RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Dynamic mode - what does it actually do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

hafman

United Kingdom 
Dynamic mode - what does it actually do?

The handbook is pretty vague, with phrases like "to help enhance the vehicle's traction, handling and driveability". But what does it actually do? Does it change throttle response (and if so how is that different from Sport mode on the gearstick?), or reduce body roll (and if so would it make the passenger ride more comfortable?).

I have a MY15 Autobiography Dynamic and other than a quick play with it yesterday on the motorway I have not yet worked out why I would use it.

TIA

Post #513934 Mon Jan 09 2017 2:20pm
midsman

United Kingdom 

I am sure that you will receive plenty of technical replies covering the subject. I think that it is one of life's mysteries because I cannot find anything specific in LR literature quantifying what happens when you switch to Dynamic mode. It purports to stiffen up the shock absorbers thus giving a firmer ride, but does not state by how much, It does however turn the instrument panel red so you think that something sporty has happened. To be honest I just stick our car in Auto all Terrain mode and we have no problems. But then again we do not practice drifting around corners and driving on the edge. Perhaps you need a race track to gain the maximum benefit from Dynamic mode. 2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography Dynamic SDV6
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Luxury- Santori Black with Autobiography Ebony/ Ivory interior- SOLD

Post #513940 Mon Jan 09 2017 2:44pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Dynamic response changes the "map" of the steering and suspension systems to make the car feel more sporty. It won't be noticeable on a motorway as it is meant for sweeping bends and twisty roads that can be taken at high speed. The additional weighting of the steering and the firming up of the suspension are the most noticeable effects but the way it reduces the body roll is impressive on twisty roads. The difference between Dynamic mode and using S in the gear box is that S changes the shift pattern making the car hold onto revs right up to the point where if you haven't pulled a paddle to shift up then it will do it for you, Dynamic mode has no effect on the gearbox/ shift pattern. If you use your L494 Dynamic off-road the Dynamic system also dislocates the rear anti rolll bar automatically to improve articulation if needs be to extend a wheel down some 10cm extra until it finds something to grip on. The amount of suspension stiffening is variable and adjusted at something like 300 times a minute or more depending on the road surface.

My last two Evoques also had dynamic mode but it was the Mk1 version with Magneride struts, I used it once on a long section of rippled concrete surface on the M40 and it got terribly confused and uncomfortable and I had to switch it off. When I ask LR about the effect I was told in no uncertain terms that it wasn't meant for motorways but for fast back roads and twisty mountain roads that could be driven more quickly. I do use it on the local A roads when I drive into town as it does make a difference to the handling when you want to overtake quickly and in both Evoque and RRS2 it kills body roll almost completely adding to confidence. You can use S and Dynamic mode in conjunction for really sporty driving. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #513942 Mon Jan 09 2017 3:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hafman

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your replies; we are still new to RRS ownership. On a recent skiing trip the passengers (and to be honest me also) found the twisty roads on the higher altitude bits (~7,000+ feet) quite uncomfortable. Dry roads, no snow. That could have been exacerbated by the effects of altitude (we had climbed up to that height from low down quite quickly), or perhaps my driving skills Embarassed Very Happy . Maybe in hindsight I should have used Dynamic mode, and I will try to use it more often.

Post #513948 Mon Jan 09 2017 3:53pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

One other point re Dynamic, if you are in Dynamic with the gearbox in S then it will not change up for you, you will bounce off the limiter.... 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #513951 Mon Jan 09 2017 5:02pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
but the way it reduces the body roll is impressive on twisty roads.

Is that actually correct? I have a standard 2014 HSE without the Dynamic package but my car still has something called Adaptive Dynamics which as I understand it is a form of variable damper control to maintain body control during cornering. I may be wrong but I thought the Dynamic package was basically a sportier version of Adaptive Dynamics. When I bought my HSE, I test drove the standard HSE and the HSE Dynamic and I couldn't sense much of a difference during cornering, at least not enough to justify paying several thousand quid more for the Dynamic version. The RRS or indeed any L-R is never going to be a sports car and if you're driving the RRS at such a speed that the Dynamic package is the difference between going off the road and not, you're probably driving too fast anyway Smile

Having said that I'm due to chop in my HSE this year and I have arranged to test the HSE Dynamic again but over an extended period so maybe I'll change my mind

Post #513952 Mon Jan 09 2017 5:13pm
wilf

In a Sport with the "dynamic" pack the anti roll system does indeed "stiffen" the anti roll bars to reduce roll, as well as changing the shock absorber characteristics.

I find it quite useful in lulling my passenger (aka the automatic speed limiter) into a false sense of security because the car corners so flat. Suspect it would help with car sickness, too.

In a Sport without the dynamic pack, you only get the shock absorbers altering. You won't feel any difference in ride, but they will resist roll in corners more.

This effect will also happen automatically if the car senses you are driving "enthusiastically". Quite what the parameters are for that I don't know. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #513953 Mon Jan 09 2017 5:37pm
kmpowell

In dynamic mode, I find the engine holds onto the gear a fraction longer up the rev range before shifting up/down. Making it more 'sporty' and urgent. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #513955 Mon Jan 09 2017 5:57pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

What effect does dynamic mode have on economy, if any? (Assuming that you're not going mad in dynamic mode, i.e. comparing 'like with like')

Post #513959 Mon Jan 09 2017 6:31pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

With Dynamic mode RRS has hydraulically controlled anti roll bars,

Click image to enlarge

on diagram above, No 2 part is controlled by hydraulic pressure and it can apply counteracting force to level the car, so while the RRS is going around a bend and as it rolls to one side, oil pressure will cause the active roll bar to push and pull the suspension on opposite way to keep the RRS almost flat, quite clever.

