RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cracked inlet manifold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Phil2k

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
Cracked inlet manifold

As the title says, it happened 31 days after purchase and the garage are being funny, had quotes around 1.5k for both doing. Do you think the garage I bought it from are in breach of consumer rights

Post #602123 Fri Jul 24 2020 3:59pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The garage is liable, I would say. Although if only one has cracked, you can only expect them to replace that one, not both.

£1.5k seems ball park for both. Manifolds are about £250 each and it's a day's work to replace them both. Lots has to be taken off/put back on when doing them.

I'm not a lawyer, so any legal advice from me has no weight. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #602126 Fri Jul 24 2020 5:02pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Isn’t a 6 month warranty mandatory from traders.

Post #602127 Fri Jul 24 2020 5:27pm
Mathewdowns

United Kingdom 

Think 3 months is the mandatory length from dealer but I could also be wrong!
Happened to me too, they replaced it with no issue and all was good..... hindsight I should have had other done at same time so if you can add/pay for second I would.

Post #602132 Fri Jul 24 2020 8:42pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Andy K wrote:
Isn’t a 6 month warranty mandatory from traders.

3 month warranty, 6 month "fit for purpose " Thumbs Up

Post #602137 Fri Jul 24 2020 10:02pm
Phil2k

Independent dealers don't have to give any warranty. But consumer rights trumps all. Just going to have to wait to see what he says

Post #602138 Fri Jul 24 2020 10:11pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There is no "wait for him to say". It's an issue he has to fix. If he tries to say otherwise, get Trading Standards involved.

Take no Censored . 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #602141 Sat Jul 25 2020 1:39am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

When you say "being funny", what exactly do you mean?
Are they refusing to engage? Are they disputing the cost? Are they saying they will only pay for one when you want both replacing? Are they say they want to do it themselves/use their own garage? Have they given you a third party warranty? Does that third party warranty cover the fault?
The more information you can give, the better we can help you Thumbs Up
Have a look at the Consumer Rights Act 2015
Have a look here;
https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-legal-ri...%20faulty.
Good luck

Post #602147 Sat Jul 25 2020 8:26am
Phil2k

I phoned him and told him about it and he said I'd have to get the car to his garage, I paid a guy to transport it there then phoned him next morning to confirm he had the car etc, then he said I'll get it to the garage and come back with a price. I said “what do you mean, come back with a price?" his reply was" well you don't expect me to pay for it do you? " to which I replied" yes" then a bit of arguing back and forth went on, his final reply was leave it with me. I will phone again Monday afternoon to see where he is up to

Post #602148 Sat Jul 25 2020 8:36am
andyslandy

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Tonga Green

I'd be contacting trading standards Monday morning first thing to get the right information and rights in your ammo box ready for when you contact him. I had to do this last year when I bought an Evoque from a dealer in Weatherby and the sales manager tried to turn nasty until I informed him what I had been told that earlier by TS, surprisingly backed down straight away and coughed up. HTH.

Post #602160 Sat Jul 25 2020 10:42am
Phil2k

I've already spoken to citizens advice, gone over the consumer rights act again and again. It states in the 1st 6 months its upto the garage to prove the fault was not there when he sold the car. And in fairness it only started playing up afterwards. But my argument is its a manifacturing defect so has been there since the engine was assembled. I have a copy of the service buliten that describes the defect and how to rectify.

Post #602167 Sat Jul 25 2020 12:07pm
wilf

I would not mention anything about it being a "known defect". Some aftermarket warranties have used this as an escape clause.

Doesn't matter anyway - ANY fault that appears within 6 months of purchase is down to the supplying dealer to fix. So called "3 month warranties" are just trying to do you out of your consumer rights, or shift costs from the supplying dealer onto the warranty (aka insurance) company.

He would be within his rights to only fix the broken one, not replace both, unless you come to an arrangement to pay any additional costs to do so. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #602198 Sat Jul 25 2020 3:43pm
Phil2k

I'm not going down the warranty route consumer rights is what I'm fighting. I bought from a garage to give me some peice of mind in situations like this. I could of saved a couple of thousand buying private. I'll phone him Monday morning and see where we are at. Then if he refuses to sort I'll be contacting trading standards. I know it's not his fault this has happened he had no way of knowing, it's just unfortunate but that's all part and parcel of being a used car dealer

Post #602201 Sat Jul 25 2020 4:00pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

If you bought the car on finance, or paid even the deposit on a credit card, you may also have s75 of the Consumer Credit Act on your side.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/re...credit-act
I did the same when I bought my RRS, buying from a dealer for the same reason as you. Fortunately I didn't have the issues you have.
I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Post #602217 Sun Jul 26 2020 7:49am
Phil2k

Me too. If he doesn't sort it I will take the car to Land rover and get them to fix it and chase him for the money. Im going to call this morning and record the call. If he doesn't agree to sort it I will be sending this email

Dennis

I am writing just to see where we go next with the car.

I purchased the car on the 14th June 2020 for £17999, and came to collect the car on the 18th June 2020.

I was impressed with the car and the car was fine until day 31 when a warning appeared on the dash saying “Restricted Performance mode”

I phoned you on day 32 ( 20th July at 17:57 ) to let you know about the issues and that I had left the car at the local independent garage, to which you replied “let me know what they say”

I received a call on the 21st July from the garage telling me that the passenger side inlet manifold had split and it was a common problem and it will cost £1000 to repair one side or £1500 for both.

I phoned you the same day to let you know about the fault and costs, you said I should of taken out the warranty. I asked if I was covered by your warranty and your reply was yes but id need to get the car to you, you also asked me to get some local quotes which I did.

I then arranged for a courier to collect the car on the 23rd July and deliver it to yourself at a cost of £260.

Our next conversation was on the 24th of July at 10:56 am, I asked if you had received the car and you replied yes and you will get back to me with the price for the repair. I asked why are you giving me the price? Your answer was “you don’t expect me to pay do you” after a bit of an argument you said leave it with me.

i just want to confirm a few things

By not repairing the car you are in breach of the consumer rights act 2015

Under the new act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days.

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.

It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.
Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund.
In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle.

The fact landrover issued a service bulletin regarding this issue stating the original part had a manufacturing defect, shows the fault has been there since the vehicle left the assembly line.

the only reason I bought from a dealer and not private is so I had some sort of protection. If I had gone private I could of picked up the car for much less.

I have enclosed the service bulletin for you and also Car Traders and Consumer Law Guidance for Dealerships. Id like to draw your attention to section 9

I look forward to your response

https://www.businesscompanion.info/sites/d...-draft.pdf

Post #602276 Mon Jul 27 2020 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>