RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > replace supercharger coolant pump (how to)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

shepp

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
replace supercharger coolant pump (how to)

Hello
since on Holiday in the South of France i found my auxilairy coolant pump was wired the wrong way round (running backwards). When climbing at 80mph I would get reduced engine power after a while.
So i purchased a new aux coolant pump PN; PEB500010 (£105 Delivered from a dealer)
I located the TSB LTB00041 (i would share but dont know how to insert an adobe file)
Remove the engine cover

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

then remove the cooling fan upper cover ( just clips off)
the pump is located below the coolant bottle, fixed by a plastic bracket, use a 8mm socket to remove one of the bolts securing the bracket around the pump
Click image to enlarge
Clamp the coolant pipe as shown in the pic, (only one needs clamping at the moment)
press in the metal clip securing the electrical connector on the base of the pump, and disconnect the lower pipe that has been clamped, ensuring you have an old towel to soak up the excess coolant ( I removed the lower service pannel to oil filter, for better access and light) then sopport the pipe facing upwards and flush the engine bay with water.
Click image to enlarge

Easiest way to wire the correct way around is to remove the lugs on the socket on the pump (otherwise it will not fit). I used a quality wood chisel to shave the luds off
befor with two lugs
Click image to enlarge

after removed lugs
Click image to enlarge

easier than trying to rewire the plug the correct way round
BLACK SHOULD BE -
BROWN/PURPLE SHOULD BE +
BUT LIKE MOST MINE WAS THE WRONG WAY ROUND HENCE THE MOD.
Since the lower pipe and plug are disconnected, remove the pump with the top hose connected.
remove top hose and install to new pump(this way you have no coolant loss from the upper pipe)
feed new pump back down in place and connect the electric connector the correct way round, ensuring it clics into place so it will not fall off.
then connect the lower hose,
and resecure the pump in the bracket.
then bleed (arms cut to Censored ) the coolant, take off the coolant lid and open the bleed screw on top of the bottle and turn key to position 2,
The pump will come to life and bleed its self,
leave approx 10 mins to bleed, tighten the screw and the coolant cap, and replace all engine covers etc.
Take car for a stready spin stop and carefully remove coolant bottle cap and release air and top up (should only need 100 to 200cl) Coolant cost approx £11 from dealer.

Post #350465 Wed Jul 11 2012 9:05pm
mrfrog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Thanks for the helpful guide, I replaced my pump this week end and found the following may be useful to others.

-Rather than try and disconnect pipes at the pump, which is fiddly, I disconnected pipes at the other ends (radiator and supercharger). Coolant loss was minimal and threading pipes through the maze of other pipes was easy.
-I removed the plastic cover between the oil pan cover and front passenger wheel, used trim clip pliers to pull out the center of the four plastic holders, then easily removed the plastic plugs and the plastic cover.
-I removed the pump from the underside of the engine bay and refitted from the top.

Finally, be very careful with the pipe returning to the supercharger, it runs fairly close to the serpentine belt, if the pump is located too low in the bracket, the belt could easily rub against the pipe and rupture it. 

"Roads ? Where we're going there are no roads." Back to the future.

Post #389916 Thu Jul 25 2013 2:03pm
CUCO

Spain 

why a new pump is needed? the only problem I see is the brushes worn wrong way, but they will put soon well seated as the rotor start to turn the right direction.

Post #389925 Thu Jul 25 2013 3:19pm
mrfrog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

CUCO wrote:
why a new pump is needed? the only problem I see is the brushes worn wrong way, but they will put soon well seated as the rotor start to turn the right direction.

The TSB suggests replacing the pump iirc. Switching power might have worked, but a new pump isn't super-expensive, so job done right first time Wink 

"Roads ? Where we're going there are no roads." Back to the future.

Post #390201 Sat Jul 27 2013 5:41pm
Steve j

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Supercharger Coolant Pump Re-wire

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and also new to RRS; I'm not new to cars/motorbikes though, so am keen to sort any easier to mid-ranged repair jobs myself. I have a (new to me) 2005 RRS S/C that recently showed the 'REDUCED PERFORMANCE' fault. This was after a short burst of very heavy driving. Power seemed fine initially when the warning appeared, and then actually did reduce. I have checked the internet for the possible cause of this and came across the auxiliary coolant pump issues. Surprise surprise, my car also falls within the published VIN range for the known reversed wiring problem. This would therefore need to be my first line of investigation.
Shepp, thanks very much for taking the time to produce this guide, I have found it very useful. My plan is to try the re-wire first and if the fault comes back I will buy a new auxiliary pump.
My question for anybody who has done the re-wire is this:- Is it not possible to access the offending pump wires a little bit higher up on the loom and just cut/swap them there? (thus negating the removal of the actual pump etc.)
I realise that the small loom/trunking would need to be split, and that the subsequent cropped connections would need to be sound, water-tight and properly insulated, but this would seem to be a quicker and simpler fix for just the re-wiring solution. Unless of course the loom feeding the plug/pump disappears downwards and away underneath the engine etc.
Any thoughts and tips on this would be greatly appreciated...
Regards
Steve J

Post #515552 Mon Jan 23 2017 2:54pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

You don't need to remove the pump to rewire it, you only need to remove the small plastic under tray on the passenger side to access the pump. I put mine in offroad and it took around 15 mins to do (not a lot of wire nor space).
To open the plastic shielding would be a big job, not only that but further down the line, if the pump does fail the chap who comes to replace the pump won't be able to see that the wiring has already been switched and may rewire it again.

Post #515560 Mon Jan 23 2017 3:31pm
Steve j

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Yeah fairplay I suppose regarding the loom attack theory if somebody else is working on it, although I was planning on doing the pump myself if it was shown to be on the blink following the wire job.
If its only dropping the plastic tray underneath, I will probably stick with the plug-mod fix then, and leave the wiring in tact.

Post #515563 Mon Jan 23 2017 3:40pm
Danny_RRSSC

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Does anyone else have pictures of this job?
I’m getting the restricted performance and then cutting out when it’s really hot and won’t start till it’s cooled 😔.

Gonna have ago at switching the wiring over and do the pump if it’s easy enough.

Cheers

Post #603401 Mon Aug 17 2020 7:19pm
mgrover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

i dont have pics but i did it few months back. really easy job tbh.id remove the headlight then the pump is pretty much directly beneath that. you may need to get under the car to undo the wiring but other than that should be fine.

Post #603493 Thu Aug 20 2020 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1