RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Ride Quality MY17
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Clock

United Kingdom 
Ride Quality MY17

The ride quality of our new RRS is not great, you feel every bump in the road, driving over sleeping policemen is a nightmare. Our previous car (disco 3) was much better.
The ride quality was not helped by the dealer setting the tyre pressures to 10psi over the recommended.
I realise that this is a sport and may have harder suspension settings.
There are no fault messages showing so I am wondering if the SDV6 HSE is just harsh or another visit to the dealer is needed.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post #522427 Fri Mar 31 2017 2:40pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Strange! I was given an MY17 autobiography to borrow for a couple of weeks and it was way smoother than my MY15 RRS - in fact it was so smooth the kids were comparing it to another friends Rolls Royce Ghost! I think you may have a suspension issue?

Post #522428 Fri Mar 31 2017 2:55pm
crocs

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

I've just changed from a MY12 and the improvement is quite marked. New one is much smoother.

Robert

Post #522431 Fri Mar 31 2017 4:13pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

are you running 22" wheels?

ride will be much harsher than the d3 over bumps Sophie Alltoft

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #522433 Fri Mar 31 2017 4:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Clock

United Kingdom 

There are standard 20", the car is not the dynamic version.

Post #522439 Fri Mar 31 2017 5:30pm
wilf

Tyre pressures - are they up on the "heavy load" figures? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #522468 Fri Mar 31 2017 8:55pm
Clock

United Kingdom 

The tyre pressures are set to 1 psi below the recommended light load in order to try and help, I don't want to reduce them anymore.

The ride height air suspension moves up and down so I guess that is working, I think it I will need a trip to the dealer, whom I suspect will be difficult to convince.

Post #522492 Fri Mar 31 2017 11:01pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Clock, I agree with you. I have a 2014 SDV6 HSE and one of the reasons I bought the plain vanilla HSE was because it had 20" wheels rather than 21" or 22" of the Dynamic and Autobiography models but overall I have been slightly disappointed with the ride quality. On the plus side, the car feels very composed (despite not being the Dynamic) but the suspension doesnt handle ruts and potholes very well. I think this is as much a characteristic of air suspension as anything else because previous Audis and Mercs I've had with air suspension have been similar although, having said that, my previous L322 FFRR was better but it didnt have the body composure of my current RRS

I test drove a new FFRR the other day and whilst it rode better than my RRS, it didnt handle as well. FWIW I have also recently test driven a new RRS Dynamic with 21" wheels and actually the ride wasn't much different from my HSE with 20" wheels and certainly it handled better than the FFRR. So its a trade off and I guess its a trade off I'm prepared to make because I'm about to order a new RRS

Post #522546 Sat Apr 01 2017 4:55pm
Clock

United Kingdom 

It may be that is how JLR has tweaked the system, making it a harder ride as it is a "sport" but my Disco 3 has air suspension and the ride is miles better than the RRS (although not at cornering!)

I thought the whole idea of having an active suspension is that it can react to driving style, mode and conditions so giving a smooth ride and just firming up one side etc where cornering and braking.

I will take it back to the dealer but as few people on the forum have come back to say the ride is wonderful I think it is what it is.

Post #522553 Sat Apr 01 2017 6:03pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Yeah but air suspension can't see whats in front of the car (although I believe that Merc have developed a system that can). So you may be driving along briskly in which case the air suspension is firming itself up to reduce body roll and pitching and then the wheels hit some ruts and potholes and the firmed up air suspension transmits it directly to your backside. Yes I'm sure that JLR has deliberately chosen a range of settings which are firmer than a Disco or FFRR to provide better body control more appropriate to the Sport but as we've agreed, the upside of that better body control is superior handling (although lets not get too carried away there because the RRS is no sports car)

FWIW the latest Disco 5 seems to be more biased to comfort and apparently has excellent ride characteristics. In some ways a superior and better value car than the RRS if you can get past the slightly marmite styling

Post #522555 Sat Apr 01 2017 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1