RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Is it worth tarting it up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wilpert

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Is it worth tarting it up.

I’ve recently bought a full fat sdv8 which is in the dock already after just 2 weeks of ownership.
Nothing too sinister it was just a fuel lift pump and oil sensor so it’s being fixed as I type.

Anyway, that one was for my missus and it’s a lovely car with low mileage, so I hope to get many years of happy motoring.

Now, I’m still the proud owner of a tdv8 rr sport, I’ve had it 6 years and it’s covered 163,000 miles.
It has a full main dealer HST body kit but the whole car is looking well tired.

I’m guessing it’s worth about 4K if I sold it to a friend and tbh I doubt anybody who didn’t know me would buy it for fear of taking on a liability.
It really has been well looked after mechanically, service’s yearly, turbos replaces, wishbones, air suspension pump, handbrake actuator. All the foibles sorted at least once.

So do I keep running it and just let it grind to a halt. Or is it worth pimping it up, paint job, wheels etc and keeping it for a few. Ore years. It’s been a really good car to me and it’s got the perfect balance of comfort and power.

Has anybody else done such a thing with an old car like this. How much spend is too much?

Post #601666 Mon Jul 13 2020 8:39pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd keep it. I wish I'd kept my similarly well used TDV8 when I bought my current SDV6 but I'd just started a business and couldn't justify having it on the drive. Had it been today, I'd have kept it. I sold mine for £5k with 175,000 miles on it. Same as yours - full history with a very large pile of receipts for the TLC given to it. It looked a bit shabby externally but the oily bits were always looked after.

If you don't need to sell it, don't. Thumbs Up

I'm not sure I'd try to tart it up either. A bit of patina isn't a bad thing - shiny refurb jobs always look a bit, well, fake to my eyes. Like they're trying to hide something.

With care, no reason why you shouldn't get yours to 250,000 miles. There's a challenge for you. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #601674 Mon Jul 13 2020 9:49pm
wilpert

Thinking the same atm.
Reasoning is that I have the full fat sdv8 which is super low miles, my. Ouster gts, Arian super low miles and there are days when I need to do a bit of a journey, so I can jump in the old beast and use that.

I may tell you something else in a few days as it’s due a service in a few days, if it needs a big expenditure I may think again. Although I’ll most likely get it sorted. Every mile on this is a mile saved on the other cars and it helps to keep the value up.
Plus my insurance on the rr is only 260 a year.

Post #601716 Tue Jul 14 2020 8:15pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Keep it, its worth more to you driving and its not worth the selling. If it dies, strip it for parts. I've a slightly older similar mileage vehicle that as long as I can keep it passing MOTs I've no intention of selling.

Post #601719 Tue Jul 14 2020 9:19pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Keep it and invest in it if it does throw a big bill. Mines low mileage but an aged car and it was an easy decision for us back in March for its big service and replacement of a few worn out parts. Ours is a keeper and it’s going nowhere Thumbs Up 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #601725 Wed Jul 15 2020 6:24am
mgrover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

always worth keeping it in good knick imo. but i do wonder are they one of those cars that if you don't drive em, they will break.

Post #601734 Wed Jul 15 2020 11:39am
wilpert

This couldnt happen,

having said all of the above, Im driving into Blackwall tunnel today and I hear a pop, like a "drive by shooting" now my suspension amber warning light is on, do suspension airbags go pop?
If yes, then what sort of a job could I be in for and is it safe to carry on driving?

I feel I have created a jinx on the car Crying or Very sad

Post #601741 Wed Jul 15 2020 1:00pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I haven’t done it myself but it’s about £250ish a corner. I think Kev on here has changed his own and it’s not any harder than normal.

Q Kev....... Thumbs Up 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #601743 Wed Jul 15 2020 1:44pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

wilpert wrote:

having said all of the above, Im driving into Blackwall tunnel today and I hear a pop, like a "drive by shooting" now my suspension amber warning light is on, do suspension airbags go pop?

Don't know where you live but if you're going through Blackwall Tunnel, LRR are a good indy nearby in Charlton.

Post #601747 Wed Jul 15 2020 2:01pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

wilpert wrote:
This couldnt happen,

If yes, then what sort of a job could I be in for and is it safe to carry on driving?

I feel I have created a jinx on the car Crying or Very sad

The airbags are pretty robust and failure is rare, it seems. If the airbag had failed, I'd have expected the suspension to do odd things as it wouldn't be supported at one corner. A light on the dash could be one of many things.

The airbags can be changed but as you're taking the whole strut out to do it, replacing the whole strut would be more cost effective. Of course, changing one damper means changing both on the axle, but at that mileage, they're probably worth doing anyway. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #601749 Wed Jul 15 2020 3:10pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

As Steve mentioned above, I changed all of mine front and rear. Those were the complete strut and air spring assemblies at about 95k and it transformed the ride.

It's a lot easier than a normal car because you don't need to mess around with spring compressors.

In a nutshell, to remove:
Remove the air suspension fuses.
Let the air out of the air spring.
Three nuts on the top.
One bolt at the bottom.
Then remove and install the new one.

I'd say 45 mins a corner if all goes well.

As Wayne mentions, at that kind of mileage they are probably worth doing anyway, especially the fronts as they get the most abuse. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #601769 Wed Jul 15 2020 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1