Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Critical low oil warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

r99ker

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Critical low oil warning

Hi guys,

Have a 63 plate 3.0 sdv6. Serviced at Land Rover a thousand miles ago/2 months. Done 48,000 miles.

On a journey today, warning lights flash up on dash, along the lines of stop - critical low oil level

I immedielty stopped, waited 10 minutes to check the oil level. Said was full, restarted and fault was gone.

What could this of been? Or just a glitch?

Thanks

Post #517533 Sun Feb 12 2017 6:52pm
r99ker

It is also now displaying Service required.

Even though it has recently been done.

Post #517535 Sun Feb 12 2017 6:59pm
crocs

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

When you say it's also now displaying....... is it displaying both warnings? Could it be that garage has not reset service indicator?

Robert

Post #517553 Sun Feb 12 2017 8:41pm
r99ker

When the low oil warning come on, I did the checks straight away and all was ok. After I restarted it is saying service required. It is no longer saying critical low oil.

Post #517555 Sun Feb 12 2017 9:01pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

This has also happened to me twice on a 63 3.0 sdv6, first time within about 1,000 miles of 2nd service and again at about 55k miles. Both times I've waited to check level on dash, seen it full and continued with no more alerts (and no service demand). See http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic43028.html

Very tricky call to make as there's no physical way of checking oil level. I felt warning must be a glitch as so close to service but I was also nervous as oil level showing as at maximum rather than at optimum level.

Now it's out of warranty I will be more nervous if it reappears but short of draining the engine of oil and refilling there doesn't seem to be any way of confirming which system to believe.

Post #517614 Mon Feb 13 2017 12:49pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have a 2015MY and have had a similar warning "Cannot communicate with remote sensor" or something along those lines from the oil level sensor now 3 times. I've never had the Critical Oil level warning, but whenever the warning I've had comes up on the dash I have pulled over and waited the usual 10 minutes to restart with no further warnings. It is worrying in view of the postings about engine failures and because we have no trusty/ reliable back up dipstick. This the only problem I have had with this car but my last Evoque was a nightmare and led to me selling it on after a year of non stop visits to the dealership for replacements for destroyed DPF sensors. This is my 11th Land Rover product and is more than likely my last purchase of a new one and it will be sold on in 2018 when the warranty runs out. My 1996 Defender just runs and runs, 21 years old and the only replacements outside of routine servicing have been a new transfer box because I damaged the original off-road, a new chassis because LR didn't give proper protection to the original and a new tailgate because the old one fell to bits last year, never had any mechanical problems other than the transfer box in all those years! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #517623 Mon Feb 13 2017 2:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
r99ker

Have used the car since, and seems fine, check oil before all trips on the computer, and it seems right.

When I start the car Service Required flashes, also when I turn off. Even though I had it serviced at Land Rover in November/800 miles ago.

There was no warnings leading up to this about a service being due etc.

What could the reason be? Did the vehicle detect a fault now it's saying service due?

Post #517837 Tue Feb 14 2017 10:46pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I find it an incredibly poor idea and design to rely purely on unreliable electrical methods of measurement of oil level, and should always have a backup, yes a trusty dip stick. I have often had a reading of what I would say is "overfull" rather than normal after full LR service, last two times took back to have checked and correct amount put in. They say they press the button for model of car for correct amount of oil. That works well, as long as you remember to put in correct model, Year, details etc. Obviously they don't always check. Censored Twisted Evil John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #517840 Tue Feb 14 2017 11:20pm
r99ker

What would you guys do if you where in my position?

Post #517844 Tue Feb 14 2017 11:38pm
r99ker

I'm actually scared to drive it(I always think of the worse)

Post #517846 Tue Feb 14 2017 11:40pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Johnski wrote:
...... That works well, as long as you remember to put in correct model, Year, details etc. Obviously they don't always check. Censored Twisted Evil

And that they take out ALL of the old oil, which I'm sure they don't, as it is impossible to let it all run out in the couple of hours allowed for a "main service" even though they are supposed to use a vacuum device to suck out what's left, so you end up with the as bad result of having too much oil in the engine. There is also what happens to the oil they cannot get in........... back to the service agent's storage to use on another car yet you have paid for it? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #517866 Wed Feb 15 2017 9:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Humbug

United Kingdom 

r99ker wrote:

When I start the car Service Required flashes, also when I turn off. Even though I had it serviced at Land Rover in November/800 miles ago.

There was no warnings leading up to this about a service being due etc.

This is the one thing I'd probably be calm about: sounds like they simply forgot to reset the service indicator as it hadn't yet been triggered. As it works on a time/mileage basis rather than any more useful diagnostics it can't tell you've just had the service it's demanding. When they do reset it remember it'll be thousands of miles out on the next service...

Also, with the more important low-level warning: I would try and get them to drain and refill or confirm which sensor system has a glitch. As you'll soon be out of warranty (if not already) put everything in writing to them (including what they refuse to do) in case something disastrous does happen to your engine. Brother-in-law given a new engine in his Disco by LR at 3.5 years because he could prove he'd been on top of things and the dealer hadn't dealt with his concerns.

Post #517964 Thu Feb 16 2017 3:33pm
r99ker

Would there not of been a countdown to day service due in so many days or miles?

Does the low oil warning come on when a service is due?

Called my local Land Rover dealer this morning, Westover in christchurch. They instructed me not to drive it and to call Land Rover assistance immedielty. So I called them, they weren't interested as it expired 28th November last year, the date it was serviced it, when the warranty finished, I knew I didn't have it any way, but just called them as was told too, then called Westovers back up, all service team was busy, took my details, promised a call back, it's now been about 5 hours waiting.

Post #517967 Thu Feb 16 2017 3:45pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

I would have the oil drained and the oil filter checked on metal particals, even if you have to (initially) pay yourself.

Post #517972 Thu Feb 16 2017 4:55pm
r99ker

I got it in to the dealer, no fault codes stored or any issues. What they suggest is that the oil level sensor is close to top of engine and they have seen a few with similar issue to mine and it's supposedly caused by the engine cover being pushed on too firmly, and a bump in the road can spring the fault up.

Post #520122 Mon Mar 06 2017 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>