As dynamic mode also make the throttle more responsive and hold the gears longer, and also takes some engine power to run the hydraulic system, fuel economy is bit lower then the normal mode.

Post #513968 Mon Jan 09 2017 7:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mikef wrote:
Quote:
but the way it reduces the body roll is impressive on twisty roads.

Is that actually correct? I have a standard 2014 HSE without the Dynamic package but my car still has something called Adaptive Dynamics which as I understand it is a form of variable damper control to maintain body control during cornering. I may be wrong but I thought the Dynamic package was basically a sportier version of Adaptive Dynamics.

Dynamic (the spec level) brings a whole lot of extra kit to the vehicle including two-speed transfer box, torque vectoring by braking / locking rear axle differential, rock crawl, Dynamic Response (hydraulic anti roll bars to give good articulation off road and stiffer bars on road) etc.

Active Dynamics is just adjustable rate dampers and is a follow over from the system on original RRS.

To be honest, the Dynamic pack (either as HSE Dynamic or as an HSE with the on/off road pack specified) makes the RRS a proper Land Rover. It gives it the full capabilities. Standard HSE lacks the off road kit and is really just a bigger, nicer riding, Evoque. Ironically, the Dynamic is also the better road vehicle too because of the other bits.

My guess is that marketing got involved and wanted everything to include "dynamic" in the name... Rolling Eyes It's a very confusing set of names and really just makes the whole thing confusing for the customer. My view is that this is deliberate. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #513969 Mon Jan 09 2017 7:46pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

On a normal test drive I suspect you would never get to experience the difference between Dynamic cars and non-Dynamic. Maybe on an LRE day out. There are other bits of kit such as the rear e-diff on the Dynamic cars that the non-Dynamic hasn't got and is an expensive option to spec on non-Dynamics. It isn't much help on the road but on 22" road tyres off-road it makes a world of difference in helping to keep you inching forward, off road it seems to work a lot all the time! I think the non-Dynamic also relies more on it's torque vectoring for fast/ twisty cornering which doesn't help disk/ pad life.

I suspect RRSTDV8 that the marketing men got it just about right - not all owners are like you and me and happy to get a bit of mud in the wheel arches or on the roof.............. Those who only want the car for long distance cruising with what amounts to an AWD system like a Volve XC/ Cross Country or any Audi or BMW think that the low range and other kit is extra weight that they will never use. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Jan 09 2017 7:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #513970 Mon Jan 09 2017 7:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Difference between HSE and HSE Dynamic in the "transmission and driving dynamics" department.

HSE

Quote:
8-speed Automatic Transmission
Electric Parking Brake (EPB)
Speed proportional Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS)
Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
Electronic Traction Control (ETC)
Hill Descent Control (HDC)
Four Corner Air Suspension (FCAS) includes auto-access height
Reactive Grounding Response
Single-speed transfer box
Terrain Response
Adaptive Dynamics
Sports Command Driving Position
Intelligent Stop/Start System
Gradient Acceleration Control (GAC)
Gradient Release Control (GRC)
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
Low Traction Launch

HSE Dynamic
Quote:
8-speed Automatic Transmission
Electric Parking Brake (EPB)
Speed proportional Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS)
Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
Electronic Traction Control (ETC)
Hill Descent Control (HDC)
Four Corner Air Suspension (FCAS) includes auto-access height
Reactive Grounding Response
Twin-speed transfer box
Terrain Response 2

Adaptive Dynamics
Dynamic Response
Dynamic Programme
Torque Vectoring by Braking
Performance Enhancement (Increase In Top Speed)

Sports Command Driving Position
Intelligent Stop/Start System
Gradient Acceleration Control (GAC)
Gradient Release Control (GRC)
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
All Terrain Progress Control (ATPC)
Low Traction Launch
 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #513971 Mon Jan 09 2017 7:52pm
RRSTDV8

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I think the non-Dynamic also relies more on it's torque vectoring for fast/ twisty cornering which doesn't help disk/ pad life.

You don't get torque vectoring on non-Dynamic unless you spend £3.5k on the on/off road pack. Then you get a Dynamic by any other name.

Quote:
I suspect RRSTDV8 that the marketing men got it just about right - not all owners are like you and me and happy to get a bit of mud in the wheel arches or on the roof.............. Those who only want the car for long distance cruising with what amounts to an AWD system like a Volve XC/ Cross Country or any Audi or BMW think that the low range and other kit is extra weight that they will never use.

You may be right, Tim. It seems a bit more of the watering down of the brand to me. Why bother with all of the kit on FFRR when they are also mostly cruisers these days? Likewise the rest of the stable.

Maybe LR should do "town" and "country" versions...or "motorway" and "byway" versions, perhaps Cool

I though LR's products were cool and desirable exactly because they're capable of going anywhere. Now it seems that just the badge is enough. Much like BMW and "the ultimate driving machine" I guess.

I'm feeling a bit sad now. Big Cry 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #513973 Mon Jan 09 2017 7:59pm
wilf

When I decided not to buy the "new" XF (as it doesn't have anything like the same "feel" as the X250 facelift version) I tried a RRS twice and just didn't like the way it drove. The XF was such a sweet handling car I was spoiled.

Then the salesman told me to take it out again, find my favourite country lanes, stick it in "Dynamic" and "Sport" and "give it the beans".

I did.

It was a revelation.

That something so tall could charge around corners the way it does was simply remarkable. It can out-corner a Cayenne, supposedly the doyenne of sporting SUVs, easily.

THAT is what the "dynamic" pack is about. After that test drive I put down the deposit. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #513977 Mon Jan 09 2017 8:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>