Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Supercharged AB vs SVR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Canary

England 

Colossus1 wrote:
Canary wrote:

The V8 roar is plenty noise and extremely satisfying at all speeds and coasts like an angel on the motorway 9 hours at a time, plus rear seat entertainment is not available with the SVR and is a great diversion when swapping driving with the Mrs.

How does the noise compare with your earlier models? I know the new SVRs are quieter due to the particulate filter but wondered whether there was a similar effect on the new S/C V8? My current '13 plate S/C V8 sounds fabulous and is pitched perfectly for the sort of car it is, wouldn't want that to be toned down significantly with the PF that will now be installed.

The week I got the car a sensor failed in the exhaust LrA came out to fix, the engineer confirmed that the Gasoline particulate filter wasn't fitted to the MY18 car so my car doesnt sound any quiter than my earlier cars which I'm mightily happy about, my takeaway from that is if the newer SVR is muted compared to its previous year then perhaps its not far off from sounding not too dissimilar, but that's not from experience and just a passing thought. Its a beautiful engine either way and shows its MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect ๐Ÿ‘
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #602499 Thu Jul 30 2020 2:26pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

[quote="Colossus1"]

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Colossus1 wrote:

If you want to have sports car handling, drive a sports car. Thumbs Up

Or get an SVR by all accounts!

This is my point, I have a sports car and want my Range Rover to do what Range Rovers do best,

If you think the SCV8 is "a bit soft" then don't try a real Range Rover. The rolly polly nature will make you sea sick. Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #602503 Thu Jul 30 2020 2:51pm
Renaco

Germany 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Colossus1 wrote:
Even in Dynamic mode at the legal limit on a twisty A road the S/C V8 starts to get untidy and body control is not great. Yes it can go round at that speed and above but the point is that it is not a very stable when doing so and as such a better resolved suspension would make the corners a better experience. It sounds like the SVR offers that but with the compromise of a much firmer ride.

It's a tall 2.5t SUV with long travel suspension designed to allow it to be hugely capable off road. It's always going to be a compromise on road.

If you want to have sports car handling, drive a sports car. Thumbs Up

He wants a comfy car what offers a more direct and responsive setup in dynamic mode.
Itโ€™s not the 2.5 tons, itโ€™s the setup. My L320 had 2.7 tons an in dynamic it was a perfect an firm ride, the L494 canโ€™t offer the same.
Sure the next generation will be better. 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #602556 Fri Jul 31 2020 4:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Steering response can be markedly affected by tyre choice. Same car with different tyres can feel very different with one being responsive, the other not. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #602565 Fri Jul 31 2020 5:00pm
Renaco

Germany 

True, but for the L494 itโ€™s not enough, itโ€™s the suspension.
Tires and pressures are my 1st tool to adjust the balance of my cars.
I had 3 L494 and I was wondering why the P400e was more responsive and direct without having the real dynamic response.
The answer from my garage, the P400e have the same suspension bushes and setup as the SVR, to compensate the extra weight for the body roll of the high positioned batteries in the boot.

So, if I could choose, I would like my P525 combined with the p400e suspension, it was as comfortable and direct at any speed. 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #602593 Sat Aug 01 2020 8:26am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
One wonders where in the UK you're driving these things that you're finding them "too soft when pressing on". On 55-profile AT tyres with TR in dynamic mode and the 'box in S, my old SDV6 can cover ground at a silly rate and do a decent job of taking corners at speeds that, frankly, are criminal and would quite probably be fatal if it goes awry. How much more cornering speed do you need? I can see the attraction of the shove in the back, especially passing dawdling traffic, but as someone who spends a lot of time travelling quickly on A and B roads, I'm not sure how much more cornering speed one would need.

Interesting question - do 320s handle better than a 494 when driven with a high level of enthusiasm? - I tend to agree with you, there's precious few places on roads where I think I could sensibly find the limits of our V6 without danger to life and license and I don't hang about given the chance.

track day or the 'ring and then it would be a different story but you've rather missed the point of a RRS if you take to the track without using the infield as a short cut.

That said I love reading these conversations as it just opens my eyes to the fact there is a totally different world out there. I'd dearly love to be in a position where I was having to weigh up the challenges of insurance for an SVR and blocking in my pride and joy on the drive. Don't lose site of the position you guys are in! 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #602712 Tue Aug 04 2020 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12