RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Activity Key for the L494
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

matsoutback

Australia 
Activity Key for the L494

Just a question whether or not the activity key that has been promoted for the new D5 would be compatible with the L494?

Looking at the UK website, there is a Vehicle Prep Kit for the D5.

http://accessories.landrover.com/gb/en/dis...ation-kit/

Personally, living near the beach, this would be fantastic. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #516952 Tue Feb 07 2017 8:36am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I am pretty sure it's not compatible with the L494 RRS.

Post #517000 Tue Feb 07 2017 3:45pm
DavidHem

United Kingdom 

I too would have specced the activity key on my L494 had it been available, I wouldn't be sure it wouldn't wire into an L494, but I doubt it's as easy as plugging in a box and having it enabled as the car sensor is built into the D5 boot.

I guess I will stick to my waterproof bag when I go paddle boarding.

Post #517002 Tue Feb 07 2017 4:59pm
matsoutback

Australia 

I have a feeling this will my first serious mod... I'll try to find out what the kit includes, if it includes the receiver for the boot, I'll be more confident to have a punt. Thumbs Up 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #517072 Wed Feb 08 2017 8:29am
DavidHem

United Kingdom 

Rather than try and fit a kit into a car that it probably isn't meant for, I had been wondering about different ways of protecting the car key from loss and water ingress, a waterproof wrist band that the key fits in to wouldn't be a bad idea.

Post #517084 Wed Feb 08 2017 10:21am
matsoutback

Australia 

I was thinking exactly the same thing today David! Some wearable waterproof compact pouch... The transmitter in the key would be quite small I'd expect. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #517086 Wed Feb 08 2017 10:28am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have a small designed for the job key box on a long neck lanyard that is watertight and I drop down inside the neck seal of my wetsuit when windsurfing and SUP'ing, have had it for years and it has worked fine. IIRC I bought it from Halfords - it's yellow and the RRS L494 fob just fits inside it due to the thickness of the fob, previous RRS's the fob fitted more loosely. Don't forget that you fob is supposed to be waterproof down to 3m IIRC............... but I wouldn't like to be the one that finds out it is only showerproof or is only waterproof down to 1m! Where I live we wear wetsuits year round for windsurfing and paddle boarding or kitesurfing but I could see it not being popular in places where getting a decent suntan is important when on the beach or doing waterborne activities.
This is very similar to what I have but mine has more rounded profile and no sharp corners and is just big enough to hold the key fob, the description here sounds like it is big enough to hold a wallet.......... mine can take credit cards but not a wallet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Airti...2036076413 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #517100 Wed Feb 08 2017 12:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crocs

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Call me an old fogie, but is this not something being produced just because it can be?

When on an activity (yeh, OK, I just walk from the pavement to the pub!), you need something, like a dry bag, to carry your other stuff e.g. phone, cash etc. So, just put your key in that?

Reminds me of when the Americans spent millions of dollars inventing a pen that would work in zero gravity and, when asked what they did, the Russians replied: "we use a pencil"!

Robert

Post #517140 Wed Feb 08 2017 7:17pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

"Reminds me of when the Americans spent millions of dollars inventing a pen that would work in zero gravity and, when asked what they did, the Russians replied: "we use a pencil"!"

Rolling with laughter Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #517141 Wed Feb 08 2017 7:29pm
matsoutback

Australia 

LOL, I get that, but I think there is a real application and practicality to be truely keyless.

Where I live in Queensland (Australia) beach life is part of normal life, where you just wear light board shorts for swimming / surfing / SUP... etc. our weather and water temp doesn't require wet suits, and for only a few months I would consider it a bit cool / uncomfortable. Still we go for ocean swims / activities. People here mostly use a combo lock on their tow bar that holds their key. It's like a small safe, and very exposed. In some vehicles they don't work particularly well because the car senses the key is near and will unlock.

Some vehicles still have a "hard lock", taking the key out of the fob and turning the lock with the key, rendering the keyless entry unusable. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #517160 Wed Feb 08 2017 9:50pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

So basically what you are telling us is that this is JUST a fashion accessory!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #517221 Thu Feb 09 2017 1:35pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Another charity bracelet only this one tells people I was robbed by Land Rover instead letting them see you support Help for Heroes or whatever................. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #517237 Thu Feb 09 2017 3:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

now showing on the Velar adverts too! GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #521004 Wed Mar 15 2017 3:39pm
Weegie

For the grand total of £6 I got a waterproof pouch on a lanyard, with double twist locks and heavy duty plastic, that keeps the current key totally dry despite constant immersion. Fits under a light water sports top like rash vests just as easily as under more robust waterproofs. And since the car is keyless anyway I get the same overall behaviour as the activity key.

When I first saw the activity key on the F-Pace I thought it would be a major factor in the decision given the amount of time I spend getting in/out the car in wet gear. Turns out I like the pouch and lanyard solution better (means I can also chuck some change in for coffees/snacks).

Post #521016 Wed Mar 15 2017 6:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1