takes about 20 - 30 mins MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #611032 Fri Mar 05 2021 9:49pm
Peterh

United Kingdom 

Where do you download the update from?

Post #611035 Fri Mar 05 2021 10:37pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

Downloaded from: https://www.landrover.here.com

Incontrol Subscription required MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #611066 Sat Mar 06 2021 6:00pm
pjbracer1

England 

https://www.aomeitech.com/download.html Choose Partition assistant

this works to reformat USB's to whatever format you want its a handy little tool and easy to use.

It's like partition manager so it does partitions as well as formats, handy for things like this as Window doesnt support anymore than 32GB in Fat32, to be fair to Windows though Fat32 is outdated so I understand why but for things like this its annoying!

Good luck and make sure you are around so the car doesnt shut down during, Ive heard issues with this, you would think that LR would have coded a non shutdown of systems when an update has been triggerd, but I guss they dont really want us to do it and would rather charge for it during a service! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Last edited by pjbracer1 on Sun Mar 07 2021 11:21am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #611076 Sat Mar 06 2021 8:59pm
bmszabo

Netherlands 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Don't want to troll the topic -but 'updating' Satnav on the RR is a waste of time, money and energy. Navigation on our (very loved!) RRs is fundamentally bad, confusing and useless.
After years of hoping for a better version I have installed an Android Auto aftermarket car module -and all my problems are solved; good, reliable (inc traffic and speed traps!) navigation, always update; I should have done this much earlier!
Excuse again for off-topic; but just my 2c.

Post #611086 Sat Mar 06 2021 11:16pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

bmszabo - I agree with the older narrow screen units, but with the wide screen satnav I feel it is worth the effort. MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #611094 Sun Mar 07 2021 11:22am
pjbracer1

England 

It depends n where you get the new maps from though I downloaded a copy and then found someone who for a small fee will create the install code you need for a lot less I think its was €74 they need the vin to create the code for the install.

I got bored looking into how to crack this code as Im sure it possible to generate yourself, it must be possible to do as its
only 8 digits Alpha Numeric If I could work it out id do it for much less for forum members if I could!

Edit**** this was the guy I used,

http://www.carnavigations.ga/

I kinda agree Ive been looking at the aftermarket Android unit as an upgrade as I like the idea of screen mirroring the iphone for things like Spotify or Plex but not sold on the SatNAV part if im honest, whilst its more up to date Im guessing it needs some form of data connection which could pose a porblem when in an area and coverage is low, unless it piggy backs off the car builit in aerials and use its roof mounted GPS antenna?

Only reason im sceptical is in London or some of the cities with lots of old solid building the data signal can be poor and that will be the one time you need the SATNAV for more detail on street names etc.... and the droid one might not be as relyable.

Im 65% sold on one but they are not the cheapest upgrade and there are a few of them around so confusing to pick the best.

https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/land-rover-g...-706-p.asp

https://www.latestsatnav.co.uk/latest-2020...-620-p.asp

This lots arent bad if you have the USB and good enough internet

and this guy Ive used in the past for my last RRS1 he is more expensive but its the full thing so the USB and all

https://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/2020-21-L...p122222095

Stupid thing is if LR charged a simple price and actually issued them on a regular basis we woldnt need to go to these lengths but they charge around £169.00 plus shipping and they are not the one creating the maps they just resell them! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #611095 Sun Mar 07 2021 11:43am
bmszabo

Again, off-topic; but wanted to reflect to a few considerations in your post:
"needs some form of data connection which could pose a porblem when in an area and coverage is low, unless it piggy backs off the car builit in aerials and use its roof mounted GPS antenna?

Only reason im sceptical is in London or some of the cities with lots of old solid building the data signal can be poor and that will be the one time you need the SATNAV for more detail on street names etc.... and the droid one might not be as relyable
."

I had exactly the same sceptical thoughts with the Android Auto aftermarket unit, but it turned out to be better than expected. I use an "IDCore" unit from Unique Auto developments (https://unique-ad.co.uk/); great company, very supporting with issues; this unit does NOT have an external GPS antenna, but uses the built-in GPS of my phone (Galaxy S10+). I keep my phone on a wireless charger mat on the cradle (see pic) and the GPS signal (with sunroof in the car) is always fine.

My other doubt was indeed data connection (I do long trips on German highways, data connection is often lost for a while). I have found 3 good candidates for AA navigation software: Google Maps, Amigo (online version of Tom-tom) and Sygic (beta). Gmap and Amigo are internet connection dependent (however, they have quite a big buffer to bridge lost data connection), but Sygic has a local map storage option, where you can download maps of a country/ Europe/ world; providing reliable navigation even if data connection is (or expected to be) fully lost.

So, altogether I cannot see any reason to go back to factory Satnav of LR; this setup works reliably in all situations and offers (much) more possibilities, extras (Sygic, but especially Amigo has a very fine speed limit, speed traps warning system!) than the factory navigation.

Post #611150 Mon Mar 08 2021 9:10am
vandeheide

Jersey 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Unique after market android unit

May I enquire what price the Unique after market module was?
I was lookig to upgrade my existing map but I have to have an In Control subscription before the cost of the map is included.
I would prefer to have realtime traffic news on my satnav like Google maps or Amigo
Thanks & regards Paul

Post #615263 Tue Jun 29 2021 2:23pm
bmszabo

Price listed on their site is £ 550 (https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-interface-for-range-rover-l405-and-range-rover-sport-l494/#reviews). I think I have paid about the same amount; including montage of the unit I paid about eur 800 to a local service. Good luck with it, I am still very-very satisfied with this unit!
PS: in the meanwhile AA gets beter, Sygic and TomTom both offer good offline GPS navigation (with downloaded maps). Travelled through Europe, never got lost -yet.. Wink)

Post #615265 Tue Jun 29 2021 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>