RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Technical Help Needed with Heated Steering Wheel Upgrade!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
Technical Help Needed with Heated Steering Wheel Upgrade!

Hi there,

I am a bit stuck with upgrading my 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Black edition to a heated steering wheel and would really appreciate some assistance from you knowledgeable guys please.

The story so far:

I purchased a used heated steering wheel from a 2012 Range Rover Sport complete with the switch packs. I also purchased a used clock spring with the heated steering wheel connectors also from a 2012 Range Rover Sport but not from the same car.

I disconnected the battery and fitted the replacement clock spring and the heated steering wheel and checked all the connections carefully as I went. So far, so good.

When I started the car, none of the switch pack functions were working and I got an airbag error message?

To try and trouble shoot the problem, I removed the replacement clock spring, put my old clock spring back in but refitted the heated steering wheel (obviously without the heated steering wheel cable connections). All the functions on the heated steering wheel now work on both switch packs and the airbag error has gone.

So it seems that the replacement clock spring I purchased with the heated steering wheel connections is not compatible with either my car or the heated steering wheel.

Not sure where to go from here? Below are all the part numbers for my original parts and the replacement parts. Can anyone suggest how to resolve this issue? I think that I need a new replacement clock spring which is compatible with both the car and the heated steering wheel. Any idea of the part number I should be looking for?

1. I purchased a used heated steering wheel complete switch packs. The part number is CH32-3600-FA8PVJ and the date on the label is 23/08/2012.The two switch pack numbers are CH32-13D767-DA-1 and CH32-13D767-AA-1.

2. My existing steering wheel part number is CH32-3600-BA dated 01/03/2013. The two switch pack part numbers are CH32-13D767-CA-2 and CH32-13D767-AA-1.

3. I purchased a used clock spring with the heated steering wheel connectors. The part number is 9H22-14A664-AA *UG 11 251 0043 0*

4. My existing clock spring (without the heated steering wheel connectors) is YRC500080 UG 12 314 0694 d*

Can some kind person please help as I am now stuck!!!!

Thanks Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #530258 Thu Jul 13 2017 4:23pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

As far as im aware there are only 2 different clock springs, heated and non heated. 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #530262 Thu Jul 13 2017 4:46pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

If all the Multi Plug connectors were fitted and pushed fully home I am inclined to think the Clockspring you bought is suspect. As Buckster said there is only One Clockspring listed for a Heated Steering Wheel on a Sport Part No. LR018556

Cheers
Col

Post #530263 Thu Jul 13 2017 5:43pm
Evo5man

Thanks Buckster and Col,

I too am thinking the clock spring is faulty. I did check all the connectors and they were all fully home. I will return the clock spring to the supplier and look for another. But before I did that, I just wanted to check that there were not any clock spring changes with Model Years or compatibility issues.

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Steve

Post #530265 Thu Jul 13 2017 5:56pm
Evo5man

Good News Col & Buckster!

Got a refund on the previous clock spring and a replacement arrived today. Now all installed and I have a very nice warm steering wheel! Not really needed this time of year but I am sure I will appreciate it come the winter.

Thanks for all your help and advice Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Steve

Post #530685 Tue Jul 18 2017 9:21pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

No worries Steve, glad you got it sorted. I have to say it is the best mod i have done, on a cold winters morning its awesome Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #530688 Tue Jul 18 2017 9:49pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Glad you sorted it, but can you enlighten me as to what a 'clock spring' is/does in this context?

Post #530689 Tue Jul 18 2017 9:52pm
Evo5man

I can give you a basic explanation of a clock spring but others could probably give you a much better technical explanation!

The clock spring sits behind the steering wheel and connects the wiring loom connections to the steering wheel switches and air bag while still allows the steering wheel to turn.

If you want to upgrade from a non-heated steering wheel to a heated one, in addition to changing the steering wheel you will probably need to change the clock spring too. The standard clock spring does not have the power connections for the heated steering wheel, even though the power connector is present in the loom (it is wrapped in foam).

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers,

Steve

Post #530690 Tue Jul 18 2017 10:03pm
Col

Evo5man wrote:
Good News Col & Buckster!

Got a refund on the previous clock spring and a replacement arrived today. Now all installed and I have a very nice warm steering wheel! Not really needed this time of year but I am sure I will appreciate it come the winter.

Thanks for all your help and advice Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Steve

Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #530696 Tue Jul 18 2017 11:19pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Evo5man wrote:
I can give you a basic explanation of a clock spring but others could probably give you a much better technical explanation!

The clock spring sits behind the steering wheel and connects the wiring loom connections to the steering wheel switches and air bag while still allows the steering wheel to turn.

If you want to upgrade from a non-heated steering wheel to a heated one, in addition to changing the steering wheel you will probably need to change the clock spring too. The standard clock spring does not have the power connections for the heated steering wheel, even though the power connector is present in the loom (it is wrapped in foam).

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks! Yes, it makes perfect sense. I presume that it looks a bit like a clock spring, hence the name.

Post #530702 Wed Jul 19 2017 8:49am
Col

Not sure if it looks like a clockspring or not to be fair Laughing

Cheers
Col

Post #530706 Wed Jul 19 2017 8:57am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

The cars must be driven by clockwork, then, that's the only possible explanation! Laughing That silver coloured pipe at the back is probably where you insert the key. Rolling Eyes

Post #530711 Wed Jul 19 2017 9:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1