Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Ouch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Smarttech wrote:
I'm guessing that was at a main dealer for that price ?

No, it's at an indie but using genuine parts. They do use aftermarket parts for some stuff but the compressor is genuine so has the LR markup.

Even if it was the same price as a main dealer, I'd still use them in preference to a main dealer. Main dealers are shockingly bad.

Just added up the items on the invoice - the service came to £440 incl the VAT. That's the service items (air filter, cabin filters, fuel filter, oil and filter) and the labour all in.

The compressor alone is 681.33 + VAT so over £800 just for the part. That's LR price for an LR part, sadly. £80 + VAT to fit it. So half of the bill is one that one item.

Also bear in mind that of the total price of 1929.41, £321.57 goes to the Government in the form of VAT. Censored

The kicker is that the vehicle is at that age (95k miles) where stuff starts to need to be done. It's the expensive period that we all know and love - recently had the lower front arms done, for example, and had the inlet manifolds changed after one cracked leading to reduced performance. Belts were done at an earlier service when the vehicle was 7 years old.

Fingers crossed for a quiet period on the "bits needing doing to the RRS" front... Big Cry

Just had a look at my B service costs from last March - I use a local indie. Actual Service was
labour = £171
Parts = £71.38
Lubricants = £68.00
Total = £310.38
VAT = £62.07
Total = 372.45
In addition I had an MoT and new rear pads (parts = £31.44 + labour £42.75 + vat). Total for everything was £516.33

I'm on 91k so I guess I can expect the ouch factor to kick in any time soon Sad Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #589480 Wed Oct 30 2019 10:01am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ouch indeed particularly on the cost of the compressor but I have to ask why you went for an LR badged one? AMKs can be got for around £170 (inc VAT & Next Day Delivery) and Hitachi for £140 or £160 with a kit (eBay) and are the exact same bits of kit.

Post #589488 Wed Oct 30 2019 12:45pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

No they can't. Cheap AMK/Hitachi knock offs can be had for that money, but the are worse than Censored

Post #589490 Wed Oct 30 2019 1:35pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black
Re: Ouch

aaronjb wrote:

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Had a big bill today too, though not car repairs, thankfully Shocked

It doesn't count when it's offset against corporation tax and used to earn an income, you know Razz Laughing (What I used to tell myself when I was self employed, anyway!)

We get the VAT back, and it is a business expense, so comes off my tax bill at the end of the year, which helps Laughing

Post #589491 Wed Oct 30 2019 1:41pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Pufftmw wrote:
Ouch indeed particularly on the cost of the compressor but I have to ask why you went for an LR badged one? AMKs can be got for around £170 (inc VAT & Next Day Delivery) and Hitachi for £140 or £160 with a kit (eBay) and are the exact same bits of kit.

I got a phone call saying "it's the compressor" so agreed to it being replaced. Whilst I might have been able to get a cheaper one, the delay would have been annoying, as would the risk of a cheap alternative not lasting so long - as D_M points out.

I expect to keep the vehicle for some time yet and it's my daily driver / work vehicle. It needs to be reliable so I don't need the hassle of a replacement needing replacing in short order, if that makes sense.

If it was a low use / second vehicle / play vehicle, then I might have tried to save a few quid. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #589493 Wed Oct 30 2019 2:45pm
Lee1977

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Smarttech,

What indie are you using as i am looking for one and prepared to travel for recommendations!!

Regards,
Lee Current RRS MY2012 HSE Lux 3.0 SDV6 Orkney Grey
Gone Audi A6 Salon 2.ltr Black Edition Daytona Grey- disappointing needs 6 cylinders
Gone RRS MY2010 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Stornoway Grey - written off!!
Gone BMW 330d M Sport - Epic engine still missed

Post #589523 Thu Oct 31 2019 8:10am
HughN

Wales 

I think Smarttech isn't too far from me, but he can't be complaining about our most local indie - I know he's on holiday (the first in three years)! Laughing

Post #589526 Thu Oct 31 2019 8:57am
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

I have no complaints about my Indy as it was just a missed vacuum pipe. They came out to my house collected the car fix the fault and returned it by lunchtime.

No sure who you use but mine was done a Thatched Garage. The Man for Land Rover just past uckfield on the A22.
They have looked after my car since I bought it 3 years ago and always had great service at a decent price. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #589606 Thu Oct 31 2019 10:10pm
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

Lee1977 wrote:
Smarttech,

What indie are you using as i am looking for one and prepared to travel for recommendations!!

Regards,
Lee
https://www.thethatchedgarage.com
This is who I use and I would recommend them as always great service and good value. 2017 SVR. SVO Scafell grey Ebony interior
2012 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography santorini black with ebony/cirrus interior. Gone

Post #589608 Thu Oct 31 2019 10:13pm
Lee1977

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Thanks Smarttech,

I have had a look at the website and will give them a call when mine is coming up for a service.

Regards,
Lee Current RRS MY2012 HSE Lux 3.0 SDV6 Orkney Grey
Gone Audi A6 Salon 2.ltr Black Edition Daytona Grey- disappointing needs 6 cylinders
Gone RRS MY2010 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Stornoway Grey - written off!!
Gone BMW 330d M Sport - Epic engine still missed

Post #589624 Fri Nov 01 2019 7:51am
Eaters

I've used the Thatched Garage before and found them to be good. I had my remote start heater installed by them.

However, these days I tend to use Groombridges at Heathfield. They deal with nothing but Land Rovers, have many years of experience and are the sort of place you can go to with a problem and they'll be honest with you about whats wrong and what it will take to fix including fixing the minor stuff for you on the spot and then saying there's no charge. And they can provide a courtesy car if you want - at no charge.

Proper traditional garage. A bit weird because its down a lane and hidden behind a bungalow - but don't let that put you off!

https://www.groombridgesussex.co.uk/ Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #589625 Fri Nov 01 2019 8:26am
wilf

Cyril Groombridge (is he still alive?), the founder of Groombridges, was an absolute fount of LR knowledge - all the local dealers used to refer to him back in the day. My wife's Deafener used to go to him 30 odd years ago, good to see the business continues. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #589629 Fri Nov 01 2019 9:19am
HughN

Wales 

Smarttech wrote:
I have no complaints about my Indy as it was just a missed vacuum pipe. They came out to my house collected the car fix the fault and returned it by lunchtime.

No sure who you use but mine was done a Thatched Garage. The Man for Land Rover just past uckfield on the A22.
They have looked after my car since I bought it 3 years ago and always had great service at a decent price.

Ah, OK. I thought you were much further west. Thumbs Up

Post #589630 Fri Nov 01 2019 9:22am
Eaters

wilf wrote:
Cyril Groombridge (is he still alive?), the founder of Groombridges, was an absolute fount of LR knowledge - all the local dealers used to refer to him back in the day. My wife's Deafener used to go to him 30 odd years ago, good to see the business continues.

Think Cyril passed away in 2012 but the business carries on.

And you're right about their knowledge. When I had a problem with tyre wear and wander on the RRS, my local garage (with a good track record) tried everything to sort it out without success. It was just by chance that I discovered that they were calling Groombridges for advice because they had run out of ideas! And by the way Groombridges did fix the tyre wear and wander issue! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #589631 Fri Nov 01 2019 9:36am
Pelyma

England 

HughN wrote:
Smarttech wrote:

They have looked after my car since I bought it 3 years ago and always had great service at a decent price.

Ah, OK. I thought you were much further west. Thumbs Up

Who do you use Hugh? Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #589633 Fri Nov 01 2019 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12