RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Headlamp Levelling Fault - and possible upgrade?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Headlamp Levelling Fault - and possible upgrade?

My nearside headlamp has an intermittent fault. After the initial "dance" when switched on it sometimes comes to rest pointing 6 feet in front of the RRS. It was booked into the local stealer for "summer check" as I've only recently bought it, and so I asked them to have a look at the headlamp issue. Yes sir, your headlamp is faulty - that'll be £1093.92 please Big Cry - "...and it only takes half an hour". (BTW the "summer check" included a wash and vacuum and all for £29.95 so that can't be bad).
Its early days with trying to suss out the fault. I've tried turning the lights on and off. Also tried turning off the engine and then restarting. No luck! On one occasion I turned off the engine, locked the car, waited 10 seconds and then restarted everything and it leveled up OK. The trouble with an intermittent fault is that you can only try to fix it when you have the fault. Checked it last night after it had been sitting in the drive for a few hours and it all worked fine! Sad Confused
Now I know there are a good few posts on the forum about headlamps and I was wondering whether there is an option to get the headlamp unit looked at as part of an upgrade to say halo lighting, or change them to LEDs or something. Are they serviceable?
So the question for the forum is, what are my options? What would you do? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #495632 Wed May 11 2016 9:01am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's a new headlight unit, sadly. The price quoted by the dealer is criminal, however. For a start, it takes no more than 5 minutes to change both headlight units. 30 minutes to do one is a joke.

An example price:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/272237766081?rmvSB...noapp=true 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #495669 Wed May 11 2016 4:11pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The "time allowed" guides for doing many jobs on our cars are the worst case scenario, and if charged for time actually taken was charged, you would save hundreds of pounds on many jobs. Even basic jobs like Air Filters etc don't take 40'.
At my brothers service centre this argument of knowing what a service or job will cost in advance as being an advantage only fits them not the customer. (We often have heated debates) Many of the jobs don't take the 2.5 hours labor billed in price, and the argument that you could gain a lot, as it could take a long time to do with seized nuts etc has already been allowed for.
If the small garages and workshops charged like that, they would soon be out of business. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #495715 Wed May 11 2016 11:18pm
Eaters

Hi folks.
An update on my headlamp issue. Well I haven't changed the unit yet. I've been living with the intermittent fault in the hope that it will just go away. And in any case with lighter evenings it's not been a priority. The fault still happens from time to time. And when it does occur, so far I've been able to fix it with a process called trial and error involving switching off lights, engine and locking until the lights level up properly. (Has anyone else notice that the "dance" does not happen every time you turn the lights on even when they are working properly?)
Anyway, the problem has always been with the near side unit until the other day when the nearside one was fine but the offside one stayed in a downward position. This leads me to hope that it's a software or boot up issue rather than the unit itself. Or is it that both units are going and I need to remortgage the house 😟
Do we have any sparks out there who understand how these things work and can clarify how the lighting system works before I lash out on new units that may not be the real problem? Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #502098 Wed Aug 03 2016 8:57pm
eugeneville

United Kingdom 

Have you managed to progress with the headlight issue of yours?
Have you decided to change out the headlight unit itself or found it to be a software issue?

Hope all is well now,
Cheers. 2010 Supercharged

Post #516016 Fri Jan 27 2017 6:03pm
Eaters

See my update here http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45088-...4fb324d665 Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #516054 Sat Jan 28 2017 12:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1