RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Noise from front offside hub & grease on disc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Angie4m

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
Noise from front offside hub & grease on disc

Hi guys,

I was supposed to be going to hospital but got about a mile from home and had to turn left at a junction and got this awful noise as if there was metal crunching. It seem to be the front offside hub, only happened turning left. Got the car home, just tried to drive it a few hindered yards and turning the wheel I get this grinding, metal twangish noise and I noticed the offside disc is covered in grease.

My initial thoughts when it happened was the hub or wheel bearing. Been trying to see if anyone else has had this. I'm currently to 'take it easy' so I've not had a chance to jack the car yet. Was going to take it to my local Indy but it's 14miles away and I could nurse it there I think but if anyone has an idea I'd be very appreciative.

Cheers!

Angie

Post #516308 Mon Jan 30 2017 6:35pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Wowa! If there's grease on the brake disc then that brake is not working. Not a good idea to drive over 2 tons of car without full braking capacity.

Sounds to me like it needs to be trailered - why not phone your indie and see what they say. Do you have any warranty cover? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #516311 Mon Jan 30 2017 6:50pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

If it helps, I recently had to replace a front wheel bearing and before the change there was a graunching sound when turning in one direction. But no leakage of grease Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #516313 Mon Jan 30 2017 6:53pm
Angie4m

I have done all work myself up to now and have no warranty mainly due to the fact the car has done over 100k miles and warranties don't cover much after that. The grease maybe a red herring and only seems to be there today. I'll probably jack it up, wheel off and have a look. I don't believe my local Indy has a trailer..

Post #516317 Mon Jan 30 2017 7:08pm
shepp

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

How long since the pads were changed? May be something as simple as uneven wear and the inner friction material has completely worn away. They usually make a racket. MY12 RRS HSE
Gone 4.2 supercharged RRS
Gone 90
Gone s2000

Post #516321 Mon Jan 30 2017 7:46pm
Angie4m

Well that was another thought as I need to check when they were last done. I've not done them in the year I've owned the car but I have bought new pads and discs to do the whole car. Just haven't got round to it yet. Normally with a hub or bearing failure they start to make a little noise, this sounds like metal in metal and I've spent a little time on the deck checking for any stuck stones behind the guard which is difficult.

Might see if my Indy can come up and take a look. He's got a disco 3 so he'll no doubt be able to tell straight off.

Post #516324 Mon Jan 30 2017 8:30pm
Angie4m

I've had a look at the wheel again today. The grease that was here just have come from when pressure washing the car and trying to clean out any trapped stuff behind the brake shield. I couldn't get the nuts loose thanks to the last garage using a air wrench on them when fitting the new tyre back in September. However I have assertained after some comparison that the noise of from the brake shield pressing up against the lower half of the brake disc. I've managed to get a bit movement on it and the noise is significantly reduced but still there a little. I'll ask my other half to try and help loosen the nuts to allow me to get the wheel off and see what I can do further.

Post #516372 Tue Jan 31 2017 1:43pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Check the CV boot. A split boot will throw grease out. The noise could be the CV joint starting to fail. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #516405 Tue Jan 31 2017 8:38pm
Angie4m

That was my thought this afternoon. Unfortunately the weathers been horrible today so I never got a chance to get back out but that's tomorrow's task. Although when I was under the car there didn't seem to be any rips or tears in the boot cover. If it is that, I'll juat have the car recovered to the garage.

Post #516410 Tue Jan 31 2017 10:09pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

That sounds a lot like a front wheel bearing collapsing. I have renewed both of mine at different times (currently on 120,000 miles). The bearing seems to go in a catastrophic way when it gives up the ghost and with little warning.

If you jack the car up and try to rock the wheel at top and bottom, you will soon see if it has gone.

New bearings are pricey as they come as a complete hub, but at least you do not have to press a cartridge bearing in and out. It is secured by 4 bolts. Your local factor should carry replacements (mine does).

Adam..

Post #516441 Wed Feb 01 2017 2:04pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If it is the wheel bearing, get the Timken OEM ones, not cheap aftermarket versions. Also note that the hub nut torque has been markedly reduced by LR following early failures of bearings. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #516468 Wed Feb 01 2017 8:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1